Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2543 2544 [2545] 2546 2547 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4223736 times)

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #38160 on: July 20, 2020, 09:01:10 am »

Posting this for its uniqueness as a more-or-less-conservative-op-ed on the current situation.

https://thehill.com/opinion/campaign/507984-for-the-left-its-not-just-a-presidential-election-its-a-total-takeover

It's so far into conspiracy theory territory, I don't know what even; but still interesting to read, if just to scratch my head and go "Is that what they really perceive?"

On a side note, I'd suggest generally steering clear of this publication (The Hill). Aside from the somewhat unpleasant bias they have going on (which I suppose is more of a personal taste thing), in recent times they've had some serious journalistic issues.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38161 on: July 20, 2020, 09:54:23 am »

I mean at this point it's just as reasonable to assume it's headcrabs, grab your crowbars folks.

Spoiler: Prescient (click to show/hide)
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #38162 on: July 20, 2020, 12:56:16 pm »

Posting this for its uniqueness as a more-or-less-conservative-op-ed on the current situation.

https://thehill.com/opinion/campaign/507984-for-the-left-its-not-just-a-presidential-election-its-a-total-takeover

It's so far into conspiracy theory territory, I don't know what even; but still interesting to read, if just to scratch my head and go "Is that what they really perceive?"
Mentioning Nixon as an apparent conservative icon, despite his criminal activities in office.

For several years there was a growing "Nixon was a great President, untill he fucked up by trying to cheat in an election he was going to win anyway!" movement. This died off whem more of his other problems (most notably his sabotage of the Vietmam peace talks so he could use it in his bid for the White House) started getting more of a spotlight, nut it is not coming out of nowhere.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #38163 on: July 20, 2020, 01:12:17 pm »

U.S. District Judge Esther Salas is presiding over the Deutsche Bank/Jeffrey Epstein civil case after it was assigned to her 4 days ago.

Her husband and son were shot in their home this evening by a gunman dressed as a FedEx driver. Son died, husband is in critical condition.

https://twitter.com/AdamJLowy/status/1285029994079686661

What can you even say at this point.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38165 on: July 20, 2020, 04:06:25 pm »

Eh, there's some truth to the tweet but also missing some significant parts. For example, we're 24 years now from the big bipartisan vote in favor of the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA).

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #38166 on: July 20, 2020, 04:13:51 pm »

We seem to have regressed on other things though, like climate change. Remember Al Gore?
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #38167 on: July 20, 2020, 04:17:39 pm »

Public views have generally improved across the board, IMO. But late-stage capitalism will only incentivize greater distance between public will and power-holders. The DNC has very little to do with what people actually think, and more with being scared of the Republicans. That's all they believe in, being scared of Republicans, and yet they can't even find ways to ratfuck the GOP despite being a larger political group. It's like living satire.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38168 on: July 20, 2020, 04:27:32 pm »

In the article I read, it said that the judge presided over the trial of the most dangerous gangster in Newark and sent him to prison for 46 years. This seems more like unsubtle, vindictive gangster tactics rather than a covert assassination.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38169 on: July 20, 2020, 04:42:25 pm »

We seem to have regressed on other things though, like climate change. Remember Al Gore?

We're 23 years out from a unanimous (albeit just in the Senate) vote denouncing the Kyoto Protocol for its potential costs to the U.S. economy.

That said, Democrats have long had a messy relationship with climate policy. Often interested in doing the right thing conceptually while politically terrified (perhaps rightly so, sadly) of the scale of action needed. As one might imagine, that doesn't translate to effective policy progress.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #38170 on: July 20, 2020, 04:47:34 pm »

The gunman was found dead in his car, and is identified as Roy Den Hollander, an extremist MRA lawyer. He was dying of cancer and apparently shot another MRA lawyer recently, as well as having a case before this judge.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #38171 on: July 20, 2020, 05:09:43 pm »

If I wanted to kill a judge that's exactly the kind of person I would hire to do it

I had a long monologue with my mother earlier attempting to describe all the conspiracy theories surrounding Epstein and his accomplice. There was a lot of "of course this is only a conspiracy theory" said. Halfway through we realised she thought I was talking about Weinstein and hadn't put to memory about Epstein and his death. So there was much confusion.

I can honestly say I have no idea what to believe.
Love, scriver~

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #38172 on: July 20, 2020, 05:17:20 pm »

I don't think there's any Epstein connection to this one, and I do think the government is killing people who could expose Epstein connections. Hollander's extremism as well as his public musing that he'd do a mass shooting to own the "Feminazis" is well known. He's probably even been discussed on this forum before.

I think this is pretty clearly what it looks like - Hollander trying to clean up his unfinished business in a hail of bullets and then shoot himself before he could succumb to cancer. He was even in a lawsuit against the hospital that treated him for that cancer.
No Gods, No Masters.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38173 on: July 20, 2020, 05:28:22 pm »

The gunman was found dead in his car, and is identified as Roy Den Hollander, an extremist MRA lawyer. He was dying of cancer and apparently shot another MRA lawyer recently, as well as having a case before this judge.
(That site not available in "most of Europe", for the usual legal/technical reasons (and no interest in actually un-geoblocking, no doubt), which still includes the UK it seems... ;))

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #38174 on: July 20, 2020, 05:51:44 pm »

Hollander’s website rails against “Feminazism” and features a bizarre, conspiratorial screed against a Russian woman he married in 2000. He wrote that he met her while managing a Moscow detective agency, Kroll Associates. Hollander claimed in a lawsuit seething with anti-immigrant sentiment that the woman began working at the strip club FlashDancers and used him only in an effort to obtain citizenship.

Sounds more like he ordered a Russian bride. I'd laugh more at the diabolical irony if he hadn't just killed someone.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 05:53:33 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 2543 2544 [2545] 2546 2547 ... 3566