Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2249 2250 [2251] 2252 2253 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4210185 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #33750 on: December 19, 2019, 03:55:20 pm »

We never would have gotten to this point if we hadn't spent 8 years of Bush being the literal devil to one half of the country and then 8 years of Obama being the literal antichrist to the other half of the country. Neither one of them was NEARLY as bad a president as their opponents would like to make them out to be. Not that it started with them, but that's really where it reached a head.

Sorry, but... Bush was bad.  Fuckin' baaaaaaaad.  Robbed the country blind of trillions of dollars, using war efforts based on lies to funnel money to friends via defense contracts, killing hundreds of thousands of people in the process and turning terrorism into the scale of problem that it is today.  Did massive damage to civil liberties, kicking our mass surveillance and militarized police state into ultra high gear.  Founded ICE.  Presided over the lead-up to 2008.  Brought the unitary executive theory to the forefront of politics to push the office of president towards being the overly powerful, divisive figure that it is today.

And I'm no fan of Obama, either.  But in Bush's case, I'd like to hear the argument as to how he wasn't as bad as his opponents make him out to be.  Most today will admit he was bad and his wars were a mistake, but even so, he was 10x worse than most people have yet come to realize.  You might argue that it wasn't him, it was Cheney.  But I'm using his name to refer shorthand to his administration more broadly, and it doesn't really reflect any better on him to argue that he was just a hapless buffoon and allowed his direct associations to do all that stuff because he couldn't know any better.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33751 on: December 19, 2019, 04:43:16 pm »

Short of that, maybe there's a chance of telling Fox News/MSNBC to shut the hell up and do their jobs rather than push their boss's agendas. Second only to the parties I place the blame squarely on media and their blatant spinning of the truth in almost every story they tell these days. When they do get it right, they get it really right. I'm not saying they've completely failed at their jobs, but their day to day reporting is absolute shit.

That is their job. Fox News was founded on the idea of being an entertainment channel that talked about the news, not a news channel with journalists. It's not intended to inform anyone.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33752 on: December 19, 2019, 05:44:34 pm »

We never would have gotten to this point if we hadn't spent 8 years of Bush being the literal devil to one half of the country and then 8 years of Obama being the literal antichrist to the other half of the country. Neither one of them was NEARLY as bad a president as their opponents would like to make them out to be. Not that it started with them, but that's really where it reached a head.

Sorry, but... Bush was bad.  Fuckin' baaaaaaaad.  Robbed the country blind of trillions of dollars, using war efforts based on lies to funnel money to friends via defense contracts, killing hundreds of thousands of people in the process and turning terrorism into the scale of problem that it is today.  Did massive damage to civil liberties, kicking our mass surveillance and militarized police state into ultra high gear.  Founded ICE.  Presided over the lead-up to 2008.  Brought the unitary executive theory to the forefront of politics to push the office of president towards being the overly powerful, divisive figure that it is today.

And I'm no fan of Obama, either.  But in Bush's case, I'd like to hear the argument as to how he wasn't as bad as his opponents make him out to be.  Most today will admit he was bad and his wars were a mistake, but even so, he was 10x worse than most people have yet come to realize.  You might argue that it wasn't him, it was Cheney.  But I'm using his name to refer shorthand to his administration more broadly, and it doesn't really reflect any better on him to argue that he was just a hapless buffoon and allowed his direct associations to do all that stuff because he couldn't know any better.

And that's literally my point. Obama followed up and continued, and mostly expanded upon doing a lot of the same things Bush did, but he never gets 1/10th as much blame as Bush for shit like Middle East wars, Guantanamo and PATRIOT act shit.

And if you want to go back through history, they're both pretty much just on par with presidents of the 20th century. Clinton did a bunch of the same shit. Bush Sr., Reagan, Carter, all the way back to at LEAST Kennedy where my knowledge of historical presidential politics gets a bit more fuzzy. Every president for the last half century at least has engaged in similar behavior as Bush and Obama. There's one simple difference. Media and the internet. It's much harder for presidents to do things quietly anymore. Anything they sign, anything they say in any sort of even semi-public setting. It's instantly recorded and instantly transmitted for all to see. 30-40 years ago, you'd have to either depend upon press reports put out by the white house, find someone willing to leak, or dig through piles and piles of public records in order to find anything juicy on a president. Now it's all out there, minutes after it happens. Bush and Obama SEEM worse than in the past, but that's only because we see them more clearly than we've ever seen public figures.

Short of that, maybe there's a chance of telling Fox News/MSNBC to shut the hell up and do their jobs rather than push their boss's agendas. Second only to the parties I place the blame squarely on media and their blatant spinning of the truth in almost every story they tell these days. When they do get it right, they get it really right. I'm not saying they've completely failed at their jobs, but their day to day reporting is absolute shit.

That is their job. Fox News was founded on the idea of being an entertainment channel that talked about the news, not a news channel with journalists. It's not intended to inform anyone.

Yes, technically that is what they're paid to do. But their stated occupation is as journalists. That, they are very much failing to do.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #33753 on: December 19, 2019, 05:51:49 pm »

Author of Bigfoot erotica wins Virginia congressional race

A year old, but this one somehow slipped through the cracks so I feel it deserves a mention.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #33754 on: December 19, 2019, 06:51:37 pm »

Fox News was founded to be a conservative alternative to CNN, which was criticized as "too liberal".
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #33755 on: December 19, 2019, 08:31:40 pm »

And that's literally my point. Obama followed up and continued, and mostly expanded upon doing a lot of the same things Bush did, but he never gets 1/10th as much blame as Bush for shit like Middle East wars, Guantanamo and PATRIOT act shit.

And if you want to go back through history, they're both pretty much just on par with presidents of the 20th century. Clinton did a bunch of the same shit. Bush Sr., Reagan, Carter, all the way back to at LEAST Kennedy where my knowledge of historical presidential politics gets a bit more fuzzy. Every president for the last half century at least has engaged in similar behavior as Bush and Obama. There's one simple difference. Media and the internet. It's much harder for presidents to do things quietly anymore. Anything they sign, anything they say in any sort of even semi-public setting. It's instantly recorded and instantly transmitted for all to see. 30-40 years ago, you'd have to either depend upon press reports put out by the white house, find someone willing to leak, or dig through piles and piles of public records in order to find anything juicy on a president. Now it's all out there, minutes after it happens. Bush and Obama SEEM worse than in the past, but that's only because we see them more clearly than we've ever seen public figures.

I said I'm no fan of Obama.  I'm usually the one pointing out to others that he carried on much of the unpopular things that Bush started.  I'm also not aware of any U.S. president that didn't do extraordinarily shitty things.

But Bush's administration was bad on an extraordinary scale.  Yeah, none of it was anything new in terms of the types of behavior.  But the scale and severity was.  The amount of money and innocent life wasted and the hollowness of the lies used to justify it.  Unjust wars prior mostly had *some* basis in reality that was just exaggerated and twisted, and some kind of goal.  The Iraq War had nothing.  It was wholly fabricated as a giant money laundering scheme.  And the rapid erosion of civil rights was also, to my knowledge, completely unprecedented.  That era drastically fucked the global economy and politics for decades to follow, and considering what happened to environmentalism after the Bush v Gore election, which the Bush admin worked harder than any before to undermine, may have literally doomed civilization.  Successors have also been shit, but the Bush admin raised the bar several times higher for just how shit it was possible to be.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 08:34:22 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33756 on: December 19, 2019, 10:13:36 pm »

Apparently the USDA tried to sneak in a free trade agreement with Wakanda, no doubt to secure some of that sweet vibranium and high tech gadgets.

It was quickly pulled from the website, I suspect after someone pointed out to the republicans that Wakanda is full of... erm... *whispers* blaaaack people *endwhispering*

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33757 on: December 19, 2019, 11:23:03 pm »

Apparently CNN is hosting a Democrat debate tonight, but I’m having trouble accessing it on the Internet. You would think something happening now would be easier to find. Hopefully some of you will be able to watch the debate and talk about it here, to help people who don’t have cable catch up on what happened

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #33758 on: December 19, 2019, 11:38:33 pm »

In short:

They tried to ratfuck Sanders, again, but this time not only did he turn all their bullshit around on them but he managed to get first place speaking time. Also finally called everyone else out on being financed by billionaires and condemning people to death by not supporting M4A. Clear winner, according to the LA Times focus group.

Biden is still dying live on stream with every word, also made sure to promise America that they won't be getting any handouts from him if elected, no sir!

Warren and Klobuchar spent the whole debate either saying nothing, calling for unity, or fighting with Buttigieg.

Buttigieg mostly managed to pretend he wasn't a CIA asset, but instead acted like a serial killer whenever some...flesh being had the audacity to criticize him. He'll make them all pay in the true currency of this damned world.

Yang got completely ran over, as per usual.

Steyer was present.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 11:42:14 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33759 on: December 20, 2019, 01:56:27 am »

tell me when there's a "debate" that isn't a 10 man free-for-all
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33760 on: December 20, 2019, 03:16:55 am »

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #33761 on: December 20, 2019, 04:18:17 am »

A year old, but this one somehow slipped through the cracks so I feel it deserves a mention.

Author of Bigfoot erotica prevails over Cockburn
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33762 on: December 20, 2019, 06:43:53 am »

Author of Bigfoot erotica prevails over Cockburn

The best quote from the article:
Chuck Tingle, a prolific erotica satire author, responded to the controversy by releasing a book called “Don’t Vote For Virginia Congressional Hopeful Denber Wiggleman Because He Is Full Of Hate, Not Because Bigfoot Makes Him Hard.”
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33763 on: December 20, 2019, 08:20:09 am »

MetslSlimeHunt, what do you mean when you said Buttigieg “acted like a serial killer” and how do we know he is a CIA asset?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #33764 on: December 20, 2019, 09:05:28 am »

He's CIA because of his self admitted work for McKinsey, doing """economic development""" in Afghanistan, and something unstated in a safe house in Iraq. He's more CIA than the opening scene of Dark Knight Returns.

And he acts like a serial killer because of the cold flame that consumes him every time someone objects to something he says, also this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gc_bMkbOOs
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 2249 2250 [2251] 2252 2253 ... 3566