Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2296 2297 [2298] 2299 2300 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4210255 times)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #34455 on: February 04, 2020, 08:01:51 am »

I think ranked choice is a good idea

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #34456 on: February 04, 2020, 08:26:14 am »

It's fascinating that the Washington Post chose to run this right before the Iowa caucus, during a legal argument - one likely to succeed - that the President has literally unlimited power.
The only way I can see such a thing as fascinating is as if it's fascinating in the same way flat earth arguments are fascinating.  Unless people now really do just flat out ignore the Constitution, the President (and the executive) has clearly defined limits on authority.

Is that article fear mongering, or another example of post-modern "words only mean what you want them to mean, not what the author intended", or something else?
More like how the current impeachment trials are about Trump is overstepping his authority and how he'll almost certainly not be impeached and how that means that the president can, thus, do whatever the fuck they want.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #34457 on: February 04, 2020, 08:36:21 am »

USA: Fuck monarchies, the King is too powerful
Also USA: What if we make a President more powerful than a King, then it will be double plus good

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34458 on: February 04, 2020, 08:37:54 am »

I'm holding onto hope that this withholding-witnesses-shit blows up in their face so hard it forces a reform and abolishes party politics forever.

Unrealistically high expectations, I know.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34459 on: February 04, 2020, 09:07:02 am »

More like how the current impeachment trials are about Trump is overstepping his authority and how he'll almost certainly not be impeached and how that means that the president can, thus, do whatever the fuck they want.
But this doesn't mean that a different Congress couldn't impeach a president. The current Congress just isn't willing to do it.  I guess I don't understand the extrapolation that this means any President can do "whatever they want".
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34460 on: February 04, 2020, 09:16:19 am »

It's fascinating that the Washington Post chose to run this right before the Iowa caucus, during a legal argument - one likely to succeed - that the President has literally unlimited power.

The executive branch can apparently refuse to acknowledge our mortal courts, it can certainly refuse to imprison people for student loan debts.  How strange that the Washington Post would run such a story anyway.

(they hate Bernie Sanders because they like their financial backers)

By "financial backers" do you mean "Jeff Bezos literally bought Washington Post to push his political ideology"?

I'm holding onto hope that this withholding-witnesses-shit blows up in their face so hard it forces a reform and abolishes party politics forever.

Congress, made up of partisain politicians, would be the ones having to create those reforms.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #34461 on: February 04, 2020, 09:27:39 am »

What the hell’s going on with the Iowa caucus? Vote rigging shenanigans?
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #34462 on: February 04, 2020, 09:45:01 am »

As near as I've been able to tell, it's literally just a caucus being a caucus. I've come to the impression the word looks similar to circus for a reason :-\
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #34463 on: February 04, 2020, 09:51:33 am »

What the hell’s going on with the Iowa caucus? Vote rigging shenanigans?
Iowa mou shindeiru.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #34464 on: February 04, 2020, 09:54:43 am »

What's the deal with the Iowa cactus?
Love, scriver~

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34465 on: February 04, 2020, 10:03:44 am »

They had a bit of a caucup.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34466 on: February 04, 2020, 10:09:53 am »

But this doesn't mean that a different Congress couldn't impeach a president. The current Congress just isn't willing to do it.  I guess I don't understand the extrapolation that this means any President can do "whatever they want".
The President's legal team is "making the case", or at least claiming and being supported by McConnel and the Senate, that a sitting President cannot be indicted *or even investigated* while in office.  Rather famously they were asked directly about Trump's joke that he could shoot someone on Fifth Avenue, and their legal opinion was that he should be immune.  Until leaving office- but that no investigation could even be started in the meantime.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34467 on: February 04, 2020, 10:57:22 am »

The President's legal team is "making the case", or at least claiming and being supported by McConnel and the Senate, that a sitting President cannot be indicted *or even investigated* while in office.  Rather famously they were asked directly about Trump's joke that he could shoot someone on Fifth Avenue, and their legal opinion was that he should be immune.  Until leaving office- but that no investigation could even be started in the meantime.

It gets better.  They claim if a politician is running for re-election, then that politician believes their continued work is within the public interest.  Any act helping re-election is then in the public interest.  There is nothing wrong about a politician doing what's in the public interest.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #34468 on: February 04, 2020, 11:10:05 am »

Iowa now blaming it's fuckup on a 'major coding error'.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34469 on: February 04, 2020, 11:14:10 am »

Congress, made up of partisain politicians, would be the ones having to create those reforms.

This is just pessimistic though. Things that are utilitarian and altruistic have gotten passed before, it's just a matter of making the relevant constituencies large and diverse enough in order to compel the lawmakers. That is, atleast according to "The Dictator's Handbook".
Pages: 1 ... 2296 2297 [2298] 2299 2300 ... 3566