Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2307 2308 [2309] 2310 2311 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4206202 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #34620 on: February 07, 2020, 06:31:29 am »

I, for one, welcome our Warhammer 40K hellscape.
Basically the same aesthetic but with more orange

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34621 on: February 07, 2020, 07:23:06 am »

Maybe one day, Trump will declare himself El Presidente for life or just suspend elections.  With thunderous applause.

That does seem to be the plan...
https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1225174713992990721

That doesn't even make any sense, he's already an old-ass man, he wouldn't even be able to survive for that much longer. Or atleast not comfortably.

I'll always be confused why anyone would even WANT to clutch onto a seat of power. Besides catering to your own ego, you make endless problems for yourself, and make yourself a huge target.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #34622 on: February 07, 2020, 07:51:14 am »

Maybe one day, Trump will declare himself El Presidente for life or just suspend elections.  With thunderous applause.

That does seem to be the plan...
https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1225174713992990721

That doesn't even make any sense, he's already an old-ass man, he wouldn't even be able to survive for that much longer. Or atleast not comfortably.

I'll always be confused why anyone would even WANT to clutch onto a seat of power. Besides catering to your own ego, you make endless problems for yourself, and make yourself a huge target.

Trump is vain. I imagine he would pass the seat of power on to his children if he could.

I also suspect part of the impeachment thing was because he goes down in history as being impeached, which will taint his legacy, which is obviously the best legacy of any world leader ever.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #34623 on: February 07, 2020, 07:52:06 am »

Again, and I feel this needs emphasis: Buttigieg didn't win Iowa. The SDEs are a meaningless metric for anything but the state party conference. Bernie and him got the same number of delegates, and Bernie got thousands more votes in both rounds. The media has selected SDEs as their metric for victory for a reason, to manufacture consent for this ghoul now that Biden is going down in flames. All of this is without even getting into the massive electoral corruption that was conducted throughout the state, no surprises who for.

Say it clear and open, because it's the truth: Bernie won.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #34624 on: February 07, 2020, 08:25:27 am »

And pete wildly overperformed, unfortunately. Bernie winning is a lot less impressive when it's alongside nearly tying or losing to the blighter. Hopefully the next few primary things go better for sanders (or warren, who only came third, but still beat biden, and didn't have pete's shady looking shit or bernie's contributions to making the caucus such a shitshow by pushing for rules changes), or a least continue going poorly for biden and not continue this instance of mayor "faked black endorsements" performing well.

Though so far as the SDEs go, the emphasis there mostly just seems like consistency. They've usually been the focus of reporting, iirc, and are of similar importance as the shitty electoral college. It's less some kind of deliberate consent manufacturing or whatever ("nearly matched sanders in popular vote out of nowhere" would have done that just fine) and more just laziness or habit.

I've heard the head of the DNC is calling for recount, but was refused or something. Still not clear on that part.

The DNC seems determined to not just shoot themselves in the foot, but blow their legs clean off.
One thing to remember about the iowa mess is that the DNC doesn't actually have much control over it. 90+% of the failures causing this shitstorm has been the fault of the state IDP, of which the DNC has little to no meaningful control over, especially when it comes to the actual implementation of the caucus. They can make suggestions and whatnot, and theoretically refuse delegates or whatev', but most of the primary running stuff is more or less entirely devolved/state run. The national party just doesn't have genuine control.

As much as folks seem to want to blame them, the DNC itself is just pretty blameless for this debacle. Fault here is on Iowa's population, the local IDP, and their collective insistence on running fuckstupid caucus horseshit.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34625 on: February 07, 2020, 08:43:58 am »

And that's pretty much bullshit. I won't say it was done perfectly. There were balls dropped. But that part specifically was bullshit. It is the constitutional duty of congress to manage impeachment. The courts are specifically left out of it (excepting the chief justice's role) because the courts are directly chosen by the president and judges are also subject to impeachment. It's also established precedent that the courts do NOT get involved in questions of congressional subpoenas. Congress would have been within their rights to send the sergeant at arms to arrest people who did not comply with relevant subpoenas that were approved by a full chamber vote.

The Judicial Branch gets to rule on constitutionality and mediate conflicts between the Legislative and Executive. The President's judges have to be confirmed by the Senate, and can only be impeached by Congress. Federal judges aren't beholden to the President after confirmation.

Once executive privilege is asserted, coequal branches of the Government are set on a collision course. The Judiciary is forced into the difficult task of balancing the need for information in a judicial proceeding and the Executive's Article II prerogatives. This inquiry places courts in the awkward position of evaluating the Executive's claims of confidentiality and autonomy, and pushes to the fore difficult questions of separation of powers and checks and balances. These 'occasion[s] for constitutional confrontation between the two branches' are likely to be avoided whenever possible.

And executive privilege was never asserted. And if it was it would have had to have been on something specific, not just the entirety of "You're not allowed to talk to this man at all."

Nothing else you said is an argument.

Again, and I feel this needs emphasis: Buttigieg didn't win Iowa. The SDEs are a meaningless metric for anything but the state party conference. Bernie and him got the same number of delegates, and Bernie got thousands more votes in both rounds. The media has selected SDEs as their metric for victory for a reason, to manufacture consent for this ghoul now that Biden is going down in flames. All of this is without even getting into the massive electoral corruption that was conducted throughout the state, no surprises who for.

Say it clear and open, because it's the truth: Bernie won.

And Clinton won in 2016, but I don't see her in the White House. Our system isn't set up so that the person with the most votes always wins. Get over it.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 09:03:21 am by sluissa »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #34626 on: February 07, 2020, 09:53:05 am »

"Republic not a democracy" sluissa? Really?

This isn't the electoral college. The undemocratic thing here is in how national delegates are proportioned, and also the straight-up vote changing. The SDEs remain irrelevant, at least until corporate media decides that they're all that matters.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34627 on: February 07, 2020, 10:16:52 am »

Get over it.

Fuck off with this sentiment. This country has a record of, when being told "this is the way it be, get over it", fixing the issue.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34628 on: February 07, 2020, 10:43:49 am »

or a least continue going poorly for biden and not continue this instance of mayor "faked black endorsements" performing well.

I think that was just Scarlet Johansson.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34629 on: February 07, 2020, 10:53:31 am »

Get over it.

Fuck off with this sentiment. This country has a record of, when being told "this is the way it be, get over it", fixing the issue.

I don't see that working against Trump. You can get angry at me if you want, but reality doesn't change just because of wishful thinking.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34630 on: February 07, 2020, 10:55:23 am »

Get over it.

I don't see that working against Trump. You can get angry at me if you want, but reality doesn't change just because of wishful thinking.
But you can support efforts to reform/remove the electoral college.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34631 on: February 07, 2020, 11:36:34 am »

Get over it.

But you can support efforts to reform/remove the electoral college.

And I, with some hesitation about the form it would take or how much better it would be in practice, do. But, it doesn't change the system as it stands, nor is it at all likely to for this election cycle. See a repeat of 2016 where popular and electoral votes don't line up, and I wouldn't be surprised if it changed for 2024, but it's what we've got for the moment.

Reality is reality. You're going for wishful thinking again.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34632 on: February 07, 2020, 11:50:48 am »

Imagine if they had said so before the French revolution. Would we still have a Sun King?

Laws of nature are fixed and better accepted as reality. Voting laws are anything but fixed. They are agreements between people; no more and no less. They can be changed.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34633 on: February 07, 2020, 12:01:53 pm »

Bernie may have won Iowa in 2020, but I don't see him in the White Palace. Our system isn't set up so that His Most Christian Majesty Donald XVII, 61st President of the United States of America and Protector of Greater Alphabet-Amazon-Disney-Walmart need concern Himself with such trifles. Get over it.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34634 on: February 07, 2020, 12:15:39 pm »

Imagine if they had said so before the French revolution. Would we still have a Sun King?

Laws of nature are fixed and better accepted as reality. Voting laws are anything but fixed. They are agreements between people; no more and no less. They can be changed.

Go ahead, try to get a 200+ year old institution of the country, and established constitutional law changed in 9 months. Go ahead. I'll sign whatever petition you want me to. Get it put on a ballot, I'll vote for it. Get it brought up for discussion in any sort of legislative body I'm a constituent of, and I'll write a letter or make a phone call in support of it. I know I'm not the only one I'm sure you could get plenty of support for it. There's already even a head start with the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact, but even that's extremely controversial and subject to all sorts of legal challenges.

I would not expect the system to change for 2020, and neither should you. That said, guillotines are back in fashion.
Pages: 1 ... 2307 2308 [2309] 2310 2311 ... 3566