Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2424 2425 [2426] 2427 2428 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4221541 times)

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #36375 on: April 21, 2020, 11:00:13 am »

Sounds like an extremely poorly conceived plan to put yourself into debt for something like that. We sure he wasn't just planning on reselling the domains to the astroturfers for a significant markup on the price? That's what I would have done, personally.

Yeah, even I can think of ways around what he did. I think trying to sell at a markup would run him afoul of domain squatting laws (which, to be fair, is what he is trying to do).

Those typically are only enforceable if a trademark is involved. Not sure if there is one here, but given the nature of the way they're doing things, I'd highly doubt it. If there is, that seems like a pretty easy public records lookup. (Not finding anything myself with about 30 seconds of effort.)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36376 on: April 21, 2020, 11:31:19 am »

Glad it was not legit astroturfing.

That's an oxymoron, sorry. The term astroturfing specifically applies to the fake situation. It contrasts with the term "grass roots" since Astro-Turf is a brand of fake grass. So if it's legit, it's not astroturf.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #36377 on: April 21, 2020, 11:58:05 am »

That's an oxymoron, sorry. The term astroturfing specifically applies to the fake situation. It contrasts with the term "grass roots" since Astro-Turf is a brand of fake grass. So if it's legit, it's not astroturf.

Once legitimacy has been legitimately determined, it can no longer be legitimately labelled illegitimate, lest the legitimacy of the original legitimacy claim be called into question, and then the legitimacy of that claim must be determined.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #36378 on: April 21, 2020, 11:58:29 am »

*narrows eyes*

What if I had some sleazy off-brand Astro-Turf substitute? Couldn't the original brand then be referred to as "legitimate Astro-Turf"?

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36379 on: April 21, 2020, 12:11:54 pm »

"This ain't astroturf! You just painted the dirt green!"

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36380 on: April 21, 2020, 12:35:39 pm »

As a person who works in the advocacy realm, I can tell you I have indeed heard of cases of "non legit astroturfing." It's rather amusing, really.

In the situations I can think of, it's a scammer that tries to sell astroturfing to interest groups, but just pockets the money (or otherwise wastes it) instead of doing it.

An one might imagine, the Trump realm has led to (or perhaps just helped stimulate more of) further types of scams, fleecing, bilking, and otherwise skeezy activities in certain political populaces.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #36381 on: April 21, 2020, 01:17:52 pm »

Saw an anti-Trump ad this morning from America’s Bridge PAC (or whatever it’s called PACs are stupid) that wasn’t really anti-Trump so much as anti-China.

It was quite stupid.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #36382 on: April 21, 2020, 01:42:59 pm »

Yes, apparently the DNC is going with "let's bring back Yellow Peril and say Trump is in league with the inscrutable Orient" for their campaign strategy. Sure am glad they picked the electable candidate, eh boys?

For the future, I'm thinking we run ads implying Melania Trump is a filthy prostitute, and questioning the place of women's suffrage in a prosperous America.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #36383 on: April 21, 2020, 02:19:14 pm »

It's likely Monday's immigration E.O. is a red herring from the newest story on the Senate Intel report.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36384 on: April 21, 2020, 04:41:47 pm »

Saw an anti-Trump ad this morning from America’s Bridge PAC (or whatever it’s called PACs are stupid) that wasn’t really anti-Trump so much as anti-China.

It was quite stupid.

It depends. What I got was: Are you a racist? Then maybe consider the DNC, they're racist as fuck.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #36385 on: April 21, 2020, 06:25:25 pm »

Clearly the winning strategy is to make fun of Trump's hair for 6 months.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36386 on: April 21, 2020, 06:49:14 pm »

'Did not, it's clearly cyan... wait!'

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36387 on: April 21, 2020, 06:59:03 pm »

'Did not, it's clearly cyan... wait!'
its Cyanobacteria time

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36388 on: April 22, 2020, 10:52:47 am »

Didn't see the ad, but it's possible to be anti-Chinese state and not anti-Chinese race or people.

It's the same false equivalence that gets people to throw around the word "anti-semitism" when someone calls out Israel on their wrongdoings.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36389 on: April 22, 2020, 03:44:14 pm »

Didn't see the ad, but it's possible to be anti-Chinese state and not anti-Chinese race or people.

It's the same false equivalence that gets people to throw around the word "anti-semitism" when someone calls out Israel on their wrongdoings.

It's an advertisement for a guy who supports segregation in the year 2020, because he doesn't want a "racial jungle". We could give him the benefit of the doubt, but only if we ignore the past, and also the present.
Pages: 1 ... 2424 2425 [2426] 2427 2428 ... 3566