Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2370 2371 [2372] 2373 2374 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4202025 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #35565 on: March 15, 2020, 11:52:44 pm »

Jury nullification isn't kind of legal precept, it's just something that logically can't be made illegal in a jury system. And it protects the genuinely guilty as much as it could protect those persecuted by the state. Moreso even, since all the worst attitudes are in-line with the state's behavior and more noble uses are likely to be rejected by dumbasses who believe in the system.

There is no analogue in American law to what martinuzz is talking about. I'm not sure if there's even an analogue to that outside the Netherlands period - "convict but don't punish" is something I've only ever heard of in the context of Dutch law. It's not an attitude you'll see among American judges. For them, not submitting to a plea deal and actually being convicted in trial is justification to punish people all the harder. The closest thing you see to this is if the accused couldn't pay bail and was stuck in prison for years before being convicted of something relatively minor, in which case their sentence might be overlapped by time served and see them freed at the time of conviction. Though plenty of judges would just give a term that they know significantly outstrips the time served to ensure they stay in prison.

You will not get leniency in an American court if you aren't rich, especially since you need a lawyer who knows to invoke most of your legal rights in the correct way. You can get away with not being white if you're rich, but only just. If you're not rich or white, the fact that you made it to trial alive puts you above a lot of other people, even though you are probably going to get the maximum allowed punishment.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35566 on: March 16, 2020, 12:04:51 am »

Yea after doing a more recent look yea it's not really a thing in itself more the jury can choose whatever they want and it does not have to actually be a logical choice they can't be punished for choosing wrong.

I guess if you think about it Donald trump's impeachment was basically a jury nullification.  They know he did those things, the evidence was overwhelming, but they voted not guilty anyway, because there is no 'wrong' choice in the eyes of the law.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 12:06:22 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35567 on: March 16, 2020, 05:57:06 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 12:24:26 pm by dragdeler »
let

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35568 on: March 16, 2020, 06:07:45 am »

Impeachment isn't a legal matter, it's a political one, but yeah they are all guilty and complicit except mittens who is only half complicit and now it seems he was never a republican at all, certainly not their presidential nominee before drumpfuck.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35569 on: March 16, 2020, 08:19:12 am »

If the south hadn't fallen for the red scare tactics used against Bernie and voted for a racist old republican to be the Democratic nominee, then maybe this would be a period of awakening that could possibly lead to the US having proper public healthcare, services, and employment rights.

It still may be, but I do not trust Biden to do any better than Trump on facing the coronavirus. He's still Candidate No-M4A.
What does No-M4A mean?
Biden is generally against Medicare for All.

Also, abortion, social security, races mixing, the environment existing, wars ending...

Biden said outright that even if Congress passed Medicare For All, he'd veto it. I'm sure he'll have the close consideration of our insurance industry leaders on any..."expansions".
Okay but when did he say that-
Oh
Five days ago
Despite, like, the unchecked pathogen.  Unchecked because people with symptoms largely can't afford the luxury of being tested.
I'm going to hate voting for this guy.  He has improved a lot, but he's still not the best.
But I guess he's the best we're getting.  Sorry, I'm kinda angry.

When you vote for the lesser of two evils (possibly, but we'll make that assumption for now), you only set the minimum for the amount of evil next time.

Yes, like this. Salmon's got my ideas and enough sleep to make them coherent.

How can there be a compromise between the green new deal and both Biden and Trump sticking the finger up and being antagonistically excited about doing nothing?

"First, I must confess that over the last few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season."

MLK.

The whole letter from a Birmingham jail is a good read.

When you are electing one single person for the entirety of a nation... no you can't expect them to represent your interests as much when you're significantly the minority faction, being bluntly realistic. Will there be a democratic nominee who mostly represents the left flank of the party? Not for a while, considering Bernie is currently getting crushed.

If we were actually that much of a minority, then I'd be more sympathetic to your point.  But we're talking like 70-80% of voters under 40.
Bruv, if that were true we'd be dealing with a very different situation. Busters are currently polling at like 4-6% of supporters, not under 40s. Turnout depression's probably higher than that, but it's not anywhere near 70-80% of voters. Most of us under 40 folks are not happy but we're still damn sure going to vote and probably vote blue. Bloomshit or gabbard might have been a bridge too far on that front, but biden just... isn't. As near as we can tell right now. That might change in a future election, when someone closer to AOC runs against someone what isn't trump, but it's pretty damn unlikely to be this one, for better or worse.

Voter turnout has been the highest ever (?) this year. Among both old and young. It's just that there are a lot of old people trying to make sure the youth (their children and grandchildren) don't live to old age.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #35570 on: March 16, 2020, 08:44:26 am »

The first of three market stops was met at opening today, with more than -7% to the S&P.

The second stop occurs at -13%, and the final one which closes the market entirely at -20%.

Tastes like annihilation.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35571 on: March 16, 2020, 08:59:25 am »

The first of three market stops was met at opening today, with more than -7% to the S&P.

The second stop occurs at -13%, and the final one which closes the market entirely at -20%.

Tastes like annihilation.

Good news, everybody. We through threw a pile of taxpayer money at the problem, and it temporarily helped. But because it was only helping rich people, we didn't have to answer questions like "how are we going to pay for it?".

Edit: illiteracy.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 11:52:57 am by Iduno »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #35572 on: March 16, 2020, 09:06:22 am »

Eh, technically we sorta' didn't -- the liquidity injection didn't so much spend money as move numbers around on spreadsheets, iirc -- but it damn sure looked like it from a distance so I don't know if that actually matters.

In any case, it seems to be sorta' in a seismograph holding pattern jittering around -10% like someone on a deadly mix of uppers. Next question is what craters it next. Chatter I've been seeing is guessing the shitgibbon in chief tweets something extra stupid to undermine what little investor confidence is left, ah ha ha.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #35573 on: March 16, 2020, 09:48:41 am »

All that liquidity doesn't mean much if swaths of consumers end up being locked in their houses for extended periods of time.
Right now, though, the index is trying to claw its way out of the morning hole.
Have we hit bottom? I doubt it: shits gonna get way worse. Still time to short, me thinks

What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35574 on: March 16, 2020, 09:51:49 am »

I'm expecting a protracted and slower decline in the coming months and maybe year as the economic effects start to propagate.  Lots of companies are in a lot of debt because debt was so cheap, and they're going to find themselves in a really tough spot because of decreased consumer spending.  There may be a lot of bankruptcies on the horizon.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #35575 on: March 16, 2020, 01:16:00 pm »

Andrew Yang MITT ROMNEY has been advocating for the government to give $1000 to each adult to assist them during the Coronavirus outbreak.

HUH?!?
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35576 on: March 16, 2020, 01:17:20 pm »

Andrew Yang MITT ROMNEY has been advocating for the government to give $1000 to each adult to assist them during the Coronavirus outbreak.

HUH?!?

dude that's unreasonable.

now time to give more trillions to the dying stock market
Wasteland 1 & 2
"Power Couple: Markus Athing & Cyborg 45"

Makes me curious, can cyborgs have future babies too?
On the offchance they can, I know who I want my daddy to be
(finished)Age of Decadence

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #35577 on: March 16, 2020, 01:17:31 pm »

That... is not something I ever thought would be a possibility.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35578 on: March 16, 2020, 01:41:23 pm »

First actually voting for removal of trump and now this

is mittens secretly the hero of this story
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #35579 on: March 16, 2020, 01:49:07 pm »

First actually voting for removal of trump and now this

is mittens secretly the hero of this story
He "pioneered" Romneycare, clearly a secret dark horse rising from the ashes like a Phoenician bat out of hell.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.
Pages: 1 ... 2370 2371 [2372] 2373 2374 ... 3566