Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2384 2385 [2386] 2387 2388 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4204190 times)

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #35775 on: March 23, 2020, 07:31:36 am »

Protips: put a “.” After the “.com” to bypass the WaPo paywall.
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35776 on: March 23, 2020, 07:51:52 am »

Sorry I didn't even read the article, was just focusing on the headline.

It's increasingly relevant to me - my company just announced pending "cost reduction measures" but no further details. The announcement did indicate trying to keep headcount, so that means reduced pay...  which is better than losing a job but it absolutely emphasizes the snowball effect of the worldwide shutdown.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35777 on: March 23, 2020, 01:15:46 pm »

Protips: put a “.” After the “.com” to bypass the WaPo paywall.

Doesn't work for me, not sure if there's some other trick.

EDIT: I was apparently derping.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 01:56:29 pm by sluissa »

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #35778 on: March 23, 2020, 01:18:49 pm »

The link is supposed to look like this

https://www.washingtonpost.com./opinions/2020/03/21/debt-jubilee-is-only-way-avoid-depression/

It that didn’t work then I don’t know, sorry
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

The Ensorceler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35779 on: March 23, 2020, 01:21:50 pm »

I *know* he was really flawed, and endorsed some evil shit (indigenous land rights, etc)

Wait, what's this about? Edit: if you're talking about UNDRIP or the like I suppose I'll have to respectfully disagree on the descriptor you used.
Rereading the Standing Rock timeline, I wish he'd done more, but he and his administration weren't ignoring as much as I thought. I was unaware of EMAC providing a tenuous justification for importing cops the way it happened and I really hate that it was, but there was not, in fact, a way for Obama to point at it and say "wait, that's illegal" as I assumed.

@Iduno Refusing to vote for democrats because Obama made some but not all things better is dumb. I *know* he was really flawed, and endorsed some evil shit (indigenous land rights, etc) but you can primary a Democrat and push things around. Republicans straight-up arent responsive to public opinion at this point and they need to get crushed out of office for it. Abandoning the democratic party pushes it right a lot more than voting for things you actually want because you expect not to get them.

Nah, you're right. I should vote for rapists, racists, and people who want to kill me and anyone like me. If I don't reward them for being terrible, how will they get better?

It's been shown that voting for the lesser of two evils only determines the baseline amount of evil they'll aim for next time, which is why we keep getting worse candidates. They even tried to run a person who could best be described as "what if we found someone who was like Donald Trump, except worse in literally every way." Democrats are also straight-up aren't responsive to public opinion at this point, and they need to be crushed out of office for it.
This is flagrantly untrue and you know it. Republicans openly embrace voter suppression tactics and hide from their constituents, flee their own state to prevent a quorum from being reached and try to legislate people like you and me out of existance. The democratic party is not unanimously on our side, but we *have* a side in the democratic party, and it isn't small or disappearing.

Bloomberg is a piece of shit, but he wasn't getting anyone's votes. Letting him into the primary pushed him out of the race and claimed his money for the general. Democratic voters didn't vote for him. He is not the face of the party. I don't like Biden either, but he will be good enough to build on. He's rejected universal healthcare, but still is willing to expand access. That is a good thing. He can appoint supreme court justices that wont literally allow us to be murdered in the streets.

Also, and this goes for everybody, don't stop voting in the primary just because Biden is leading. A vote for Bernie or whoever you like is a proclamation of what policy you're willing to give your vote to get and it'll influence platform shifts ahead of the general and for the next election cycle. I know the people are shit, often. Vote for policy, and move the needle.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35780 on: March 23, 2020, 01:34:28 pm »

Rereading the Standing Rock timeline, I wish he'd done more, but he and his administration weren't ignoring as much as I thought. I was unaware of EMAC providing a tenuous justification for importing cops the way it happened and I really hate that it was, but there was not, in fact, a way for Obama to point at it and say "wait, that's illegal" as I assumed.

Oh-- for a minute there I thought you were talking about indigenous land rights being evil or something. Never mind then!

In other news, Senate is locked in drama today (at least publicly) but there seems to be a fair amount of hope some deal is reached before the end of the day. Bill seems to be getting better, though there are definitely still problematic parts.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35781 on: March 23, 2020, 01:56:03 pm »

The link is supposed to look like this

https://www.washingtonpost.com./opinions/2020/03/21/debt-jubilee-is-only-way-avoid-depression/

It that didn’t work then I don’t know, sorry

Worked now, not sure why it wasn't working before. Guess I was screwing up something.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35782 on: March 23, 2020, 08:56:09 pm »

I wonder how much of my ignorance to paywalls comes from my deliberately breaking 95% of the internet with ublock/umatrix/prohibitive custom blocking rules because fuck any goddamn page designer who thinks this:
Quod ipsum
lorem ipsum quod
ipso lorem quod.
Quod ipsum
lorem ipsum quod
ipso lorem quod
Is better than:
Quod ipsum lorem ipsum quod ipso lorem quod. Quod ipsum lorem ipsum quod ipso lorem quod.
Quod ipsum lorem ipsum quod ipso lorem quod. Quod ipsum lorem ipsum quod ipso lorem quod. Quod ipsum lorem ipsum quod ipso lorem quod.
Quod ipsum lorem ipsum quod ipso lorem quod. Quod ipsum lorem ipsum quod ipso lorem quod.

Because I legitimately did not know wapo, theatlantic, or several other sites had paywalls after I permablocked the ones from wired and nytimes. Hell, I let a lot of theatlantic site stuff work because they keep the text density high and it makes the internal links easier to deal with but the blank gray space on either side still pisses me off.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #35783 on: March 23, 2020, 09:01:42 pm »

I wonder how much of my ignorance to paywalls comes from my deliberately breaking 95% of the internet with ublock/umatrix/prohibitive custom blocking rules because fuck any goddamn page designer who thinks this:
Quod ipsum
lorem ipsum quod
ipso lorem quod.
Quod ipsum
lorem ipsum quod
ipso lorem quod
Is better than:
Quod ipsum lorem ipsum quod ipso lorem quod. Quod ipsum lorem ipsum quod ipso lorem quod. Quod ipsum lorem ipsum quod ipso lorem quod.

Because I legitimately did not know wapo, theatlantic, or several other sites had paywalls after I permablocked the ones from wired and nytimes. Hell, I let a lot of theatlantic site stuff work because they keep the text density high and it makes the internal links easier to deal with but the blank gray space on either side still pisses me off.
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Fusce elementum sapien quis magna pharetra, in rutrum metus tempus.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35784 on: March 23, 2020, 09:32:42 pm »

Quod ipsum
lorem ipsum quod
ipso lorem quod.
Quod ipsum
lorem ipsum quod
ipso lorem quod
Is better than:

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Fusce elementum sapien quis magna pharetra, in rutrum metus tempus.
what language is this? Are each of you using a different language? Or simply random letters?

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35785 on: March 23, 2020, 09:33:48 pm »

Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35787 on: March 24, 2020, 12:14:37 am »

Yeah, couldn't remember the whole thing but you see it in the background text on shit all over various media when you look for it.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35788 on: March 24, 2020, 01:12:53 am »

Itchy Mitchy, Puddin Pie-- Dropped the ball, and folk's'l die.
While the fed tries to show the way, Mitchie wants to save the rich today.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/23/opinion/coronavirus-bailout-mcconnell-congress.html

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35789 on: March 24, 2020, 08:18:22 am »

Funny how it still comes down to (more or less) party line votes, even at times like these.

I'm not sure exactly what was in the bill, and I doubt most of the senators could tell you either, but I did vaguely hear there was some pushing on both sides to cram things in that were unnecessary and probably lead to this sort of outcome. How true that is is debatable.

Still probably leans more on McConnell's shoulders since he's basically got the say of what will reach the floor.
Pages: 1 ... 2384 2385 [2386] 2387 2388 ... 3566