Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2300 2301 [2302] 2303 2304 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4210216 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #34515 on: February 04, 2020, 08:04:14 pm »

One interesting explanation I'm seeing for the possible delegate/vote split seems to be coming from viability thresholds -- basically the minimum you need to get your at-least-one delegate. What seems to be happening is that pete is missing fewer thresholds, but missing them by more votes, and consequentially ending up with more delegate despite fewer raw votes due to not spreading his support around as much.

Or in other words, Pete's campaign team actually might have known exactly how to play Iowa to pull a caucus victory, and in a way that makes me mildly conflicted vis a vis a (still pretty damn unlikely) general run. It's basically an electoral college victory strategy, which is fucking unfortunately what actually matters in this country.

Maybe sanders or warren or whoever can, like, eat Pete's campaign team and find somewhere harmless to stuff the guy himself, I'unno. If they could translate this to the national stage and still maintain what's getting the popular vote, it could be good stuff.

Now, for doom and gloom, one notable problem is that, indeed, turnout doesn't seem particularly higher than 2016. Unless the demographics involved are super unusual, that's a pretty bad sign for bernie in particular, as he's hinging a fair amount on getting turnout up and especially among the youth. If that's not actually happening, well...

I guess we just hope iowa isn't any kind of trend setter for the other primaries on that front.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34516 on: February 04, 2020, 08:14:02 pm »

I guess we just hope iowa isn't any kind of trend setter for the other primaries on that front.

Well, caucuses are weird like that; since there's no absentee vote or secret ballot, there's some justification for assuming that more people are willing to actually vote than are willing to show up to some random gymnasium in early February and suffer through this infantile hours-long exercise in peer pressure, especially non-establishment Democrats and independents who don't feel the need to flaunt their collective cornfield's first-in-the-nation status.

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34517 on: February 04, 2020, 08:22:06 pm »

I'm curious why you guys don't like Pete? Doesn't seem too positive around here for him. Keep in mind its just a question, I literally know nothing about him and not really sure how he managed to get so many votes to begin with. I never really heard much about him, and definitely not someone I've heard mentioned really in california. I mostly hear about biden, bernie and warren than anyone else locally. He seems young and energetic from the videos I looked up of him. But that doesn't necessarily make a good candidate.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #34518 on: February 04, 2020, 08:24:24 pm »

Search "CIA Pete" in the thread, that will at least get you started. Maybe MetalSlimeHunt can be enticed to once again lay out his case against him.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #34519 on: February 04, 2020, 08:32:14 pm »

Search "CIA Pete" in the thread, that will at least get you started. Maybe MetalSlimeHunt can be enticed to once again lay out his case against him.
He's a moderate Republican who wants to become Barack Obama, physically and mentally. He might be a CIA asset. He's definitely an asshole and a corporate stooge. And since his support from black voters is best expressed as an imaginary number, along with having a squeaky-clean lack of principles, Trump would devour him on live television.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34520 on: February 04, 2020, 08:33:31 pm »

Thanks :) A few came up, though not sure if all showed up on search or not.

What stuck out the most was MetalSlimeHunt's twitter link showing him rather angry when warren was talking about him. It was a little creepy and bad vibe from that. Plus him funding the app, but I dunno what to say about that. A little odd I guess is a way to put it.

I'd be interested in hearing metalslimehunt's thoughts on him if he doesn't mind. Cause at first glance, I think bernie actually be a better choice than angry guy. (edit: I see I posted a little late. Thanks for the short bit of info metalSlimeHunt. I'll have to do my own reading, but it doesn't actually look good with what I found in search in this thread.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #34521 on: February 04, 2020, 08:47:42 pm »

I'm still not entirely clear if Pete's folks actually funded the app, or just did business with the company that dev'd it, honestly. The latter actually wouldn't be much of an issue, since from what I understand not terribly many people are particularly interested in sticking their dick in the overclocked cheese grinder that is software development for election infrastructure, i.e. it's easy-ish to have done business with them just due to limited options. The former might even not be anything but a bad look -- other campaigns, including bernie's, largely seems to be suggesting the official numbers starting to ooze out are in line with what folks were seeing on the ground, i.e. whatever problems the app had was just plain ol' rush job development crap. Pete just performing well in an area he hyper focused on, in a way to produce specific results, is a non-story that doesn't require any shadowy (heh) shenanigans (a non-story we'll no doubt see blown up into mounds of conspiratorial media buzz, of course).

Beyond Iowa, policy wise Pete's, like... actually fine? His platform and rhetoric are largely left-wing (shit, in some places more aggressively than sanders, iirc) and whatnot. Miles better than trump, probably even as good or better than biden. When it comes to other stuff, though... oof. That falsifying black endorsements thing is basically a case in point. His record as a mayor has some nasty shit in it, too. Folks that dislike pete for non-bigot reasons definitely have grounds to do so.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #34522 on: February 04, 2020, 09:03:37 pm »

Well I do truly apologize for my overly aggressive posts and insults. I really do need to calm down when it comes to politics and religion, I can get pretty intense sorry about that. I've done that before in this thread.

It does seem though the media isn't too fond of Bernie, so I can see how it would look like they may do stuff that hurts his nomination. I still trust hillary though, but I can see how it would look. In a way, I think a lot about hillary were lies so I can see how others could see how a lot of Bernie are lies too made by his opponents to undermine his chances.

This was legitimately a fairly decent step back and I give you credit for it.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Andux

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:semicolons]
    • View Profile
    • Andux's DFWiki page
« Reply #34523 on: February 04, 2020, 09:38:53 pm »

I'll have to do my own reading, but it doesn't actually look good with what I found in search in this thread.

The recent Some More News video is pretty good--lays out the issues without veering too far into black-helicopters-polonium-CASE-NIGHTMARE-BEIGE territory.
(Do not sign anything.) -- Fell, Planescape: Torment

MADMAN · Save Tools · WTF Tools · Generated Raws Extractor · Tweak for 0.31–34.xx

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #34524 on: February 05, 2020, 06:43:23 am »

Three significant takeaways from the State of the Union address:

First, Trump snubbed Pelosi's handshake at the start of the event.

Second, Pelosi ripped up the transcript of Trump's speech, and later said that she did so because it was a manuscript of lies.

And third, Trump turned the address into a TV show.
Little girl who wants to go to college, you're getting a full scholarship!
Little boy who wants to go to space, you're going to space! Yay Space Force!
Military wife who is worried about your husband overseas, well he's here in the audience with you tonight!
Guy who just got cancer, you're going home with the Presidential Medal of Freedom!
And everybody else is going home with a brand new car! Except for the Democrats; fuck those guys.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34525 on: February 05, 2020, 06:45:44 am »

I... don't even want to look to see how much of that is accurate.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34526 on: February 05, 2020, 06:46:26 am »

I... don't even want to look to see how much of that is accurate.
Sounds like everything but the new car bit, and I haven't watched it at all. :3
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #34527 on: February 05, 2020, 07:03:56 am »

On the Iowa Caucus front, they missed their self-imposed deadline of reporting the results the day after the Caucus.
This is why you always estimate that things will take at least twice as long as you actually expect them to take. Rookie mistake.

They do have 71% of the results reported however. The two frontrunners are Buttigieg with 26.8%, over Sanders with 25.5%.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #34528 on: February 05, 2020, 07:34:14 am »

He's a moderate Republican who wants to become Barack Obama, physically and mentally. He might be a CIA asset. He's definitely an asshole and a corporate stooge. And since his support from black voters is best expressed as an imaginary number, along with having a squeaky-clean lack of principles, Trump would devour him on live television.
On all levels except physical, I am Barack Obama

[changes]

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #34529 on: February 05, 2020, 07:44:25 am »

They do have 71% of the results reported however. The two frontrunners are Buttigieg with 26.8%, over Sanders with 25.5%.
Let's be clear:

Sanders leads the first round vote.

Sanders leads the final round vote.

The CIA leads in State Delegate Equivalents.

And for actual delegates, they're currently tied at 10 each.

Democracy in action, folks. Caucuses and Iowa are just amazing.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 2300 2301 [2302] 2303 2304 ... 3566