Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2407 2408 [2409] 2410 2411 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4224171 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #36120 on: April 06, 2020, 11:59:19 pm »

Don't you mean a fareill?
Love, scriver~

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36121 on: April 07, 2020, 12:20:48 am »

Don't do that shit to me man, my brain tries to parse it like "nonpareil" so it rhymes with way, then some weird almost Celtic nonsense like "farool" before I noticed the obvious fare ill interpretation.

That's probably why I avoided it as an inversion of wishing someone to fare well, though "fare ill" makes sense too, but I liked how "fare badly" turned out.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36122 on: April 07, 2020, 11:42:21 am »

https://www.forbes.com/sites/emmawoollacott/2020/03/25/tracking-the-trackers-coronavirus-surveillance-around-the-world/#13490938502d

So, I don't hear this being brought up much, but this is one of the truly scary things I've seen happening as a result of all of this.

If, as they keep trying to say, Covid-19 is this generation's 9/11 or Pearl Harbor, my opinion is this sort of surveillance is going to be the long term fallout like the PATRIOT Act or Japanese internment.

What's worse is that this is worldwide, not limited to a single or few closely connected countries reacting to a specific identifiable threat.

Now, I'm not one to suggest that we shouldn't use tools available to fight a threat like this, but my worry is simply that, once the threat has passed, that the effects of such tight surveillance won't be going away. I'm also unconvinced that a government as unorganized as ours is able to actually do anything useful with said surveillance information that would be helpful against a threat like a disease.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #36123 on: April 07, 2020, 12:14:02 pm »

It's the old safety vs. freedom argument, same thing that was debated for the PATRIOT Act.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #36124 on: April 07, 2020, 12:57:01 pm »

They'll take the excuse and run as far as they can with it.  They always do.

Coincidentally, the EARN IT Act is the latest major attempt to make surveillance access online absolute and put the final nail in the coffin of internet privacy, and it was introduced just before Covid-19 started shutting everything down.

EFF assessment of the bill here

There's been woefully little chatter about this.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36125 on: April 07, 2020, 01:56:50 pm »

They'll take the excuse and run as far as they can with it.  They always do.

Coincidentally, the EARN IT Act is the latest major attempt to make surveillance access online absolute and put the final nail in the coffin of internet privacy, and it was introduced just before Covid-19 started shutting everything down.

EFF assessment of the bill here

There's been woefully little chatter about this.

I think I posted something on it, but I think it was near the bottom of a page or in the middle of a discussion.

Edit: Also, one of Biden's handlers wasn't paying attention and ABC got an interview with him. It's pretty special.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 02:00:27 pm by Iduno »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36126 on: April 07, 2020, 07:22:27 pm »

Look, if Biden dies and they just do a Weekend at Bernie'sBiden's with his corpse, I'm still gonna try to vote for it, it is literally impossible to be worse than Trump for everyone.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36127 on: April 07, 2020, 07:24:30 pm »

Dare I say Biden's aproval rating might actually improve in such an arrangement.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #36128 on: April 07, 2020, 07:52:16 pm »

It'll be the choice between a demented rapist and racist grandpa who has trouble remembering where he is, and a guy who is literally congratulating himself for doing nothing (other than possibly promoting a drug he has financial interest in) while tens of thousands of Americans are dead.

At this point I'd prefer a race between two actual corpses. At least the dead can't fucking lie to you or spin their bullshit anymore.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36129 on: April 07, 2020, 08:03:46 pm »

It'll be the choice between a demented rapist and racist grandpa who has trouble remembering where he is, and a guy who is literally congratulating himself for doing nothing (other than possibly promoting a drug he has financial interest in) while tens of thousands of Americans are dead.

At this point I'd prefer a race between two actual corpses. At least the dead can't fucking lie to you or spin their bullshit anymore.
while true, they also can’t act for interests, either, unless...

Action 1: Use necromancy to bring back past presidents of the USA, with their personalities in tact by placing their spirits in their respective bodies

Action 2: Have them in a live debate with the living candidates without imposing time limits, shown to all audiences via all news stations

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36130 on: April 07, 2020, 08:44:48 pm »

But hey! We can mine from the moon now - yay?
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36131 on: April 07, 2020, 09:00:49 pm »

Action 2: Have them in a live debate with the living candidates without imposing time limits, shown to all audiences via all news stations

At least trump won't lose voters
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36132 on: April 07, 2020, 09:09:27 pm »

Action 1: Use necromancy to bring back past presidents of the USA, with their personalities in tact by placing their spirits in their respective bodies

This won't actually work, since as far as I know term limits still apply even if the President is a lich.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36133 on: April 07, 2020, 09:13:11 pm »

Look, if Biden dies and they just do a Weekend at Bernie'sBiden's with his corpse, I'm still gonna try to vote for it, it is literally impossible to be worse than Trump for everyone.

"The only way to beat a bad guy with a fascism, is a good guy with a fascism."

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36134 on: April 07, 2020, 09:22:25 pm »

Don't quote me and act like that even has an ironic relevance to what I said, keep your whataboutism out of my mouth thanks.
Pages: 1 ... 2407 2408 [2409] 2410 2411 ... 3566