Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2385 2386 [2387] 2388 2389 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4204414 times)

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #35790 on: March 24, 2020, 08:34:27 am »

Without getting into details, there is indeed some of that going on at each side of the aisle. At the same time, McConnell hasn't entirely been acting in good faith over the past few days.

The $425 billion dollars to 'distressed businesses' that Mnuchin gets sole control of (with very little oversight) is probably one of the most contentious issues at this point that actually has a chance of getting resolved (if it hasn't already). It's nearly half a trillion dollars that gets less than 10 sentences on how it's spent. Maybe if it wasn't Mnuchin I wouldn't be quite so worried about that, to be honest.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35791 on: March 24, 2020, 10:34:29 am »

Insert meme of guy with 2 buttons.
Save America and look good to everyone for the next election.

Vs

Bailout only those who pay homage to me, possibly expanding my loyal base of supporters, while my detractors get screwed.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35792 on: March 24, 2020, 10:47:21 am »

Given that they're still talking about this being over and done with a week or so from now... I'd hold off on that "Save America" button option just yet.

They're 100% ready to screw this up even worse than it already is if the people who know what they're doing don't step EXTREMELY carefully.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/03/were-in-a-public-health-crisis-wheres-the-cdc/

And yesterday Dr. Anthony Fauci was removed from the briefing crew after doing an interview wherein he was a little more honest that he probably should have been about his push back against the president.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35793 on: March 24, 2020, 10:51:38 am »

Given that they're still talking about this being over and done with a week or so from now... I'd hold off on that "Save America" button option just yet.

They're 100% ready to screw this up even worse than it already is if the people who know what they're doing don't step EXTREMELY carefully.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/03/were-in-a-public-health-crisis-wheres-the-cdc/

And yesterday Dr. Anthony Fauci was removed from the briefing crew after doing an interview wherein he was a little more honest that he probably should have been about his push back against the president.
when being too honest can get you removed, this means trouble

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35794 on: March 24, 2020, 10:59:41 am »

Ooph.

The man is right in how he dealt with Trump though, immediately contradicting Trump in news conferences and what-not would have had him removed much sooner.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35795 on: March 24, 2020, 12:10:44 pm »

Without getting into details, there is indeed some of that going on at each side of the aisle. At the same time, McConnell hasn't entirely been acting in good faith over the past few days.

The $425 billion dollars to 'distressed businesses' that Mnuchin gets sole control of (with very little oversight) is probably one of the most contentious issues at this point that actually has a chance of getting resolved (if it hasn't already). It's nearly half a trillion dollars that gets less than 10 sentences on how it's spent. Maybe if it wasn't Mnuchin I wouldn't be quite so worried about that, to be honest.

For extra fun, remember that those same companies are getting states and local governments to bail them out as well. I haven't yet heard of counties doing the same, as they generally have no tax money to hand out.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35796 on: March 24, 2020, 12:16:06 pm »

For extra fun, remember that those same companies are getting states and local governments to bail them out as well. I haven't yet heard of counties doing the same, as they generally have no tax money to hand out.

Well, the federal government is (I think?) giving money to state & local government in this bill, so I guess states get to be a middle man for giving aid to companies?

More seriously, states may not be able to bail them out much thanks to many states have stricter laws (for good reason, sometimes) against running deficits. And they're going to be in trouble soon if not now.

Back on the relief bill, sounding like we may get a deal by the end of the day. A bit more oversight of the 'slush fund', but hard to know if it'll be enough. (Also no text yet, as they're not quite done.) House probably going to get rolled.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35797 on: March 24, 2020, 05:04:37 pm »

Looks like Dr. Fauci is back on the briefing crew, so that's good. But as late as this morning, they had cancelled the briefing and he was not on the list of speakers for the alternative town hall they'd had planned. Not sure what happened to that.

Looks like New Yorkers are getting the finger of shame for fleeing their fair city in the face of plague and potentially taking said plague with them.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35798 on: March 25, 2020, 01:29:37 pm »

Thought some folks might find this darkly funny:

So the bill's finalized, on the track to being done, but now a group of Rs is saying that they're blocking the bill because the unemployment provision could give someone more than the working wage they had before losing their job.

So yeah.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35799 on: March 25, 2020, 02:19:18 pm »

So the bill's finalized, on the track to being done, but now a group of Rs is saying that they're blocking the bill because the unemployment provision could give someone more than the working wage they had before losing their job.

So yeah.
that probably means the working wage is too low

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #35800 on: March 25, 2020, 02:26:09 pm »

Coronavirus is already everywhere.

I just hope that people understand that there was a time when this could have been prevented. Multiple times. And those times were missed specifically because authoritarians in China and in the USA were worried about looking bad, about losing power, about losing money.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35801 on: March 25, 2020, 02:51:41 pm »

So yeah.

what no
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35802 on: March 25, 2020, 02:58:13 pm »

I just hope that people understand that there was a time when this could have been prevented. Multiple times. And those times were missed specifically because authoritarians in China and in the USA were worried about looking bad, about losing power, about losing money.
You want to give the blame just on those two countries?  Generous...

I prefer to think of it as the cost of living being too high, not that wages are too low.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35803 on: March 25, 2020, 03:27:06 pm »

You want to give the blame just on those two countries?  Generous...

I prefer to think of it as the cost of living being too high, not that wages are too low.
Yes, this as well, cost of living being so high that wages are too low to support it, I see this as the same problem listed in different ways

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35804 on: March 25, 2020, 04:11:51 pm »

...also maybe that the people blocking the bill because some poor people might get more money than they were previously scraping by with are just a bunch of ivory tower evil fuckwits.

I think it might mean that.
Pages: 1 ... 2385 2386 [2387] 2388 2389 ... 3566