Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2425 2426 [2427] 2428 2429 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4221661 times)

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #36390 on: April 22, 2020, 07:00:20 pm »

This ad is obscure (youtube biden ad, it was posted 4 days ago). It paints Biden as a hero claiming that he would have had CDC people in Wuhan on day 1. Blames China for the virus, then Trump for saying China did their best and makes it sound like he personally let in 40,000 Americans after closing the borders. Completely ignores the bad handling of the virus once it was in the US, and ignores the push for early opening.

Whether or not it is racist, it's xenophobic as fuck. Let's go, XenoJoe!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #36391 on: April 22, 2020, 07:04:03 pm »

I still remember the chill that I felt during one of the debates when Biden went off about China, saying "we're going to be in your country whether you like it or not, and we're going to decide what happens" or something to that effect. Just utterly naked imperialist shit.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #36392 on: April 22, 2020, 07:44:33 pm »

He's probably not wrong that the CDC would have been in Wuhan on day one if they could've. The absolute gutting of the CDC and its fall from preeminence, the model for similar organizations in the EU and elsewhere going from a leading role during Ebola to much diminished when we need it most.

But uh, that's a slightly different point.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36393 on: April 23, 2020, 10:19:18 am »

Once again, not sure which threat this belongs in, but since it's more of "What the fuck is our government doing?" rather than "Important COVID news" I'll drop it here.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-usa-hhschief-speci/special-report-former-labradoodle-breeder-was-tapped-to-lead-u-s-pandemic-task-force-idUSKCN2243CE

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #36394 on: April 23, 2020, 10:33:05 am »

Man listening to Trump pitch hydroxychloroquine, which he can't even fucking pronounce half the time, is deeply disturbing.

"What have you got to lose. Just take it."

"It's not like if something goes wrong, it's going to kill you."

You know where I've heard stuff like that from before? Illegal drug pushers trying to peer pressure people in to taking shit, so they'll become customers.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36395 on: April 23, 2020, 10:37:12 am »

Man listening to Trump pitch hydroxychloroquine, which he can't even fucking pronounce half the time, is deeply disturbing.

"What have you got to lose. Just take it."

"It's not like if something goes wrong, it's going to kill you."[/url]

You know where I've heard stuff like that from before? Illegal drug pushers trying to peer pressure people in to taking shit, so they'll become customers.

The people most at risk of dying already have some heart issues, which hydroxychloroquine can cause issues with. And people have died from taking it, and more have died because they got the wrong thing.

The Ensorceler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36396 on: April 23, 2020, 11:18:53 am »

And there are big shortages so that people with fucking Lupus are being emailed to thank them for their upcoming sacrifice of not being given more medicine for the forseeable future.

Pushing untested drugs on a population primed to buy the InfoWars supplement of the month is wildly irresponsible and will come with a death toll. Also he's only doing it because having a cure makes him look less incompetant.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36397 on: April 23, 2020, 11:27:52 am »

And there are big shortages so that people with fucking Lupus are being emailed to thank them for their upcoming sacrifice of not being given more medicine for the forseeable future.

Pushing untested drugs on a population primed to buy the InfoWars supplement of the month is wildly irresponsible and will come with a death toll. Also he's only doing it because having a cure makes him look less incompetant.

He's doing it because he stands to directly, literally profit from it.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

The Ensorceler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36398 on: April 23, 2020, 12:06:23 pm »

Arghhhhhh

I hate this

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36399 on: April 23, 2020, 12:31:12 pm »

Surprisingly I think the scam here is mostly political. I think it got started due to a few grifters who did have some financial interest in it pushing the story on weak evidence (the scam is limited somewhat by it being a generic drug), and then it either randomly fell in his lap or was put there by someone with access to him. I think journalist investigations into how much he and his cronies are directly profiting from this didn't turn up much beyond the usual mountain of conflicts of interest and ordinary corruption; it looks like his usual tactic of throwing meaningless noise out there, doubling down on it out of genuine vanity, and then turning the resulting stupid "controversy" into a political issue.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36400 on: April 23, 2020, 01:38:28 pm »

Not that I honestly doubt this, but do you have a citation? I've been trying to not pay attention to this particular wrinkle of... whatever one may call it.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36401 on: April 23, 2020, 01:52:41 pm »

Not that I honestly doubt this, but do you have a citation? I've been trying to not pay attention to this particular wrinkle of... whatever one may call it.

It's a small financial stake, but just looking for hydroxychloroquine and Trump will find you plenty of articles. With his business acumen, it's equally likely that he is over or underestimating his stake, and is just suggesting this as a cure because Elon Musk thought is was a good idea.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36402 on: April 23, 2020, 02:44:50 pm »

Straight from the horses' mouth:

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2020/apr/09/facebook-posts/trump-has-tiny-financial-stake-company-manufacture/

If Trump says it's tiny, then in reality it's probably YUGE.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 02:57:44 pm by nenjin »

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36403 on: April 23, 2020, 04:22:00 pm »

From that very same article, it's an investment in a fund that is partially composed of stock from that company.

Let’s pretend that Trump’s last financial disclosure form is up-to-date and that his total holdings in Sanofi are valued at $1,500 — the high end of the range.

Since March 20, the day after the president first mentioned chloroquine during a press briefing, the company’s stock value has increased by about 17.3%. That would mean the value of Trump’s shares in Sanofi has increased by nearly $260.

I mean, it exists. But it's hardly anything noteworthy as long as reality aligns with the facts as they're recorded.

EDIT: To clarify, that's not to say I approve of anything about this whole fiasco. But that's really nitpicking a detail that really doesn't need to be nitpicked when you're comparing a couple hundred dollars of profit to potentially many lives lost.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 04:23:40 pm by sluissa »

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #36404 on: April 23, 2020, 05:17:34 pm »

Once again, not sure which threat this belongs in, but since it's more of "What the fuck is our government doing?" rather than "Important COVID news" I'll drop it here.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-usa-hhschief-speci/special-report-former-labradoodle-breeder-was-tapped-to-lead-u-s-pandemic-task-force-idUSKCN2243CE

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Harrison_(United_States)
Harrison attended Texas A&M University and worked in the Department of Health and Human Services during the Presidency of George W. Bush. He has also held positions at other federal agencies including in the Social Security Administration, in the United States Department of Defense, and in the Office of the Vice-President. After leaving government service he was employed as director of the healthcare practice for DCI Group and was a 2011 delegate to the American Council on Germany's American-German Young Leaders Conference. He later opened a labradoodle-breeding business.

Sure, labradoodle breeding was a thing he did, I guess.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 05:19:37 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?
Pages: 1 ... 2425 2426 [2427] 2428 2429 ... 3566