Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2502 2503 [2504] 2505 2506 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4222008 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #37545 on: June 25, 2020, 06:29:43 am »

Im not following the argument any more. When would it ever be illegal for a 19-year-old to have sex with an older person?
Love, scriver~

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #37546 on: June 25, 2020, 06:52:09 am »

The issue, Reelya-- is that "18 and 19" are fully legal adults, that should be able to choose to bang a 50 year old, if that is what they really want.  Because they are legally grown assed adults.

This is not the circumstance of "17yr + 18yr" romeo/juliette. 

This is "19yr, in college, wants to date 25yr hunk. Hunk goes to prison, because more than 3 years older."

I agree that the age requirement is a sensible addition; just not with the cutoffs that have been mostly enacted, which exist to placate the "OMG!! STILL A CHILD!!" worldview that conservatives have about young people having sex.

Nowhere in the US is this scenario possible.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37547 on: June 25, 2020, 07:01:10 am »

I was misreading the "min prosecution age/age of victim" column. 

Protip, don't read tables while tired, and bored out of your brain from listening to droning narrators from "online training videos."

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37548 on: June 25, 2020, 07:28:27 am »

That "morally acceptable" table is kind of hilarious in a sad way.

Look at what those trends are saying about society.  Not about the acts/categories themselves, but about the common things behind them.  Self above society, except when you creep me out or make me sad when I didn't want to be, is basically the trend there.  Self above society is a good way to destroy society and self.

It's also why I don't understand statements like:

Quote from: MetalSlimeHunt
Only 10% of Americans say they aren't proud of their nationality at all. It's a start, I guess.

Not that blind pride is a good thing, but when you have people who have no interest in their nationality then you get situations where people only do what's good for themselves: people running around spreading viruses, not caring about social programs, and the like.

National pride is what should make you sad and angry about the current state of affairs. Saying "it's America it is therefore good by default"  is fanaticism which is quite different.  The current civil rights movement is actually pride - people taking a stand for making things better.

Of course this is a language thing - pride is one of those complex words with two meanings: having pride in good work, for instance, has positive connotations, but "being prideful" generally has negative connotation.  "National pride" is one of those cases where it can be both positive or negative...
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #37549 on: June 25, 2020, 07:31:59 am »

Not that blind pride is a good thing, but when you have people who have no interest in their nationality then you get situations where people only do what's good for themselves: people running around spreading viruses, not caring about social programs, and the like.
Lolwut?
What does having no interest in nationality have to do with only doing what's good for themselves?  Ever heard of internationalism and caring about not just the people in your own nation but about human beings in general? Greetings earthling?

The world would be a much much better place if the concept of nations would cease to exist.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #37550 on: June 25, 2020, 07:48:33 am »

I mean... being particularly proud to be an american requires either wild ignorance (of history, of current conditions) or pretty extreme immorality, imo.

That more people seem to be waking up to the flat goddamn fact there's not much to legitimately be proud about in this country is probably a good thing. Hopefully helps better pave a path forward that isn't tainted with all the fucked up things we've gotten up to over the last ever :-\

Basic bloody human decency is what should make you sad and angry about the current conditions, not national pride.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37551 on: June 25, 2020, 08:36:21 am »

I feel like something got lost in translation there...

You have to start local, is all I mean.  Seriously, if you can't even keep your own room clean, how can you have "global decency"?

Maybe we need different words to describe this concept?  Or - I think I see what you are saying - it's a question of causality. You should have pride in what your <location> is doing because it is aiming for human decency, not just have pride because it is your <location>?

On the flip side - when you say things like "There is nothing to be proud about in this country" you are essentially saying that everyone in that country is worthless.  A nation is just people after all.  Making such absolute statements just causes people to stonewall.  Don't tell people they are worthless - give people reason to join you, not think you are categorizing them just because they live in a certain area.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37552 on: June 25, 2020, 08:39:41 am »

The world would be a much much better place if the concept of nations would cease to exist.

Whether using the meaning of country or the meaning of people that statement is equally horrible and imperialist
Love, scriver~

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #37553 on: June 25, 2020, 08:42:40 am »

Uhh no, it is egalitarian

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37554 on: June 25, 2020, 08:48:59 am »

All you people better properly define what each of you means by nationalism before you spend the next ten pages talking past one another.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #37555 on: June 25, 2020, 08:52:43 am »

I just don't see how instead of saying ' I am american' and ' I am dutch', saying 'I am a human being' is in any way imperialistic.
Or instead of saying 'I am from america'  or 'I am from the Netherlands', saying 'I am from planet earth'.
Nationalism / the concept of nation states is what brought us most if not all wars in the past 150 or so years.
It's an artificial division into we/they that has brought little to no good.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 08:54:15 am by martinuzz »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37556 on: June 25, 2020, 09:09:48 am »

If there were no more nations as in countries: All peoples except one would be ruled by the laws of another people. There is an unstated opinion in this way of thinking where you assume that your laws should govern all other peoples. It is imperialistic and likely more than a little dutchman's-burden-y.

If there was no more nations as in peoples: You've just admitted you long for mass genocide of the peoples of the earth, a world where different cultures doesn't exist and all humanity is the same. Once again this comes with the unspoken implication that all humanity should belong to your nation and follow your culture. This is imperialistic and genocidal.
Love, scriver~

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37557 on: June 25, 2020, 09:12:19 am »

^you're conflating nations, countries, and peoples.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #37558 on: June 25, 2020, 09:39:17 am »

The thing about unspoken implications is, since they're unspoken, you need to meet a high threshold before saying someone must be acting on them. If it's unspoken, by definition you probably don't have any clear examples that the person thinks that! You can't just say "there is an unstated opinion" and play Pin the Tail Undesirable Motivation on the Donkey.

TDLR: don't pin "unspoken opinions" on people.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #37559 on: June 25, 2020, 09:47:37 am »

If there were no more nations as in countries: All peoples except one would be ruled by the laws of another people. There is an unstated opinion in this way of thinking where you assume that your laws should govern all other peoples. It is imperialistic and likely more than a little dutchman's-burden-y.

If there was no more nations as in peoples: You've just admitted you long for mass genocide of the peoples of the earth, a world where different cultures doesn't exist and all humanity is the same. Once again this comes with the unspoken implication that all humanity should belong to your nation and follow your culture. This is imperialistic and genocidal.

Except nation-states don't necessarily have any correlation with cultural peoples.  Nation-states can contain many wildly different cultures, and their boundaries can divide people of the same culture.

I'm all for the end of nation-states, but also all for the existence of many cultures.

IMO, communities should be allowed to govern themselves, which nation-states are not.  I feel no communal bond with the vast majority of other Americans.  And typically most people are a part of many different communities that intersect in many ways of differing natures requiring self-governance attending to different issues.  Nation-states do very little to help with this, and get in the way more often than not.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.
Pages: 1 ... 2502 2503 [2504] 2505 2506 ... 3566