Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2452 2453 [2454] 2455 2456 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4222735 times)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #36795 on: May 11, 2020, 04:58:42 pm »

What is “going Reagan”? Also, whether the wall is built by Mexico or the USA, the result is still the same, a wall between the two countries. It wouldn’t make sense for someone to get mad if country B did what country A wanted to do, especially if the effect is the same

Ametsala

• Bay Watcher
  • "needs chocolate to get through the working day"
    • View Profile
« Reply #36796 on: May 11, 2020, 05:05:09 pm »

Reagan

If the wall is built by Mexico, in Mexico, and managed by Mexico, then it's not Don's wall. I can imagine Don getting upset about something like that.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #36797 on: May 11, 2020, 05:36:37 pm »

Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #36798 on: May 11, 2020, 05:40:40 pm »

Maybe they should do a submersion tank instead. Has about the same effect once you breath straight liquid disinfectant in.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

thompson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36799 on: May 11, 2020, 08:50:30 pm »

Reagan

If the wall is built by Mexico, in Mexico, and managed by Mexico, then it's not Don's wall. I can imagine Don getting upset about something like that.

Nah, he’d just take credit for it and claim victory. Kind of like how he’s taking credit for and claiming victory over the COVID19 response, despite the whole situation being a total farce. And how he took credit for “solving” the North Korea issue despite nothing really changing. Truth has no relevance to him.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #36800 on: May 11, 2020, 08:55:11 pm »

He might take credit for it, but he'd definitely be upset, or at least enough of his supporters would be that he'd feel obligated to. The difference between We will build a great wall, and Mexico will pay for it and Mexico built a wall to keep us out is an extreme shift in what Trumpists emotionally derive from the idea of Build Wall.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #36801 on: May 11, 2020, 10:44:22 pm »

Honestly, it's a bit of a shame mexico probably doesn't really have the budget or the interest in dropping millions USD in a wasteful gigantic "fuck you" symbol like that. Big ol' wall with lots of (unmanned) gates in it, a bit inside the border for a nice no-man's land, something like that. Area between the wall and the actual border could be filled with, like, statues of trump being debased by various farm animals or somethin'. Might as well go all out, ahaha.

Somewhat more seriously, if you were going to try to build a great dividing wall like that, further out on mexico's side of things makes a shitton more sense. Less land to block off, y'know?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36802 on: May 12, 2020, 07:37:43 am »

Reagan

Nah, he’d just take credit for it and claim victory. Kind of like how he’s taking credit for and claiming victory over the COVID19 response, despite the whole situation being a total farce. And how he took credit for “solving” the North Korea issue despite nothing really changing. Truth has no relevance to him.

Well North Korea had that big earthquake that killed a lot of their nuclear workers, and since then they really toned down their program. I don't think they had a choice. They stopped the big rocket launches as soon as that happened. Remember the pictures of Kim Jong Un looking at some device the size of a grapefruit and experts saying that if it was really a bomb then it must be a thermonuclear device that could fit on their rockets? That clearly turned out to be complete bullshit. They don't have a device and their guys who could build anything like that are probably mostly dead now (200 died in the accident). It was after that they started to be more buddy-buddy instead of the whole "madman strategy" they were going for before. Nothing to do with Trump. NK's nuclear deterrent program literally collapsed and they had to formulate a new strategy.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 07:42:23 am by Reelya »

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36803 on: May 13, 2020, 01:55:56 am »

The most amusing thing about the whole wall thing is..

..there already was a wall before he entered office.

So yeah.  Taking credit for something that was already done, so you know you'll have to do nothing to achieve victory?  Very Trumpist.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #36804 on: May 13, 2020, 02:27:36 pm »

The most amusing thing about the whole wall thing is..

..there already was a wall before he entered office.

So yeah.  Taking credit for something that was already done, so you know you'll have to do nothing to achieve victory?  Very Trumpist.

Not from "sea to shining sea", though. Also it's more like a fence in most areas.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #36805 on: May 13, 2020, 09:09:42 pm »

Wisconsin Supreme court shot down the stay at home extension. This sets a precident for othet states to do the same.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #36806 on: May 13, 2020, 09:15:19 pm »

Wisconsin Supreme court shot down the stay at home extension. This sets a precident for othet states to do the same.
america is so fucked lol

time for SCOTUS to make the greatest decision since Bush v. Gore and declare quarantines permanantly unconstitutional

let the motherfucker burn
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #36807 on: May 13, 2020, 09:40:55 pm »

The Wisconsin Supreme Court has jurisdiction only within Wisconsin. It has no power whatsoever anywhere else in the country. Nor does the Supreme Court of the United States have jurisdiction over a matter involving a state Constitution (which this is - the court did NOT claim that there is anything legally wrong about stay at home orders, only that the governor alone does not have the power to enact one). This does not set a precedent of any kind outside of Wisconsin. The Federal system does not work that way.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36808 on: May 13, 2020, 09:54:34 pm »

america is so fucked lol

time for SCOTUS to make the greatest decision since Bush v. Gore and declare quarantines permanantly unconstitutional

let the motherfucker burn

I've kept quiet about it, and I'm not gonna argue about it with people too much going on. But thought I'd share a point of view from a family of immigrants (though I was personally born here). Many of my family come from the middle east and are f*cked and some are going BACK to the middle east. My grandpa and uncle had a restaurant they owned and they had to close it, they have nothing left and the bailout of 1200 each person didn't really help anything at all. My family overall is screwed with the quarantine. My family and I have many middle eastern friends who are equally f*ked. Not all of them mind you, but many really did come here to get a better life. Now with nothing left, many are either already in the making of or planning to go back to their homes in other countries. Its not just the US that immigrants are f*ked. Europe and australia also have many immigrants and they are screwed. To be fair, a lot of people are hurting, but this hurts immigrants the most.

On the other hand, a virus with a very high death rate is bad. So I'm not saying it isn't or that there shouldn't be a quarantine. And the current admin is making it a ton worse, but I personally think its sabotage to help win re-election..because...

This actually hurts democrats more than it does republicans, because I personally know quite a few that are leaving the US because they have nothing left and were already barely making a living. my grandpa said "to make a better life in the americas is a big lie". And all my family are rather big democrats supporters, there aren't many immigrants that support Trump. So while its a small handful relative to all immigrants that I know, I don't imagine that is just a one case thing. I imagine many immigrants are suffering more than anyone else. And its pretty disrespectful of actors and actresses coming out saying "stay home and stay safe" while showing their extravagant house in the background with all their fancy stuff. Where as, my grandpa and uncle as an example just live in a junk apartment and staying home is required, but not nearly as nice as an extravagant home would be. It definitely doesn't make them want to stay in when they see how nice things these people have and the luxury of not needing to leave because they have so much money already. Where as my grandpa and uncle can't even barely afford food. So they are pretty much forced to go back to the middle east, its really depressing.

This virus is hurting immigrants more than anyone else and its really sad.

And like I said, the virus is really bad and I still think a quarantine is needed. But there is nothing no one on either side is doing to help immigrants like my family. Democrats more so want to do the most, but still nothing is getting done. And I actually don't care what side is at fault really, many immigrants are severely hurting and its not just the US that immigrants are suffering either. Its so depressing. No one is doing anything about it or if they try the other side stops it.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 10:02:26 pm by Trolldefender99 »

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36809 on: May 13, 2020, 10:19:52 pm »

In theory, the quarantine would be backed up by sufficient gov't aid (both to businesses and individuals) to keep things from unraveling during the quarantine period.

In reality, long-weakened social safety nets haven't been able to handle the unemployment claims in many states, and the aid that congress passed was insufficient. The SBA program ended up both being meagre and gamed at the same time. The new House bill is 3 trillion more dollars, but it's kind of a motley assortment of buckets the money goes into and doesn't (also can't) fix broken state unemployment systems. And, of course, Sen. McConnell is going to make sure that 3 trillion becomes much smaller.

I'd be interested to hear from those in other countries how quarantine has fared in terms of damage to business & unemployment. I personally just kind of assume the unemployment system is better in e.g. Europe, but honestly don't know.

Edit: And I should add, thanks for sharing, bleak as it may be. Best of luck to your extended family.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 10:22:03 pm by Dostoevsky »
Pages: 1 ... 2452 2453 [2454] 2455 2456 ... 3566