Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2486 2487 [2488] 2489 2490 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4223032 times)

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #37305 on: June 07, 2020, 12:36:56 pm »

Either way they are betting for the human-friendly side, which is... positive in its own way? I suppose?

It would certainly be scarier if a bunch of big companies openly supported the cops, that would mean they didn’t fear the people, an even extremer late-stage capitalism.
Corporations are not human-friendly, they are just frameworks for maximising profit. Thus you can be like JP Morgan, having a very cozy relationship with security services whilst claiming to fight the systems they designed

Betting does not equal preferring, or supporting anything. Neither is them betting on the protesters a gain (for the movement) in itself, but it is a sign that true gains (political reform) are achievable, as they too are made possible through the fear of the ruling class. Thus the ”positive in its own way”.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37306 on: June 07, 2020, 12:37:20 pm »

There appears to be some pretty extreme racism in there masked by it being entirely about white people. 'This end of the country is made of accredited professional stock, therefore is genetically smarter vs this bit is inbred cousin-marriers who are just gonna be dummies.'

I wondered for a while if it was using genetics to attempt to map where cultural divides had reduced intermarriage, but yeesh. It's hardly acknowledging non-genetic cultural patterns or historic concentrations of wealth at all. Kinda hard to climb the regional intelligence ladder (barf) when your school system isn't getting the big city bucks and there's not really been a big national push to patch up district and state funding disparities.

Well he also mentions southern Europeans being "clannish" vs the "outbred" NE residents. What he's probably talking about here is the difference between more urbanized population vs rural population family models. Southeast England was much more urbanized and densely populated, so they probably had smaller family sizes in terms of extended family and more contacts to select for marriage. Different dynamics completely, especially once the industrial revolution really kicked off.

It's common for two extended clan-type families to exchange female members by marriage over multiple generations. So any thing about "marrying your cousin" needs to be understood in terms of this family model. You have two allied clans, and over generations, they intermarry daughters from one clan into the other. Note: under this model that daughter now becomes a member of her new clan, and you generally cannot marry someone from the same clan. So yes there is inbreeding, but it's controlled through ritual and customs. The inbreeding is because two clans can swap members each generation, not because you marry someone from the same clan (although a clan can split into branches, and it's possible to marry someone on a different branch. But technically, they're a different extended family). This system may have largely broken down however in more recent years. Think Beverley Hillbillies "Granny" character. She's in there to represent the clannish extended-family thing, which was seen as being distinctive to those Appalachian peoples. Granny exists as a character because to a urbanite Los Angeles person with their nuclear families and small households, the idea of grandma living with the adult son and his family was seen as unusual and different.

Even American indian tribes basically worked the same way, I was reading a book once that was talking about anthropology explaining totems. Originally they were thought to have some mysterious ritual significance, until someone explain the very sensible and explainable reason for having them, at least as far as some tribes went. Totems were basically clans within a tribe, and they dictated who you could marry, so if you were e.g. in the Wolf totem, you couldn't marry someone from the Wolf totem, but you could marry someone from the Eagle totem. The wife then takes on the husband's totem. Then next generation, your child could marry someone from the other totem again, who would technically be a cousin. So this, and the clan system of the Irish and Scottish who settled Appalachia were both methods for controlling inbreeding. They weren't sources of inbreeding.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 04:00:21 am by Reelya »

The Ensorceler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37307 on: June 07, 2020, 01:10:53 pm »

Totem thing is pretty interesting, thanks for sharing it.

The Yankees, having descended from an artisan and academic elite (the Puritans even required letters of recommendation before allowing a prospective immigrant to venture to New England), score highly. The Lowland South on the other hand – which received a much more representative cross section of the English population (indeed, many were slaves) – is broadly much less intelligent, on average. And Greater Appalachia, having been settled by inbred common folk (see clannish dysgenics | hbd* chick) performs relatively poorly (don’t trust Texas’s seemingly high score).

Here's the bit in question. Just... a lot of reliance on iq tests and murder rates in the next bit, along with this gem:
The anomalously and suspiciously high rates of White violence in the Southwest likely stem from the conflagration of Hispanics with Whites in statistics there
Because Spanish/Mexican people are *obviously* more violent than our precious Whites...

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #37308 on: June 07, 2020, 01:34:51 pm »

Spanish people are pretty violent. I have three cousins from there
Love, scriver~

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #37309 on: June 07, 2020, 06:43:52 pm »

Resist the urge to marry them, scriver.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37310 on: June 07, 2020, 09:16:22 pm »

I uh, I think the implication was that violence by whites against hispanics was being counted as white on white, not the laughable idea that hispanics are somehow more violent than whites.

Dude may not legitimately know how fucked up and racist IQ tests are either.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37311 on: June 08, 2020, 04:10:40 am »

Totem thing is pretty interesting, thanks for sharing it.

The Yankees, having descended from an artisan and academic elite (the Puritans even required letters of recommendation before allowing a prospective immigrant to venture to New England), score highly. The Lowland South on the other hand – which received a much more representative cross section of the English population (indeed, many were slaves) – is broadly much less intelligent, on average. And Greater Appalachia, having been settled by inbred common folk (see clannish dysgenics | hbd* chick) performs relatively poorly (don’t trust Texas’s seemingly high score).

Here's the bit in question. Just... a lot of reliance on iq tests and murder rates in the next bit, along with this gem:
The anomalously and suspiciously high rates of White violence in the Southwest likely stem from the conflagration of Hispanics with Whites in statistics there
Because Spanish/Mexican people are *obviously* more violent than our precious Whites...

Yeah, it doesn't make a lot of sense right there. I hadn't read the whole source article because I came across a couple of things that made me question what this guy was on, but those things are beyond the pale. I do like how he says to just ignore data that doesn't back up his conclusion about Texas.

For example, Ashkenazi Jews also have a traditionally clannish model, are relatively inbred, yet they produced Einstein and many other geniuses. That's purely down to the fact that they had enriching environments due to being a mercantile class in the stimulating environment of European urban centers, not some eugenics thing.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medical_genetics_of_Jews
Every European Jew is within 30th cousins, and they're all descended from a group of about 350 people around 700 years ago:
https://www.nbcnews.com/science/science-news/who-knew-all-european-jews-are-30th-cousins-or-closer-n199641

It's especially notable because the level of inbreeding of Ashkenazi Jews is heavily studied specifically because they are so inbred that it's becoming a problem with recessive genes. And yet they statistically rate highly on IQ tests. One other notably inbred population in the USA this the Amish. So there should be low IQ roving gangs of Amish terrorizing the countryside in their buggies by that theory.

EDIT: As for the thing about intelligence vs regions. What do you do if you're a really smart person in a rural town? You go to the city for school. You don't go back. The wealth disparity means there's a constant brain drain from the less developed areas. It in no way means that inner-city people are super smart compared to rural people. But I'm guessing the same writer would have explanations (probably racist ones) about why the inner city people aren't the smarties either. So ... the way society apparently works is that the inner city people (Southern and Eastern Europe and Africa immigrants) are genetically inferior, and the outside-the-city people are genetically inferior, but the whole thing is held together by a thin shell of naturally superior people around each city in the suburbs.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 04:32:27 am by Reelya »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #37312 on: June 08, 2020, 04:22:26 am »

Colin Powell announced that he will vote for Joe Biden.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #37313 on: June 08, 2020, 06:51:13 pm »

Trump supporters on my facebook immediately threw him under the bus as a liberal.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37314 on: June 08, 2020, 06:54:01 pm »

Trump supporters on my facebook immediately threw him under the bus as a liberal.

The wheels on the right bus go thump thump thump
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #37315 on: June 08, 2020, 07:25:12 pm »

The wheels on the right bus go trump trump trump
Ftfy
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

thompson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37316 on: June 08, 2020, 08:11:29 pm »

I uh, I think the implication was that violence by whites against hispanics was being counted as white on white, not the laughable idea that hispanics are somehow more violent than whites.

Dude may not legitimately know how fucked up and racist IQ tests are either.

I think the correct way to interpret his research is to look at the immigration patterns as informative for some local variability in culture, while ignoring the genetic determinism he seems to be advocating.

Urban IQ patterns can be explained fairly easily by the fact that most of the white-collar professional-type positions are in cities, and these professionals also happen to be the sorts of people who earn enough to live in the suburbs, so you have a significant degree of self-organization. I'm not sure what specifically you are referring to in your criticism of IQ tests, but I'll assume you mean they are not the pure measure of intelligence their proponents would like them to be but instead are influenced by upbringing and only really measure a sub-set of mental prowess anyway. So, all else being equal poor people will have lower IQs than rich people, due to environmental factors, which then correlates with racial wealth disparity? Which would then exacerbate regional IQ differences described above. I am inclined to agree that genetics isn't the thing holding people back, but it is a convenient scapegoat for those looking to justify the status quo.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #37317 on: June 08, 2020, 08:23:28 pm »

IQ just isn't measuring anything real. It's like all the worst parts of standardized testing except assholes on the internet sometimes use it to justify racism on top of that.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37318 on: June 09, 2020, 12:33:18 am »

So, this kinda sorta belongs here...

Youtube has been awash in really bad adverts for sending Trump a happy birthday, via a text message (no shit), lately.

Given that it (the advert) claims to be produced by Trump's PAC, *AND* there is an official (looking at least?) website for this very purpose as well..

https://www.donaldjtrump.com/landing/sign-the-official-birthday-card-for-potus

I think Herr Trump is very much trying to stoke his own ego, after the crippling blows to it his negative optics stunt with that bible surely delivered to it.

It is very alarming and sad that our president cares so fucking much about his own damn ego.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37319 on: June 09, 2020, 12:55:05 am »

Yah, those ads have been up for some weeks now. Guy was stoking his ego long before this latest PR fiasco.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 2486 2487 [2488] 2489 2490 ... 3566