Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2484 2485 [2486] 2487 2488 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4223390 times)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #37275 on: June 06, 2020, 11:49:32 am »

Bazookas for everyone?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37276 on: June 06, 2020, 11:56:02 am »

Bazookas for everyone?

Don't forget to vote.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #37277 on: June 06, 2020, 12:11:13 pm »

No guys I was just trying to make an rethoric question where the answer was supposed to be "black lives mattering" :P
Love, scriver~

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37278 on: June 06, 2020, 12:12:05 pm »

Quote from: What Will Make America Great?
If our government listens to scientists? (1) NG1999
Bazookas for everyone? (1) Bumber
add your Suggestions to the vote box, or vote for existing ones. Of course these can’t be the only suggestions
No guys I was just trying to make an rethoric question where the answer was supposed to be "black lives mattering" :P
ninja’d

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37279 on: June 06, 2020, 01:22:51 pm »

I'm just saying, if black people had easy access to bazookas, maybe authority figures such as police might respect them more.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37280 on: June 06, 2020, 01:27:20 pm »

If you think the bazooka party isn't courting votes from every walk of life or ethnicity thereof, you don't understand how many bazookas we have stockpiled.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37281 on: June 06, 2020, 01:34:04 pm »

I don't have anything against the concept of the Bazooka party. I've simply never trusted Bazooka Joe to do what needs to be done. It's all joking around with him, never serious.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37282 on: June 06, 2020, 02:49:38 pm »

Yeah, I'll go with that, even though I have no context other than this page of 3 posts mentioning the Bazooka Party.

Meanwhile
https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-52833706

How Bill Gates became the voodoo doll of Covid conspiracies
More than a quarter of all Americans and 44% of Republicans believe that Bill Gates wants to use a Covid-19 vaccine to implant microchips under people's skin, according to a survey from Yahoo News and YouGov.

Yeah, there's no hope then. They're all batshit insane. 44% believe that obvious nonsense above, and many more of the Republicans believe equally dumb but marginally less insane things. But you have to have been batshit insane to stick with the Republicans through the last 4 years I'm guessing, so a lot of the more moderate old-days Republicans have bailed already leaving them with this rump party of religious anti-vax conspiracy nuts. Point about religion is that if you can believe in literal arbitrary magic then you're likely someone who finds it easy to believe in other preposterous things: I mean, if you believe that God, if he so chose, could snap his fingers and turn your head into a literal cabbage, but he just chooses not to do things like that, and this possibility is entirely compatible with your worldview about how reality fundamentally works, then things like the micro-chips in a vaccine idea suddenly seem very reasonable possibilities by comparison.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 02:58:58 pm by Reelya »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #37283 on: June 06, 2020, 03:50:03 pm »

I am really starting to think you people in the US have been subjected to strange hallucinogenic drugs, if so many people believe in such outrageously crazy theories.
I wonder. is it in the tap water? Is it in the McFlurry? The KFC?  What food or drink to approximately 20% of the US population consume that others don't?
Or is redneck inbreeding so very common?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 03:58:24 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37284 on: June 06, 2020, 04:43:44 pm »

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/06/americans-are-drinking-bleach-and-dunking-food-in-it-to-prevent-covid-19/

Americans are drinking bleach and dunking food in it to prevent COVID-19
Thirty-nine percent of surveyed people admitted to at least one risky practice.

Well I'm guessing that all those people are also the ones literally drinking bleach.

I mean ... there was an Onion joke about drinking bleach once:
https://www.theonion.com/poison-prevention-tips-1819565507
If you have young children, avoid purchasing bleach products bearing pictures of Pikachu drinking the bleach.

Not so funny now. Yeah don't worry about the kids: It's their parents sitting down to take a nice chug of bleach.

Unsurprisingly, 25 percent of respondents also reported unpleasant health effects from exposures to cleaning products, such as dizziness, skin irritation, nausea, and breathing problems.

That stuff is also going to be hell on your brain cells if you're inhaling enough to get dizzy. Notably, the ones getting dizzy from sniffing bleach (1/4 of all Americans) is very close to the number who believe the Bill Gates / Vaccine / Microchip thing. I mean, I have no proof there's a correlation here, but if you heard that 10% of all people were sniffing glue and 10% of all people were also hallucinating and having delusions, would it be legit to say "I'm sure there's no correlation there whatsoever!"
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 04:52:02 pm by Reelya »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #37285 on: June 06, 2020, 04:51:50 pm »

1. Tracking down the source of that study shows it to be incredibly non-rigorous.

2. It doesn't even say what you think it says.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #37286 on: June 06, 2020, 04:53:23 pm »

That stuff is also going to be hell on your brain cells if you're inhaling enough to get dizzy. Notably, the ones getting dizzy from sniffing bleach (1/4 of all Americans) is very close to the number who believe the Bill Gates / Vaccine / Microchip thing.
That's still no explanation for how they got so retarded that they actually think ingesting / inhaling bleach is a good idea in the first place.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37287 on: June 06, 2020, 04:59:47 pm »

I know what it says, I was being hyperbolic when I said all of them were drinking bleach, that part was a joke.

As for rigor:

Survey questions were administered by Porter Novelli Public Services and ENGINE Insights on May 4, 2020, through PN View: 360,* a rapid turnaround survey that can be used to provide insights into knowledge and practices of targeted audiences. This opt-in Internet panel survey was administered to 502 U.S. adults aged ≥18 years using the Lucid platform (3); panel members who had not taken a survey in the previous 20 waves of survey administration were eligible to participate. Quota sampling and statistical weighting were employed to make the panel representative of the U.S. population by gender, age, region, race/ethnicity, and education. Respondents were informed that their answers were being used for market research and could refuse to answer any question at any time. No personally identifying information was included in the data file provided to CDC.†

19% of the sample put household cleaners on their food, 18% washed their hands with it, 10% misting themselves with cleaners, 6% inhaling it directly, 4% drinking or gargling bleach. Even accounting for overlaps, those added up to 39% of the sample, with the 25% suffering measurable ill effects.

So yeah, I was poking fun at these people by simplifying things a bit, but this makes it no better.

Of all Americans in this internet survey, yes. We need to ask more questions about these people- internet trolls, news article comments section dwellers, people strapped into the information age data feed without the wherewithal to limit the bullshit? Office drones, preteens, Welshmen pretending to be American? It's an opt-in survey, what vetting is being done?

It was a CDC survey. I'd assume the CDC, with their job being to collect a lot of data have quite a bit of experience with sample selection. A large well-funded and experienced organization, for whom 99% of their job is getting this sort of sampling data. You'd kind of assume they have experience at this.

Also, if people aren't really drinking bleach and you pick random people the odds of picking only bleach-drinking people in your sample would be very very low. Unless you somehow included a large pro-bleach-drinking bias into the study.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 05:06:46 pm by Reelya »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37288 on: June 06, 2020, 05:16:03 pm »

If you ask me on the internet if I drink bleach because Bill Gates is putting gremlins in my nachos, please mark 1-5 for how much you believe this deliberately dumb shit, I am not only going to mark 5, I am going to write in "other" that the gremlins faked the moon landing.

4% of republicans aren't gargling bleach, because 3 million people haven't dropped dead from fucking gargling bleach. 4% of people are fucking with your survey. The people who support Trump so do because they have the ability and privilege to ignore the effects he has on the nation at large, and don't want to have that privilege and status taken away from them. It's more important to them than human lives. Since even the most cursory of self-examinations will reveal this, their time is spent finding was of convincing themselves that no human lives are or ever were at risk.

It's not because they're stupid, or because they believe in Allah, it's because they are callous, ignorant, and happy to remain so. Simple as that.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37289 on: June 06, 2020, 05:27:51 pm »

But there has been a large spike in the number of calls to poison prevention. There is other statistical evidence for this.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/robertglatter/2020/04/25/calls-to-poison-centers-spike--after-the-presidents-comments-about-using-disinfectants-to-treat-coronavirus/#26de49131157

The baseline stats are that there are about 2.1 million calls to poison prevention per year.
https://www.poison.org/poison-statistics-national-data-from-2016
I'm going to ballpark things and say that only 10% of poison exposures end with a call to Poison Prevention, so those 2.1 million calls are the tip of the iceberg representing (something like) 21 million exposure events.

That rate of calls increased 20% over Jan-Mar of this year. If you annualized a 20% increase over 21 million you get about 4-5 million people engaging in risky exposure behavior to cleaning products directly because of the coronavirus. But remember this is what was happening in the time period before Trump did his big "drink disinfectant" speech, and before people were stuck in lockdown. The CDC survey noted above was done after his speech, and in the period where a lot of people were in lockdowns.

BTW, if you look at the dates involved, Trump called for injecting disinfectant on April 24, and the survey in question was conducted on May 4th. The really big spike in emergency calls occurred about 1 week before the survey was carried out. So there's really no basis to say it's bogus on the face of it: the survey if done right should have been representative of the millions who misused cleaning products in Jan-Mar and the even more millions who misused cleaning products in April, and especially the end of April / Start of May, when calls to poison hotlines really got out of control (almost triple the normal rates).
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 05:39:00 pm by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 2484 2485 [2486] 2487 2488 ... 3566