Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2292 2293 [2294] 2295 2296 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4210692 times)

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #34395 on: January 31, 2020, 09:29:41 pm »

It is true the employment on USA has risen under The Emprah Tupee or it's just politician bulshit and number manipulation?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #34396 on: January 31, 2020, 09:45:08 pm »

I wonder what the chances are that in the 2020 prez campaign we hear Trump proclaim that it would be pointless to vote Democrat, because a Dem would not be able to get anything done while the GOP controls the Senate?

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #34397 on: January 31, 2020, 09:49:38 pm »

It is true the employment on USA has risen under The Emprah Tupee or it's just politician bulshit and number manipulation?

It is true that unemployment began going down after Obama enacted economic policies. It is also true that Trump has managed to ride that wave and take credit for it, while also adding new policies which help sustain job growth in the short term but analysts agree will do more harm than good in the long term.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34398 on: January 31, 2020, 09:50:28 pm »

I have seen it went up, but I don't remember the source so I can't tell you if it was bullshit or not.  From what I understand however it takes a year or two for many things like that to actually start having a real effect.  So I figure it's just as likely its from Obama policies or fluctuation in the universal cosmic fabric as it is trumps doing.

Edit: What folly said, politicians often ride the wave of effects of the previous administration and say it's their doing, and then when their policies make things go to shit it does not go to shit til the next administration.  From what I've been noticing republicans ride the wave from the good democrats do, then they fuck everything up, the consequences hit when a democrat is in office, republicans blame it on the democrats and the people buy the bullshit and republicans get reelected just in time for the democrats fixing things takes effect.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 09:53:47 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #34399 on: January 31, 2020, 09:50:47 pm »

Like Folly said, it's technically true, but it's been almost continuously rising since early in the Obama administration.

Here's a graph of the US unemployment rate I googled.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34400 on: January 31, 2020, 09:54:04 pm »

Just saw an interesting comment on politics - rather than our elections often being between "the lesser of two evils" wouldn't it be nice if we could vote for "the better of two goods"?

Yeah, that's a great thought but also not how duopolies work.

Duopolies are a game of chicken, where both sides want to be as shitty as possible, while still appearing to be slightly less bad than the other one. After a short period of time, they cooperate to maximize their shittiness, and keep out any potential competition that might improve things.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #34401 on: January 31, 2020, 10:28:02 pm »

Bernie is the closest our existing system will ever get to a politician who's an unambiguous good for America and the world around it. Don't miss out.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #34402 on: January 31, 2020, 10:51:05 pm »

Like Folly said, it's technically true, but it's been almost continuously rising since early in the Obama administration.

More than that, the unemployment rate itself is generally pretty flawed. Most of measures of it don't, for example, measure the people that have just flat fucking gave up trying, nor does it measure underemployment rates (Like when you have someone with a master's degree flipping burgers) or a bunch of other stuff.

From what I understand the unemployment rate with junk along those lines factored in is something around double or worse what the official number is. US economy for the little guy is pretty shit in a lot of places.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34403 on: February 01, 2020, 01:22:26 am »

More than that, the unemployment rate itself is generally pretty flawed. Most of measures of it don't, for example, measure the people that have just flat fucking gave up trying, nor does it measure underemployment rates (Like when you have someone with a master's degree flipping burgers) or a bunch of other stuff.

From what I understand the unemployment rate with junk along those lines factored in is something around double or worse what the official number is. US economy for the little guy is pretty shit in a lot of places.

But the problem with that perspective is that it's always double. If the official rate was 10% in 2010, then it was actually probably more like 20% then, and if the official rate is 4% now, it's actually probably 8%. So you can still use the figures going up or down to say "things seem to be getting a little better" or "things seem to be getting a little worse".

Say I've got 8 oranges, and I say the amount of food i have is "8", and I say this is double the amount of food I had when I only had 4 oranges, but then you point out I'm wrong, because I can't eat the rind of the oranges, so you say it's only 7.5 oranges, and thus not double what I had at 4 oranges. Clearly, that would be erroneous, since the rind was there even when I had 4 oranges, so it's still double the amount of food I had before, even taking into account the part I can't eat.

Similarly, if the official unemployment rate drops from 8% to 4% we can meaningfully say that many less people are unemployed now. Just because you can include some other people in the metric and come up with some larger number doesn't tell us anything about whether things are getting better or worse. What matters the most is that you use consistent metrics, rather than changing the metric and then comparing the original metric to the altered one. If the "unofficial unemployment rate" is 8% while the "official unemployment rate" is only 4%, that doesn't actually mean "things are twice as bad as they are saying". It means things are exactly the same as they are saying. These are made-up metrics, but they are indicators of the current situation. An official unemployment rate of 4% is the exact same situation as an unofficial rate of 8%, neither better nor worse.

Which particular metric you use is kind of pointless: you could come up with pretty much any number you want by jigging the formula. For example, literally everyone could work at least 1 extra hour per week so you could put together a metric that says 100% of people are under-employed. Or, you could consider 1 hour of work a week as being "employed" and come to the conclusion that very few people "aren't employed". Or anything in between by using an arbitrary yardstick. The proper use is to pick a yardstick, stick to it, then compare that at different places and different times. The raw numbers themselves are meaningless, it's the relative values that matter.

Also, not everyone needs or should be a wage-slave so to point at the number of people "not involved" in the labor sector as the true "wasted people" is a problematic metric, because it adheres to an extremely narrow set of value judgements, that puts no value on people not being employed in the formal economy.

Like when you have someone with a master's degree flipping burgers

The solution here is that people shouldn't study shit that nobody needs then expect to get paid a lot of money for it. Basically, to put that "masters degree nobody wants" guy in a cushy well-paying job we'd have to relegate 10 other people to burger-flipping in his stead. Saying it's a "waste" that we're not putting this guy's masters degree to use is actually the sunk-cost fallacy. Saying that since we invested money and time in that guy's education, the only sensible thing to do is waste more money coming up with things for him to do. The real problem here is the student loan system. Student loans give out erroneous economic signals about what skills are actually in demand, so you get very high wages in some disciplines where they can't get enough graduates and you get other disciplines with high levels of unemployment/under-employment and low wages, poor conditions, because the student loans / university system doesn't allow for actual economic feedback from industry. They only care about filling up their allotted class sizes every year.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 01:48:07 am by Reelya »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #34404 on: February 01, 2020, 08:17:39 am »

If you're flipping burgers with a masters degree, but doesn't have a single burger degree, aren't you actually overemployed?

Love, scriver~

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34405 on: February 01, 2020, 09:14:32 am »

Now I'm wondering what that field of study would be called. Pattylogy? Burgerology?
Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34406 on: February 01, 2020, 09:21:59 am »

Now I'm wondering what that field of study would be called. Pattylogy? Burgerology?

Taught by Professor Spongebob.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34407 on: February 01, 2020, 09:22:55 am »

It's actually a subdiscipline of applied chemistry

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34408 on: February 01, 2020, 09:41:18 am »

Aren't burgers usually cooked with multiple degrees? (Even more in Fahrenheit than Celsius, showing once again the American overdemand for degrees in basic positions)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #34409 on: February 01, 2020, 09:43:07 am »

It's culinary arts, silly people, if it's not more specialized. There's actually cooking degrees and schools. A graduate of one of those flipping frozen burgers in a fast food chain would be a more or less perfect example of underemployment :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 2292 2293 [2294] 2295 2296 ... 3566