Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2309 2310 [2311] 2312 2313 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4204725 times)

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #34650 on: February 07, 2020, 08:41:33 pm »

The EC and the senate were from the beginning a strictly political hack job put in place as a compromise to appease certain parties, mostly with respect to preserving slavery. Later when new states were admitted, the boundaries of the new states and the timing of when they were admitted was likewise driven almost entirely by immediate politics to pack the senate and EC (again, also driven largely by the politics of preserving slavery pre-civil war).

These after-the-fact justifications about "tyranny of the majority" or whatever are tales made up by modern Republicans (or whichever party benefits from the flaws at the time) to justify their ability to stay in power without having to modify their platform to stay popular. You know, that whole "accountability" nonsense that this stupid democracy thing is supposed to provide.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #34651 on: February 07, 2020, 09:46:54 pm »

Trump claims Pelosi ripping speech was 'illegal'

I want to say that this is the absolute height of hypocrisy, but at this point I have little doubt that he'll find some way to sink to a new low before the end of the week.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34652 on: February 07, 2020, 09:53:29 pm »

You mean like firing Lt. Col. Vindman after the acquittal?

What even is retaliation, anyway?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34653 on: February 07, 2020, 10:14:10 pm »

You mean like firing Lt. Col. Vindman after the acquittal?

What even is retaliation, anyway?
When you also fire his twin brother?

Also wow, just wow...  Keep in mind that Trump ranted like a child yesterday, and called the investigation "bullshit", and yet people are calling on the woman to have some decorum.  Naturally.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34654 on: February 07, 2020, 10:20:39 pm »

I am curious how long it will take for a revolution group to form. More likely several, with independent visions for the country union of states.  When they form, when the government collapses (no government lasts forever) the country will cease to be. Borders will change. Deaths are likely to occur. How badly does a country need to mess up before people decide to run things themselves?

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34655 on: February 07, 2020, 10:30:46 pm »

I am curious how long it will take for a revolution group to form. More likely several, with independent visions for the country union of states.  When they form, when the government collapses (no government lasts forever) the country will cease to be. Borders will change. Deaths are likely to occur. How badly does a country need to mess up before people decide to run things themselves?

There is bread, and there are circuses.

Take those away, and the average man will change something.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34656 on: February 07, 2020, 11:33:20 pm »

How badly does a country need to mess up before people decide to run things themselves?

Well, most of the more potentially revolutionary elements have skipped straight to telling nobody in particular that they always said this would happen, it just goes to show, and only perfect obedience to their particular manifesto will avert apocalypse. If only chanting "I told you so" and bickering over minutiae changed anything, we'd have your revolution overnight, but it would appear that worse oppression just makes them more particular until they finally decide nobody else but them is worth debating and lock themselves out of any possibility of change.

Your revolutionaries are already dead, Naturegirl, each proudly alone on one of a million different hills. It remains only for their bodies to catch up to their minds.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 11:40:23 pm by Trekkin »

Andux

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:semicolons]
    • View Profile
    • Andux's DFWiki page
« Reply #34657 on: February 08, 2020, 12:11:34 am »

"You see," my colleague went on, "one doesn't see exactly where or how to move. Believe me, this is true. Each act, each occasion, is worse than the last, but only a little worse. You wait for the next and the next. You wait for one great shocking occasion, thinking that others, when such a shock comes, will join with you in resisting somehow. You don't want to act, or even talk, alone; you don't want to ‘go out of your way to make trouble.’ Why not?—Well, you are not in the habit of doing it. And it is not just fear, fear of standing alone, that restrains you; it is also genuine uncertainty.

[...]

"But the one great shocking occasion, when tens or hundreds or thousands will join with you, never comes. That’s the difficulty. If the last and worst act of the whole regime had come immediately after the first and smallest, thousands, yes, millions would have been sufficiently shocked—if, let us say, the gassing of the Jews in ’43 had come immediately after the ‘German Firm’ stickers on the windows of non-Jewish shops in ’33. But of course this isn’t the way it happens. In between come all the hundreds of little steps, some of them imperceptible, each of them preparing you not to be shocked by the next. Step C is not so much worse than Step B, and, if you did not make a stand at Step B, why should you at Step C? And so on to Step D.
(Do not sign anything.) -- Fell, Planescape: Torment

MADMAN · Save Tools · WTF Tools · Generated Raws Extractor · Tweak for 0.31–34.xx

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34658 on: February 08, 2020, 03:01:57 am »

There is bread, and there are circuses.

Take those away, and the average man will change something.

But that's the beauty of the system they set up. The government isn't responsible for delivering either of those things. There's a thing call looting, that people will do well before they decide to fight the government. The government is too well armed, and additionally, the government doesn't have food stores for you to loot. Well before you get anti-government revolution over food availability, you'll get looting of Walmarts.

Also, history isn't on your side. For people to mass revolt against an oppressive government, you have to look at the vast history of oppressive governments and note how meager the number of mass revolts have been. It'd have to be worse than living in the majority of dictatorships throughout history for people to get to that point.

"but when the food stops being delivered to the cities, then you'll see" seems to be the argument. but this just isn't going to happen.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 03:15:28 am by Reelya »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34659 on: February 08, 2020, 04:54:19 am »

Oh Slate-- you and your fearmongering choice of words.

https://donotlink.it/7MLQr

(per suggestion, link wrapped in a redirector to avoid promotion via pagerank, due to being shameless crankbait)

I love how your hyperlink for this article is completely benign, but your headline in the article itself is inflammatory crank-bait.  How much did Warren's "Team-Clinton" staffers pay you for this assassination piece, eh?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 08:48:28 am by wierd »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #34660 on: February 08, 2020, 08:25:30 am »

Yes, yes, the response to rabid crankbait is to feed them clicks and then help other people feed them clicks. This is the way to show them, reward the shits for churning out manufactured conflict, yes. Good job :-\
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34661 on: February 08, 2020, 08:36:21 am »

True enough I suppose.

The reason for providing the link, was more for the purposes of substantiating the claim that Slate was producing crankbait. (QED). Not to punish Slate for producing it.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34662 on: February 08, 2020, 08:39:24 am »

https://donotlink.it/

Lets you link sites without contributing to their search ranking!

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34663 on: February 08, 2020, 08:47:42 am »

And people who berate other people for linking things without using those services are annoying and I tend to link even more of that sort of content to spite them.

Here, have some clickbait.
https://www.vox.com/future-perfect/2020/2/6/21126419/eggs-just-sodexo-plant-based-protein

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #34664 on: February 08, 2020, 09:10:57 am »

Fun fact: Voted Food Fraud of the Year 2019 in Sweden was Alpro Cuisine soy cream for barely containing any soy, just palm oil
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 2309 2310 [2311] 2312 2313 ... 3566