Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2419 2420 [2421] 2422 2423 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4221835 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #36300 on: April 17, 2020, 11:02:50 am »

To be fair the amount of soccer moms who believe they know more about kids health than docs do just because they shat out a precious child a few times probably would jade doctors a bit.

Or all those "ASK YOUR DOCTOR ABOUT ASSPILLS" advertisements on TV.

Fun fact: those advertisements aren't actually universal, they're a byproduct of American pharma companies trying to side-step legislation about how prescriptions work in the USA. We don't get adverts about prescription medicine here, at all, those kinds of ads would be shitcanned immediately and the consumer rights organizations would stomp them out of existence within days.

The closest we get is ads for over the counter stuff, and the thing at the end is more like "if you are using this for over 2 weeks, then just stop immediately and go talk to a doctor instead".

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/28/sunday-review/ask-your-doctor-if-this-ad-is-right-for-you.html

The United State and New Zealand are the only two countries that allow consumer advertising for drugs.

Yep, that's completely illegal pretty much everywhere.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 11:09:03 am by Reelya »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #36301 on: April 17, 2020, 11:08:59 am »

Reminds me of the last time I went to the dermatologist.

"Hey doc, I've had pretty bad backne my whole life, anything I can do about it?"

"Yeah, there's this foam you can apply to dry your skin out!"

"Cool, can I get a prescription?"

"Oh it's not a prescription, you can't get it at pharmacies. Someone will call you and contact you about it."

"So it's a medical product you can't get at a pharmacy?"

"Yeah. And be careful if you put too much on, it can dry you out to the point your skin cracks."

*not 5 minutes after leaving his office*

"Hey this is soandso with soandso, we're ready to ship you your foam."

Needless to say, I told them to fuck off, and incidentally that dermatology practice just split in to two separate businesses. I felt like this dude was funneling me to a vendor peddling an unapproved product with the air of medical authority about it, and more than likely getting a cut for every referral, because this is how business and medicine operate these days in the US. Fucking bastards.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 11:14:32 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #36302 on: April 17, 2020, 11:27:22 am »

"Hey this is soandso with soandso, we're ready to ship you your foam."

I felt like this dude was funneling me to a vendor peddling an unapproved product with the air of medical authority about it, and more than likely getting a cut for every referral,
Encountered a doctor engaged in something shady like this.
He ended up getting dragged into a civil suit by an large insurance company for phoney billing. They accused him prescribing a voodoo mixture made only by drug stores he was allegedly in cahoots with to all patients, irregardless of need. RICO Act violations.
The feds and the DEA were also involved but I don't know what came of that
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #36303 on: April 17, 2020, 01:41:46 pm »

In tweets, Trump endorses the ongoing protests of state lockdown, calling to "LIBERATE MINNESOTA!", "LIBERATE MICHIGAN", "LIBERATE VIRGINIA, and save your great 2nd Amendment. It is under siege!" All of those states are run by Democratic governors. This seems to come into conflict with the federal guidelines recently issued by the White House asserting that States have the right to decide when and how to un-lockdown, and giving advice on what criteria they should use to decide so.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 02:00:50 pm by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36304 on: April 17, 2020, 01:43:47 pm »

God if you're up there, [please do something about this guy]. For all our sake's.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 04:51:40 pm by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36305 on: April 17, 2020, 02:19:36 pm »

All this is humongously backfiring for Trump. If you look at pretty much every nation, unpopular leaders are getting a huge popularity boost due to the coronavirus, the whole war-time president effect. But not Trump.

That's because he's doing it all wrong. People want to know the adults are in charge during a crisis.

EDIT: All he needed to do was some "we'll get through this together" speeches and then hand it off to the health officials to give the advice while he shuts up and gets off stage. But instead first he hands it off to Pence, then he spends the rest of the time constantly saying how it's nothing to do with him and nothing is his fault.

Trump's core strategies of distract and divide don't work when there's an ongoing crisis out of his control. Trump's basic advantage is how he short circuits the OODA Loop (observe–orient–decide–act) of his rivals, which is a military concept about the turn-around time in competitive decision making. If you can get your turnaround in reacting to changes in events fast enough, you can disrupt the decision-making of the enemy (since by the time they've made a new plan, you've changed the situation already), which becomes a huge advantage.

Therefore, by the time you've sorted out your response to the previous thing Trump did or said, Trump has already moved on to doing something even crazier than you need to respond to, rendering your previous response invalid. Trump acts, you react. However, the pandemic is like a law of nature, pushing Trump into pure reaction mode, but he's still trying to "beat" the coronavirus by engineering new crises of his own that push him back into the limelight, such as announcing the WHO de-funding. I'm pretty sure that Trump is just jealous of coronavirus getting all that airtime.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 02:38:23 pm by Reelya »

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36306 on: April 17, 2020, 02:56:03 pm »

Trump saw the motherfuckers waving around confederate flags in Michigan (a Union state if you remember, you somehow have less of an excuse then the no excuse people have down here for them) and couldn't keep silent. How could he stand by and watch as s t a t e ' s r i g h t s are trampl- oh wait.
Wasteland 1 & 2
"Power Couple: Markus Athing & Cyborg 45"

Makes me curious, can cyborgs have future babies too?
On the offchance they can, I know who I want my daddy to be
(finished)Age of Decadence

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36307 on: April 17, 2020, 05:15:54 pm »

Something occurred to me. If Trump tweets LIBERATE and idiots with weapons decide to act on that, isn't Trump forced to deploy Federal military forces to respond? Doesn't that hand the idiots the exact thing they're always paranoid about, "the guberment is gonna come and take our guns"?

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36308 on: April 17, 2020, 06:07:57 pm »

Something occurred to me. If Trump tweets LIBERATE and idiots with weapons decide to act on that, isn't Trump forced to deploy Federal military forces to respond? Doesn't that hand the idiots the exact thing they're always paranoid about, "the guberment is gonna come and take our guns"?

Does that matter? In the heads of people crazy enough to do that, Trump and the government aren't one entity. Trump is fighting the "Deep State". Trump is protecting them from the government.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #36309 on: April 17, 2020, 06:13:11 pm »

I think any incident stemming from that would probably be responded to by the state National Guards if police weren't enough, so it'd be on the governors. Though frankly, the police are almost as well-armed as NG forces now anyway. They're missing what, MBTs and armed helicopters?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #36310 on: April 17, 2020, 06:37:47 pm »

Does that matter? In the heads of people crazy enough to do that, Trump and the government aren't one entity. Trump is fighting the "Deep State". Trump is protecting them from the government.

Even though he is the head of government?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #36311 on: April 17, 2020, 06:43:12 pm »

People who believe in this, either Qanon cultists or adjacent, tend to believe that Trump is an embedded dissident who will surely any day now "round up the deep state pedophiles" for military tribunal and public execution, possibly also purging America of all liberals and Democratic politicians as well and becoming President-For-Life and making Southern Baptism the state religion and curing all diseases and-

There's no limit to the different shades of this stuff, and it's only gotten more and more wild over time as "the storm" fails to materialize. I can't even imagine what they'll start saying if Trump stops being President or catches covid.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 06:44:46 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36312 on: April 17, 2020, 06:50:24 pm »

I have seen people post all of those things. This includes the president for life thing as a HAHA WOULDNT THIS BE FUNNY ID NEVER WANT THIS But like and repost. etc.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36313 on: April 17, 2020, 10:19:19 pm »

https://twitter.com/ElBartoArmy/status/1248655349210628101

This is the level of crazy we're dealing with. ^

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36314 on: April 17, 2020, 10:22:58 pm »

What...wow, it seems people get crazier and crazier with each tweet that’s posted
Pages: 1 ... 2419 2420 [2421] 2422 2423 ... 3566