Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2505 2506 [2507] 2508 2509 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4223567 times)

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #37590 on: June 25, 2020, 06:26:24 pm »

I mean, I probably would've taken it as a reference to death, not lynching, even after the new (black) driver came in, and if we're totally honest I'm probably more racially aware than most of the guys in that garage are (not that they're necessarily racist, just that they probably don't think about racial biases and prejudice as much as someone sensitized to the issue through personal experience or media exposure).

Probably saw it and figured it was some kind of reference/joke to how lethal NASCAR can be at times, or a edgy Ooh-rah sort of thing where the driver is a spectre of death for his opponents or something. It doesn't surprise me that it was overlooked until it became horrifyingly relevant.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37591 on: June 25, 2020, 07:10:04 pm »

I'd be very surprised if the symbolism of the noose was lost on them. I know the whole "death" thing is there, but presumably whoever did it is from Alabama*. You'd have to be extremely sheltered to not understand the other connotations of a noose here. Probably just didn't care or thought it was funny.

*I guess they could be from out of state, no idea how much of NASCAR at Talladega is actually from in-state.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 07:12:59 pm by A Thing »
Wasteland 1 & 2
"Power Couple: Markus Athing & Cyborg 45"

Makes me curious, can cyborgs have future babies too?
On the offchance they can, I know who I want my daddy to be
(finished)Age of Decadence

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #37592 on: June 25, 2020, 07:15:37 pm »

NASCAR staff are from all over while the track itself has its own local crew. When this was thought to be a threat it was widely speculated that it was a member of track crew who did this, as Wallace is familiar with and generally liked by actual NASCAR employees. It is probably still more likely than not that whoever originally tied the noose was track crew, for whatever reason they did it.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #37593 on: June 25, 2020, 07:58:49 pm »

I remember my friends and I in high school went through a noose-tying phase, because that's the kind of kids we were. Shoelaces, strings from packaging, wire, whatever was string-based in nature, we'd all practice making little mini-nooses, the kind of thing you could hang a mouse with.

That said we wouldn't leave them lying around where people would find them. We might have hung them in our own cars, or off our key chains. But leaving it somewhere that someone else would find it it was clearly understood to be sending a message, which we weren't about.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37594 on: June 26, 2020, 07:53:58 am »

While on the topic of ropes to hang oneself with, I think that Sean Hannity has discretely extended that opportunity to Trump quite generously last night-- Sadly, the venue is ribaldly in favor of Trump, but the Q and A session, especially with the answers given, are a riot, and full of political suicide worthy fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooNn1oL9VWk

Politifact and Snopes need to break this thing down with some fact checking, but I expect that their meter would go so far into the "Pants On Fire" range, that they would have difficulty properly depicting it.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #37595 on: June 26, 2020, 07:57:25 am »

Conservative facebook friends are all getting behind Jo Jorgensen and her platform which appears to me to be made entirely of bad memes.

Might draw in a good amount of votes from our two unpopular candidates, and might have a good percent if everywhere goes Kentucky with disenfranchisement.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #37596 on: June 26, 2020, 10:11:47 am »

Jo Jorgensen and her platform which appears to me to be made entirely of bad memes.
Is...Is that... a JOJO REFERENCE?!?
*runs away*
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37597 on: June 26, 2020, 11:00:40 am »

Jo Jorgensen and her platform which appears to me to be made entirely of bad memes.
Is...Is that... a JOJO REFERENCE?!?
*runs away*

Why are you running? Not enough Mojo?  ;)
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #37598 on: June 26, 2020, 01:11:40 pm »

I'd be very surprised if the symbolism of the noose was lost on them. I know the whole "death" thing is there, but presumably whoever did it is from Alabama*. You'd have to be extremely sheltered to not understand the other connotations of a noose here. Probably just didn't care or thought it was funny.

*I guess they could be from out of state, no idea how much of NASCAR at Talladega is actually from in-state.
No, I don't mean that they wouldn't understand it, I meant they probably didn't think about it that way. I'm quite sure they knew lynchings to be things - but it's one thing to know a historical fact, and quite another to connect it with something in the modern day, especially something like this where there are other, equally plausible explanations for it that aren't malicious.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #37599 on: June 26, 2020, 04:32:12 pm »

I'm quite sure they knew lynchings to be things - but it's one thing to know a historical fact, and quite another to connect it with something in the modern day, especially something like this where there are other, equally plausible explanations for it that aren't malicious.
All those other uses for nooses, ay?
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37600 on: June 26, 2020, 05:28:10 pm »

something like this where there are other, equally plausible explanations for it that aren't malicious.
This particular incident might be a bad example but in general, yes, there is a growing trend where anything that can be interpreted maliciously is immediately flagged as always having that malicious intent.  This is quite concerning in many ways, since it basically means all speech is going to be stifled out of fear of offending someone.

There is a rational line between having some grit and just ignoring "schoolyard" bullies who tease to see what they can get away with versus ignoring true abusive behavior.  While the line is somewhat subjective, I feel like we've gone beyond the line, where anything that has ever once been used in a demeaning way is now forever condemned regardless of context or any other usage.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #37601 on: June 26, 2020, 05:30:42 pm »

For whom among us would ever wish to lose the valuable non-racist contribution of nooses
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37602 on: June 26, 2020, 06:04:11 pm »

I think nooses were always used for hanging

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #37603 on: June 26, 2020, 06:24:22 pm »

not always. You can use things other than nooses for hanging people, and nooses can be used for things other than hanging
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37604 on: June 26, 2020, 07:53:01 pm »

not always. You can use things other than nooses for hanging people, and nooses can be used for things other than hanging
I agree with these statements. I just can’t think of other uses for nooses
Pages: 1 ... 2505 2506 [2507] 2508 2509 ... 3566