Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2469 2470 [2471] 2472 2473 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4226091 times)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #37050 on: May 28, 2020, 06:14:23 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Apparently Derek Chauvin has killed civilians before. Although because he murdered a black person, I'd assume Klobuchar's political prospects improved.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #37051 on: May 28, 2020, 06:18:26 pm »

I generally care about this "all the time" - as much as I "generally care" about most things.  The question I ask is - what can I actually do about this? I already vote for justice-minded folks.  I don't call the cops because I see someone walking down the road.  I haven't ever joined a protest though.  I suppose I could write my congresspeople.

But as an "average citizen" what am I expected to do to combat injustice? Join the mobs? Blog about it? This is half begging the question and half serious - when there are "calls for justice", to whom are those calls addressed?    Do you want me to glare at police officers whenever I see them?

What mechanisms do you propose to tear down these corrupted institutions? I agree they are corrupt, but I haven't really in my life seen a good example of how to "fix" any of them.  Maybe there has been an example and it's just hard to find because it's not as sensational?

The most important thing, the thing that underpins everything else, is public consciousness. To spread the idea of siding with oppressed over oppressor and common solidarity between those who do not have the luxury of justice against those who keep it for themselves alone. To reject propaganda about "protests turned violent" or "burning down their own neighborhood" or "should have followed the officer's instructions" and any of the rest of it. That's the real way to overcome division and to be on the right side. Without people knowing who's side they're really on, how can a protest hope to succeed in pressuring the system?

Yeah, I 2nd MSH's comment.  Reject and challenge the propaganda narratives when possible, and keep the issues in mind when engaging with politics.  I think that's all that can be reasonably asked of anybody.  I can't claim any more than that myself.  But those are the most basic things that are required on mass scale in order to enable steps towards actual change.

Also, The Onion nails it

Apparently Derek Chauvin has killed civilians before. Although because he murdered a black person, I'd assume Klobuchar's political prospects improved.

I wonder if kneeling on necks is part of police training anywhere.  Because if it's not, it's really curious that I have seen dozens of videos of officers doing it.  Mainly to peaceful protesters.  Seems to be a really common technique, and they seem to love to keep people like that for extended periods just to provoke and bask defiantly in the futile complaints and concerns of onlookers as their victims struggle to survive.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 06:22:57 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37052 on: May 28, 2020, 08:10:35 pm »

Just going to say, the looting, vandalism and property destruction is not helpful to anyone's cause. The victim card is a little hard to play when you're smashing someone's windows and burning down buildings.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37053 on: May 28, 2020, 08:53:18 pm »

Just going to say, the looting, vandalism and property destruction is not helpful to anyone's cause. The victim card is a little hard to play when you're smashing someone's windows and burning down buildings.

After 2 days of rioting, the FBI decided to step in and do an actual investigation. Rioting is the only option when non-violent protest accomplishes nothing.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37054 on: May 28, 2020, 09:17:19 pm »

After 2 days of rioting, the FBI decided to step in and do an actual investigation. Rioting is the only option when non-violent protest accomplishes nothing.

Correlation does not equal causation. Incident happened Monday. By Tuesday afternoon they were fired. It's currently Thursday. Under no reasonable definition has there been any delay of justice thus far in this case.

Or we can just go with rioting... sure we'll just go with that. Rioting solved our problems. /s

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #37055 on: May 28, 2020, 09:22:39 pm »

I mean, non-violent protest did accomplish something. It got the protesters assaulted by the fuckers going to bat for a murderer. That's something, right?

It was only particularly helpful for the folks going to bat for someone that murdered somebody on camera, though, I'll give that much. Just don't think that's the kind of helpful that does much good for the protesters, ha.

Correlation does not equal causation. Incident happened Monday. By Tuesday afternoon they were fired. It's currently Thursday. Under no reasonable definition has there been any delay of justice thus far in this case.
Horseshit, the man (with a lengthy history of fucking abusing people and getting away with it) who murdered someone on bloody camera is still, as far as I'm aware, not arrested, in jail, or also dead. Justice is pretty damn delayed right now, nevermind it was delayed before the shit even put another person in a grave.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #37056 on: May 28, 2020, 10:26:30 pm »

As of the most recent update I saw, the local police and AG were saying that "they had evidence a prosecution was not justified". So the police station got burned down.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #37057 on: May 28, 2020, 10:34:22 pm »

Umm... yeah... if absolutely anybody else in the entire world who wasn't either ultra-wealthy or a police officer knelt on someone's neck for 9 minutes until they died and it was all caught on video by multiple cameras and the pretense for doing so was quickly determined by other video evidence to be a lie, they would be locked up immediately.  It wouldn't take days.  It would take hours at most.  It would probably happen even before an employer could get around to firing someone over it.  And if it was a black person who did it, there's a good chance they'd just be murdered in the process of arrest instead of locked up.  What's happened so far is not equal justice in the slightest.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #37058 on: May 29, 2020, 02:42:57 am »

I've got to say, while I've been pretty hard on the public these past few months, going to sleep for a couple hours and waking up to find out one of MPD's cop shops has been taken, looted, and burned is bringing back some joy I didn't know I still had. All power to the free people of Minneapolis!

Oh, and Trump is currently on twitter fighting really hard with himself not to post the n-word, and currently settling for shouting about how the National Guard is going gun down all the protestors in the streets once he gets them deployed.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #37059 on: May 29, 2020, 04:53:27 am »

" When the looting starts the shooting starts"

Holy fucking shit Trump has gone completely apeshit.
You guys have gotta end him.
Looting is not a capital offense. If he is threatening that US citizens will be shot for looting, he is threatening to willfully murder you guys.
Killing him at this point would be mass self defense.
"Just spoke to Governor Tim Walz and told him that the military is with him all the way"

Isn't it against your Constitution in the first place, to use the military against US citizens, or even theaten to do so? Impeach immediatly?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 05:10:51 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37060 on: May 29, 2020, 05:44:15 am »

Or we can just go with rioting... sure we'll just go with that. Rioting solved our problems. /s

We can also compare to no rioting. Last time 2 times he murdered civilians, there were no riots, and no punishment. It gets ignored until they make the news. Peaceful protests get ignored safely. It's difficult to check much more of his history, because it's non-public, although everything is marked as "no discipline required." Klobuchar made her name by refusing to prosecute this racist shitstain.

" When the looting starts the shooting starts"

Holy fucking shit Trump has gone completely apeshit.
You guys have gotta end him.
Looting is not a capital offense. If he is threatening that US citizens will be shot for looting, he is threatening to willfully murder you guys.
Killing him at this point would be mass self defense.
"Just spoke to Governor Tim Walz and told him that the military is with him all the way"

Isn't it against your Constitution in the first place, to use the military against US citizens, or even theaten to do so? Impeach immediatly?

No, that's all fairly normal around here. Black lives matter started under the previous president because he encouraged prosecutors to ignore crimes police committed, including murder. He also sent military force against protestors in Flint Michigan who were being killed, and against Standing Rock protestors who were protesting a violated treaty.

I don't think there's been a president in recent history who didn't willfully ignore the constitution. People's response is just to vote for more of the same.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #37061 on: May 29, 2020, 06:12:13 am »

So, if the US army uses a drone strike to take out a IS terrorist in Africa, there is huge outrage because he happened to be a US citizen and the US is forbidden from dronestriking it's own citizens, but when the army shoots 100 black people on US soil it's all good?

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #37062 on: May 29, 2020, 06:15:21 am »

Well we've already dehumanized the rioters, and shooting them isn't an accident - it's cops/military protecting our freedom.

[sarcasm]

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #37063 on: May 29, 2020, 06:18:23 am »

Somewhat related.  Am I a terrible person that whenever I hear or see Black Lives Matter, my mind turns it into Black Wives Fatter and I inadvertently giggle?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #37064 on: May 29, 2020, 06:18:54 am »

You're drunk martinuzz, go home.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 2469 2470 [2471] 2472 2473 ... 3566