Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2508 2509 [2510] 2511 2512 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4223855 times)

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #37635 on: June 27, 2020, 12:46:35 pm »

Wages never increased since those 40-60's entered the workforce back-in-the-day.  Meanwhile companies want to rely on public and secondary education to provide all the work training they don't want to pay for, as shareholder profits must increase indefinitely.

Sad fact is neither the gov nor private companies want to provide X for their citizens/employees.

Gather 100 of your closest friends and try to start a business. Then come back to me in 5 years and tell me if you have the same opinion.

The government's problem is it is trying to please everyone - at least ostensibly enough to prevent civil war.  Companies in the US are trying to stay solvent despite other countries that due to culture or government can produce goods for stupendously lower cost than US employees are willing to accept or at prices US consumers are willing to pay.  Yeah you can find examples of companies sitting on tons of cash or dodging taxes or whatever.  But where do you think those companies get their revenue?  Most of the biggest corps are not getting funded by tax dollars.

If only it were as simple as "corporate boards are evil" - if that was the case you could just vote them out and put in non-evil people.  Same for politicians - there is a reason change is not really observed even in districts where people changed their votes.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37636 on: June 27, 2020, 12:58:04 pm »

A corporation shareholder board is literally designed to have ever increasing profit. It is the explicit purpose of a corporation that has shareholders. The world is not infinite, and the drive for infinite growth unsustainable. I see it in my own (private) company, where the leaders keep wanting to keep growing their profits infinitely. It's not possible.

Edit:
What I mean is that so often, we see cost cutting measures that harm the workers be used to keep increasing profit in an already profitable corporation. The modern corporate system is seperate from the small business system, and is incredibly broken.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 01:02:44 pm by Doomblade187 »
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37637 on: June 27, 2020, 02:05:15 pm »

Most of the biggest corps are not getting funded by tax dollars.

How many received bailouts this year due to covid?  Or years ago due to the recession?  How much money goes into subsudizing agriculture or better yet near obsolete fossil fuels?  How much money goes into lobbying to ensure gov will proclaim things too big to fail?

At some point you can't really blame consumers forever for the actions of large businesses.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #37638 on: June 27, 2020, 02:10:46 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37639 on: June 27, 2020, 04:07:29 pm »

I had an idea, and I wanted your guys' input on it: what about "Democracy by Accretion" ?

Long-ish rant on congressional apportionment a the 17th amendment to follow.

That was a good read, thanks for writing that out for me Sluissa.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37640 on: June 27, 2020, 04:58:42 pm »

A corporation shareholder board is literally designed to have ever increasing profit. It is the explicit purpose of a corporation that has shareholders.
Please stop spreading this myth.  This not part of corporate law in the US.  I mean even Medium.com will tell you this is not true.  There is even at least one Supreme Court ruling that put the nail in the coffin.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #37641 on: June 27, 2020, 05:04:31 pm »

A corporation shareholder board is literally designed to have ever increasing profit. It is the explicit purpose of a corporation that has shareholders.
Please stop spreading this myth.  This not part of corporate law in the US.  I mean even Medium.com will tell you this is not true.  There is even at least one Supreme Court ruling that put the nail in the coffin.

What do people buy shares in a company for?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37642 on: June 27, 2020, 05:10:00 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 01:28:11 pm by dragdeler »
let

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #37643 on: June 27, 2020, 05:20:45 pm »

How about accretion, but with alternating days of complete executive power. Every year another election is held, actually scratch that, just make it 4 years and the person added can't be the same party as the last guy.

This is good for Bazooka Party.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37644 on: June 27, 2020, 05:24:06 pm »

Ultimately corporations exist only for indemnification and limitation of liability.  In exchange there are all kinds of oversight and accounting rules.

Basically: if you are a shareholder, your liability is only the price of the share; a shareholder is not liable for the debt of the company and in most circumstances a shareholder is not liable for a company doing something illegal.

Mostly though people buy shares with the hope they will win the stock lottery - to get the benefit of either dividends or some other fool investor paying more for the share than they did.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37645 on: June 27, 2020, 05:41:12 pm »

Nevermind, I don't care.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2020, 03:06:57 am by Max™ »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #37646 on: June 27, 2020, 05:43:11 pm »

why wouldn’t a nation want the general standard of living increased?
The worker drones would be less inclined to work themselves to death to be able to afford their coffins.
Please don't go...The Drones need you...They look up to you
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37647 on: June 27, 2020, 06:05:12 pm »

The abuses of corporate and finance law don't change the purpose of companies.

I mean if there is one universal trait of humanity is that it can corrupt just about anything.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37648 on: June 27, 2020, 06:47:00 pm »

look, I know that there are some corporations that *don't* do the bullshit.

But most of them do only go for profit. Shareholders demand stock buybacks and cuts to benefits to improve their income. That's how it goes. The corporation wants profit above all else, even the "benign" ones, like the one I work for. Profit above all else is inherently unsustainable, and corporations *aren't* pivoting to adjust for that.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37649 on: June 28, 2020, 04:38:40 pm »

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53212685

Days without cartoonishly evil incident: 0

Also, here's the transcript from his latest interview with Hannity, for those who'd like some casual reading. Highlights include Trump being the most innocent person in the history of the United States.
Pages: 1 ... 2508 2509 [2510] 2511 2512 ... 3566