Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2377 2378 [2379] 2380 2381 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4202828 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #35670 on: March 19, 2020, 07:50:54 am »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/18/politics/democratic-primary-bernie-sanders/index.html

Sanders actually has a sense of priorities, to the chagrin of reporters.  Dares to use the F bomb.

When asked about the difference between 2016 and 2020, McAuliffe said, "Here is the big difference: Donald Trump."

Do these people *literally* have worms in their brains?
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #35671 on: March 19, 2020, 07:56:41 am »

I rolled my eyes so hard at that part they fell onto the floor and started reading a better article.

Edit: Hyperbole, of course. I'm actually thinking the delays will not be in Biden's favor, as he seems to have waning mental endurance.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 07:58:22 am by delphonso »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35672 on: March 19, 2020, 08:17:48 am »

I still find myself (and I am still admonishing myself for it), wanting to see Biden catch our lovely invisible bug, then be unable to get treatment, because our healthcare system is overloaded-- because "FUCK medicare for all and the medical industry reforms that entails!".

Wouldn't that just put a big assed wrench in the DNC's plans?

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35673 on: March 19, 2020, 08:42:38 am »

Even if Biden is winning.  His best bet is to focus on courting the Bernie Bro votes, as in convincing them to come out and vote on election day. 
There is only so much traction you can gain by glossing over policy and yelling, "But, Trump!"
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #35674 on: March 19, 2020, 09:12:23 am »

Apparently, it is enough traction to get to this point.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #35675 on: March 19, 2020, 09:13:22 am »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/18/politics/democratic-primary-bernie-sanders/index.html

Sanders actually has a sense of priorities, to the chagrin of reporters.  Dares to use the F bomb.

When asked about the difference between 2016 and 2020, McAuliffe said, "Here is the big difference: Donald Trump."

Do these people *literally* have worms in their brains?
Giving what little credit is due, I guess they mean four years of absolute certainty in what trump entails as a POTUS, versus the theoretically unknown state of things in 2016. Then, trump had no political history, just business, and people could and did brush that off with a "things can change once in office". Now? Now is, in fact, different on that front.

But yeah, anyway, bernie's been fukkin' rekt. Again. Biden could lose every state left in the primary by like ten points, and still be ahead in delegates, at this point. Folks like bernie's ideas, but they don't seem particularly fond of him. Which I guess shouldn't be a surprise at this point. Dude seriously should have just not ran and campaigned hard for someone younger/more likeable. Hopefully it won't have knock-on effects for 24 or 28 and we can fucking finally get a decent bleeding edge left-winger in office.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #35676 on: March 19, 2020, 09:24:52 am »

You're never going to get someone on the left in office so long as the Democratic Party still exists. They have no reason to live if they can't defend against the left while ceding to the right. It is the only thing that keeps them awake at night.

Bernie's campaign was as close to perfect as a left campaign could realistically hope for. But boomers are gonna boom no matter what happens, and making sure Trump stays in office is more important to them than anything else, whether they support him or oppose him.

Hence you get Joe Biden, rapist, segregationist, and woke progressive who totally believes all the same things Bernie does guys what's wrong come on we have to unite to beat drumph
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35677 on: March 19, 2020, 09:56:41 am »

Even if Biden is winning.  His best bet is to focus on courting the Bernie Bro votes, as in convincing them to come out and vote on election day. 
There is only so much traction you can gain by glossing over policy and yelling, "But, Trump!"

Yeah, if his brain worked he might do that.

Instead, he threatens people, tells them to vote for Trump if they don't like concentration camps (I'm not sure either of them is a good choice there), says women need to shut up, fights to end abortions, tells environmentalists to fuck off, and will win the nomination because he's keeping the banks and credit card companies happy. I haven't seen him supporting segregation in a while, but that might be because he already lost that fight.

Even the Republicans, even pill addicted asshole Donald goddamn Trump, are more willing to work with the left than the Democrats.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35678 on: March 19, 2020, 10:10:18 am »

Apparently, it is enough traction to get to this point.
Defeating a primary opponent doesn't necessarily mean the winner will absorb all the powers of the loser. 
It takes some effort if you want to utilize more of the powers of the defeated.  Especially if the base of those powers are fundamentally different from yours.

EDIT: There can only be one.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 10:13:06 am by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #35679 on: March 19, 2020, 10:50:47 am »

You're never going to get someone on the left in office so long as the Democratic Party still exists. They have no reason to live if they can't defend against the left while ceding to the right. It is the only thing that keeps them awake at night.

Bernie's campaign was as close to perfect as a left campaign could realistically hope for. But boomers are gonna boom no matter what happens, and making sure Trump stays in office is more important to them than anything else, whether they support him or oppose him.

Hence you get Joe Biden, rapist, segregationist, and woke progressive who totally believes all the same things Bernie does guys what's wrong come on we have to unite to beat drumph

Agreed.  The issue with Democrats is trust.  After the past 16 years of abuse and gaslighting, the label just doesn't inspire it.  Bernie's strength with the left was based on his consistent political history.  There's no one else out there right now, so far as I'm aware, who will be able to step up with that same strength as a Democrat in 2024.  Unless there's some complete unknown lurking out there who's managed to build up an easily verifiable political history of demonstrated integrity without ever becoming high profile.  We've got some who are working on that, but none who will be presidential material for a couple more cycles at least.  Millennials and Zoomers understand quite well at this point that language and platforms are basically meaningless.  I'm trying to imagine how another Obama phenomenon could happen.  Someone who shows up seemingly out of nowhere and inspires by language and platform.  And I just can't.  The more I think about it, the Democrats have really fucked themselves.  Unless the incumbent pendulum cycle is truly the strongest force in politics, I can't see them getting the presidency again for a while.  Not unless there's some incredible bloodbath reckoning within the party.

And no, it's not going to be Warren.

But who knows what the Great Annihilation will bring.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35680 on: March 19, 2020, 12:24:18 pm »

And no, it's not going to be Warren.

That won't stop people who base their politics on Harry Potter and fear of change instead of actual issues from trying.

Ocasio-Cortez will be 35 in time for the next election. While she obviously has less of a political history than everyone else, at least it's consistently positive.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #35681 on: March 19, 2020, 04:31:24 pm »

Meanwhile, Tulsi has dropped out.
Endorsed Biden.
Guess she got tired of waiting around
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35682 on: March 19, 2020, 09:10:20 pm »

Meanwhile, Tulsi has dropped out.
Endorsed Biden.
Guess she got tired of waiting around

I'll admit, there's a small part of me that feels this fits in with the whole 'Russian sleeper agent to ruin the primary' rumor that went around a while back. Though one could probably say the same from a different angle if she picked Sanders.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #35683 on: March 19, 2020, 09:16:42 pm »

Hell, she did endorse sanders last time, iirc. So you could say that, but I'm not quite sure what the takeaway there is :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #35684 on: March 20, 2020, 02:18:42 am »

I'll admit, there's a small part of me that feels this fits in with the whole 'Russian sleeper agent to ruin the primary' rumor that went around a while back. Though one could probably say the same from a different angle if she picked Sanders.

Wasn't the rumor (as spread by Hillary) that Tulsi was going to run 3rd party to steal Democrat votes? Supporting front-runner Biden is the least controversial thing she could do.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 02:21:24 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?
Pages: 1 ... 2377 2378 [2379] 2380 2381 ... 3566