Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2340 2341 [2342] 2343 2344 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4196766 times)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #35115 on: March 03, 2020, 09:28:56 pm »

Man, watching the stagnation and rot of my country in real time is pretty draining :/

edit: This is more a general "bleh" feeling about the US politics in general, not about any particular candidate or even the primary.
Look on the bright side, if the country falls, the states could split into smaller countries. Maybe that will be better than our current situation? IDK, only guessing, random thoughts. Larger countries tend to be more difficult to run. Unfortunately it probably won't work out this way though, more likely it will simply be large companies directly running the country, stopping the masquarade of a government...what of the military? Will our country turn into a military dictatorship? Yeah, thinking about this there really isn't much of a bright side. I sometimes worry if criticizing America is allowed. I fear people who criticize the country may be called terrorists and executed. I just don't think the USA is number 1 in everything. I think there are lots of things that need to be improved, but can't be improved under the current government. I worry we are on a slope to more overt plutocracy, not that we aren't already there, but still. I worry about a lot of things. I worry about falling into a dictatorship. I worry that without change, we already fail, I worry that many think its too late to attempt change, meaning there are less wo attempt it, I worry that too many think they need to act alone when they can act as a group. I don't want violence, but unfortunately there aren't many examples of peaceful revolutions.

Cthulufaic

• Bay Watcher
  • whats a touhou
    • View Profile
« Reply #35116 on: March 03, 2020, 09:41:11 pm »

snip
snap

I'm not really worried about any of that, considering I'm gonna emigrate no matter what.  It's just draining to see people ignore the root problems causing this.
However I will admit that I feel immense schadenfreude at the thought that the collective American hubris, large enough to blot out the sun at this point, might finally come back to bite the US.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35117 on: March 03, 2020, 10:16:37 pm »

Can somebody reasonably explain how that confused and doddering old corpse Biden has managed to win so many states so handily?

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35118 on: March 03, 2020, 10:19:14 pm »

Can somebody reasonably explain how that confused and doddering old corpse Biden has managed to win so many states so handily?

Imagine that picture of the kid sticking a branch into the wheel of his moving bicycle so he falls over, and then he blames his misery on republicans.

Seriously, its like they want to lose.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Cthulufaic

• Bay Watcher
  • whats a touhou
    • View Profile
« Reply #35119 on: March 03, 2020, 10:20:46 pm »

People love their status-quo and are afraid of change.  Also a lot of the southern states might as well have had his name written on them, so its not a big surprise he won those.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 10:23:17 pm by Cthulufaic »

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35120 on: March 03, 2020, 10:40:54 pm »

His name has the fewest letters to remember. Sticks in the mind of us simple country folk easier when it comes time to mark that fancy paper.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35121 on: March 03, 2020, 10:45:35 pm »

My parents are scared of Sanders in some primal way they've failed to communicate.  I thought I knew them better than this, but they kept this choice hidden until a few days ago.  (impressive since they haven't talked to each other in years)

I'd understand them (well, mom) going for Biden - I may have done the same 4 years ago.  But Bloomberg?
How does anyone listen to that much Neil Young, or believe in ineffable forest spirits, or hold what I thought was limitless respect for the decency of all humans regardless of wealth... (he, she, both)

And then they go and do this?  They raised me better, I'm at a loss.  And again, they did it independently.

To at least try to answer you, wierd:  Buttigieg has a lot of people who may have followed Sanders, except that Buttigieg painted Sanders as an extremist on par with Bloomberg or Trump.  His endorsement of Biden sent a lot of potential progressives firmly into the arms of the Liberal establishment.

Also, black voters are demographically supporting Biden over Sanders despite the last 4 years.  Certain people simplify this to an Obama thing, but 538 had an interesting take that black voters are used to voting pragmatically.  "Electability" is seemingly *the* issue for this election, and Biden seems more electable to many.

I may be biased since my friend group of utterly disenchanted millennials will vote for Trump's "anti establishment burn-everything" over another DNC pick - only Sanders offers them hope at all.  They don't even like Warren, which I think is... telling, but whatever.  They are the actual Bernie Bros, I guess.  Almost entirely disengaged, consuming a wild arrangement of conspiracy theories (from Coronavirus to Alex Jones) and utterly without faith in our leadership.  Broken.

Whereas I don't know if I'll vote for Biden over Trump.  I might.  But if the DNC superdelegates force it, then I too will literally watch the world burn for their hubris.  Doesn't really matter what I choose at that point, so I might as well vote third party and stock up on liquor.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35122 on: March 03, 2020, 10:50:04 pm »

I think a big mac has a better chance of beating trump than biden does.

At least the sandvich might shave off a year of his life.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35123 on: March 03, 2020, 11:06:57 pm »

What are we looking at in terms of delegates with Sanders vs. Biden?  Assume Sanders wins Texas and California.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #35124 on: March 03, 2020, 11:13:53 pm »

Ask in a day or two when we actually have counts instead of assumptions? Might help, I'unno.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35125 on: March 03, 2020, 11:15:11 pm »

I was just wondering whether Sanders can catch up or if Biden is definitely the nominee.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #35126 on: March 03, 2020, 11:19:58 pm »

I mean, it literally depends on how things actually fall out from the delegate results. Things are fairly up in the air as far as I'm currently aware, though.

E: though if biden's decisively won texas or somethin' sanders is probably pretty done, yeah. Ask again once the official delegate count shows up.

E2: Will say though, if there's any good news it's that it's looking like bloomshit's just getting kinda' crushed. Warms the cockles of the heart of the second stomach I have for wanting to eat the rich, it does.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 12:27:02 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35127 on: March 04, 2020, 02:07:05 am »

Sanders appears to have lost texas, but won Cali.

https://www.politico.com/2020-election/results/super-tuesday/

I am just gut-instinct finding these numbers strange, is all.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #35128 on: March 04, 2020, 02:48:36 am »

I guess getting Buttigieg and Klobuchar to drop out was the right strategy.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35129 on: March 04, 2020, 02:59:53 am »

The establishment is willing to do anything to stop sanders, it would seem.  I need to be careful, because that way lies conspiracy theory land, but all the same--

I really want to see Sanders pick up every other state now, and head to the convention with 51% of the delegates. Just enough that they have to give him the nomination for having majority.
Pages: 1 ... 2340 2341 [2342] 2343 2344 ... 3566