Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2371 2372 [2373] 2374 2375 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4202173 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #35580 on: March 16, 2020, 01:51:29 pm »

Ted Cruz also had that thing about term limits.

Maybe Trump was the face in the mirror that shocked some people around and made them vow to change their ways before they got that bad?

...nah, probably just a few of these people being actual people now and again and not just cartoon villains. Honestly, the Mormons I've known have been extremely generous and helpful towards their communities.

Batshit crazy, but generous and helpful.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35581 on: March 16, 2020, 02:00:39 pm »

I don't personally want this to happen, but I'd definitely get a little bit of joy watching everyone fucking explode if Biden were to pick Romney as VP.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #35582 on: March 16, 2020, 02:03:28 pm »

There's been some other GOP congresscritter saying the house bill intended to maybe reduce the extent people get hyperfucked for catching or trying to avoid spreading the plague wasn't going far enough, too.

If I didn't know better I'd think some of them are starting to care about not dying or watching their parents/grandparents/whatever die to an uncontrolled pandemic. Maybe someone's showed them a venn diagram of their voter base and at-risk patients or somethin'. It'd be a new thing for GOP officials to give a fuck about the population keeling over dead, really.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #35583 on: March 16, 2020, 02:11:36 pm »

I don't personally want this to happen, but I'd definitely get a little bit of joy watching everyone fucking explode if Biden were to pick Romney as VP.
When was the last time the line-up was bipartisan? Pre-12th amendment?
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35584 on: March 16, 2020, 02:20:34 pm »

When was the last time the line-up was bipartisan? Pre-12th amendment?

Abraham Lincoln's second term had him as a Republican and his VP Andrew Johnson, a Democrat.

Apparently it's an idea that comes up every once in a while. McCain apparently even considered Joe Lieberman as a VP for his run in 2008 before settling on Palin.

Not that I expect it at all, but it honestly might not be the worst thing to try to reset the partisanship of the country and get things back into a state where people can work together on things rather than just have to outright fight anything anyone from the other party attempts. It probably wouldn't work out that way in practice, but that's more or less the reason Lincoln did it.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 02:22:34 pm by sluissa »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #35585 on: March 16, 2020, 02:22:45 pm »

Abraham Lincoln's second term had him as Union Party and his VP Andrew Johnson, Union Party

Technically, a new party was created for that specific election.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35586 on: March 16, 2020, 02:32:01 pm »

Abraham Lincoln's second term had him as Union Party and his VP Andrew Johnson, Union Party

Technically, a new party was created for that specific election.

And everyone knew what was going on, but the name change was just so hyper partisan people could save face.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #35587 on: March 16, 2020, 03:12:03 pm »

Oh hey, did we hit the second circuit breaker? Least I'm seeing chatter that people predicting trump opening his mouth to crater stocks were right on the money.
Ask not!
Ask!

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #35588 on: March 16, 2020, 03:17:18 pm »

market closed down 12.93%, worse than the crash of 1929.
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35589 on: March 16, 2020, 03:21:23 pm »

...nah, probably just a few of these people being actual people now and again and not just cartoon villains. Honestly, the Mormons I've known have been extremely generous and helpful towards their communities.

As long as they aren't non-white, gay, or against pedophilia, yeah.

Biden hasn't been particularly understanding to people as far left as Romney lately.

Edit: someone doing a breakdown of the Families First bill. https://twitter.com/dubsteppenwolf/status/1238988348426989569
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 05:05:48 pm by Iduno »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #35590 on: March 16, 2020, 04:44:13 pm »

Oh hey, did we hit the second circuit breaker? Least I'm seeing chatter that people predicting trump opening his mouth to crater stocks were right on the money.
Nope, they came close right after the first breaker, but recovered steadily through the day only to crash out to about where they were after the first breaker.

The breakers seem effective at arresting total freefall, but unlike the first two times there were massive drops after the first breaker today. If that trend continues, I see a second breaker trip. After that it'll probably be descent into the Great Annihilation and thus possibly the third breaker.

Some individual stocks are reaching that level. Like Boeing. Boeing, who closed at -23.8% today. Some people are saying it's an absolute steal of a stock buy, but looking at that trend I think Boeing will either fail or be nationalized instead.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35591 on: March 16, 2020, 06:26:34 pm »

"SpaceX Acquires Entire Aerospace Industry for 2 Dollars 53 Cents
 Elon Musk to Leave 'This Dirthole,' Wishes 'Good Luck'"
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35592 on: March 17, 2020, 04:16:15 am »

Andrew Yang MITT ROMNEY has been advocating for the government to give $1000 to each adult to assist them during the Coronavirus outbreak.

HUH?!?
With a small loan of $1000 anyone can survive Covid-19
Really though I'm more impressed than I was by his partial impeachment support.  It's interesting seeing how a Republican with conviction behaves after forsaking the party's draconian unity.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #35593 on: March 17, 2020, 07:11:29 am »

Mittens is not a republican with conviction, though. He just really fucking hates trump and isn't worried about his constituency punishing him for it.
Ask not!
Ask!

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #35594 on: March 17, 2020, 07:14:05 am »

Bain?
A lotta loyalty for an elected official!
Crashing this party...with no survivors!
Nobody cared who he was until he put on the vote
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*
Pages: 1 ... 2371 2372 [2373] 2374 2375 ... 3566