Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2447 2448 [2449] 2450 2451 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4223478 times)

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #36720 on: May 04, 2020, 07:22:51 pm »

I'm going to spoiler this since the majority of the America-related discussion has moved on from justifications for the October Revolution or whether the Holodomor was a genocide or an exercise in anti-dissidence to the more germane gun control, and I don't want to interrupt the others too much.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 07:27:23 pm by Culise »

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36721 on: May 04, 2020, 07:27:06 pm »

@CheesyHonkers

I'd suggest you re-read the forum guidelines, because self-admittedly insulting others' intelligence for the "dickish smug satisfaction" and talking dismissively and passive-aggressively about mass deaths of millions of people (man-made or not) is not exactly endorsed there.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 12:27:36 am by bloop_bleep »
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #36722 on: May 04, 2020, 11:30:31 pm »

Re mass shooting: is this the Nova Scotia one?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #36723 on: May 04, 2020, 11:42:57 pm »

No, that was a legit incident. THe one originally mentioned was a drive-by in Florida where nobody was killed (as of the latest reports).
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36724 on: May 05, 2020, 12:35:03 am »

even though pretty much nobody thinks that the proposed bans would have affected the majority of the incidents in any way.
Pretty much nobody thinks that banning guns affects most types of gun violence?

okay..

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36725 on: May 05, 2020, 02:35:20 am »

Again, the blanket answer of "Just ban all the guns! Problem solved!" is naive.

That is not actually a workable solution, because there simply is *NOT* enough police or wildlife services coverage to provide the necessary protection for deep rural citizens.  Gun ownership is the most cost-effective solution to that problem, and-- Guess what-- Bear and the like have very thick skin that needs penetrating power. Meaning "Big Scary Guns" are needed for them.

If everyone lived in a dense city, sure-- "ban all the guns!" would work.  But not everyone does. So it won't.

Because of that, any solution proposed needs to address the elephant in the room of "Fucking idiots that wont uphold the reason for not owning firearms in an urban environment, will just pop over a few counties over to a rural district, and buy their guns-- claiming that they are for a legit purpose like varmint removal."

The base issue is "Fucking idiots not thinking civically".  Always has been, always will be. 

It is not possible to have the cake (guns not available, so gun grime dries up completely), and eat it too (Not pay out your fucking ass in taxes in urban environments, to subsidize the outrageous costs of security needed to cover for that reduction in gun availability).

The better solution, instead of grabbing your stones and shrieking like a sissy that guns need to be banned (and then shrieking again at the increased costs that will incur), is to increase police action against the anti-social idiots who keep sneaking guns into cities.  Punish inappropriate ownership aggressively, etc.

Then, when that is all settled, accept that this is a compromise, and that the cost is that gun crime will still happen at some baseline rate, and stop pretending you can eliminate it without incurring that cost for the vacuum in security for rural areas.

Sorry, but I get fucking sick as hell of this discussion. 
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 02:38:09 am by wierd »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36726 on: May 05, 2020, 05:59:00 am »

Oh look-- CNN fucking GETS it!

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/05/politics/donald-trump-coronavirus-economy-models/index.html

Key take-aways:

A new model from the University of Washington, previously used by the White House suggested that 134,000 Americans could now die by August -- in a revised toll prompted by the likely impact of state openings. The total was more than double the same organization's estimate last month.

A draft internal report by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention obtained by The New York Times buckled the White House narrative that the worst of the pandemic is passed and it's time to get going again. It found that the daily death toll will reach about 3,000 by June 1, nearly double the current number.

How much is it worth, to worship at the altar of Mammon? 

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36727 on: May 05, 2020, 06:00:15 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spoilered derailish derail, we now return you to your previously derailed discussion already started.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36728 on: May 05, 2020, 08:04:04 am »

What we do need is compact, wearable AI-controlled pistol turrets as personal point-defense against drones and hornets.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36729 on: May 05, 2020, 08:26:31 am »

Again, the blanket answer of "Just ban all the guns! Problem solved!" is naive.
Yes, it is.

Sorry, but I get fucking sick as hell of this discussion.
Sorry to hear that. It is still relevant as a political issue, and it is an interesting question why gun violence is so much worse in the USA than anywhere else.

There are many countries with deep rural areas. Many countries allow hunting rifles. And somehow all of them manage to keep gun violence far better under control than this one exceptional country.

Not because other countries "ban all the guns". But then what does make the difference? Other countries do ban certain kinds of rifles and require licenses.. and this approach seems to work.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36730 on: May 05, 2020, 08:31:21 am »

Most other countries do not allow the polarization and shameless promulgation of "macho man with gun"-ism like the US either.  A gun is a potentially dangerous tool. Yet in the US it has an almost relugious connotation to certain noncivic-minded demographics.  A position actively cateted to by certain interest groups like the NRA.

Again the action to take is better police action. Cracking down on behavior that emperils the public is what laws and law enforcement is for.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36731 on: May 05, 2020, 08:46:53 am »

Most other countries do not allow the polarization and shameless promulgation of "macho man with gun"-ism like the US either.  A gun is a potentially dangerous tool. Yet in the US it has an almost relugious connotation to certain noncivic-minded demographics.  A position actively cateted to by certain interest groups like the NRA.

Again the action to take is better police action. Cracking down on behavior that emperils the public is what laws and law enforcement is for.
(For the record, I wasn't advocating to ban *all* guns, just pistols. Anyways.)

The problem with increasing police action against gun runners (for an existing example, people buying guns in Indiana and returning to Illinois) is that as it stands, and historically speaking, gun control is unevenly enforced against minorities. You can't yet rely on the US police to pick up the slack on this until their own communities trust them again, imo.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36732 on: May 05, 2020, 08:47:23 am »

Strictier requiriments fo getting a gun would do wonders. Also start employing the digit recognition thingy to allow weapons to be used only by it's registered owners. I read it has been done (the tech) to the point of being practical and safe, but some fucker gun factory owners lobby to cockblock it to ever happen because some laws in their states specify that once that tech becomes avaiable they must apply in theirs.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36733 on: May 05, 2020, 09:03:05 am »

Strictier requiriments fo getting a gun would do wonders. Also start employing the digit recognition thingy to allow weapons to be used only by it's registered owners. I read it has been done (the tech) to the point of being practical and safe, but some fucker gun factory owners lobby to cockblock it to ever happen because some laws in their states specify that once that tech becomes avaiable they must apply in theirs.
uh, yeah, laws apply to people, that’s the purpose of laws

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #36734 on: May 05, 2020, 09:09:16 am »

even though pretty much nobody thinks that the proposed bans would have affected the majority of the incidents in any way.
Pretty much nobody thinks that banning guns affects most types of gun violence?

okay..

Well, that's not what Lord Shonus's quote said. The quote said nobody thinks that "the proposed bans," which refers to a specific set of bans and not generally "banning guns" as you asserted, would not have affected "the majority of the incidents," meaning those incidents the bans were formulated in response to, as opposed to "most types of guns violence" - only those types relevant to the particular ban. This is likely the source of what I will charitably assume was an honest misunderstanding on your part and not a strawman, as strawmanning is dishonest, manipulative, and just generally fouls up discussion with uneeded inaccurate caricatures that nobody signed up to listen to. Oh, and it's lazy.

/fisking shears off
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 09:12:56 am by Eschar »
Pages: 1 ... 2447 2448 [2449] 2450 2451 ... 3566