Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2244 2245 [2246] 2247 2248 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4206307 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #33675 on: December 16, 2019, 02:12:09 pm »

Well damn. My job, it's 1 week a year for the first couple of years, then 2 weeks a year, but they get a little bitchy if you try to use both weeks at the same time. I don't remember if you get any time off the first year at all. And if you're the store manager you can take off whenever the hell you feel like because it's not like that douchebag does anything even when he is around.

There's also sick time, but good luck being allowed to use that; the stated policy is "I don't really care if you've got an infectious disease, come in anyway".
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #33676 on: December 16, 2019, 04:24:01 pm »

Whenever I read about employee protections and benefits standards in other developed countries, I want to cry.  And I even have a decent job by U.S. standards.  Not great, but decent.  I get 2 weeks vacation, plus some sick time, and make nearly median household income by myself.  But I'm also salaried, so my hours are officially "as needed" and I can't make overtime.  I worked pretty much all the time for like 3 years, until my bosses finally took some steps to relieve me.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33677 on: December 16, 2019, 08:22:06 pm »

I'm confused how you get some of those numbers for the 1% though, it doesn't look like the chart is showing relative proportions like yours did (as in only the 1% colored section is theirs) it looks like straight numbers, so the 1% went from over ~62 Trillion in wealth down to over ~55 Trillion in wealth and back up to something over ~105 Trillion in wealth.

Umm, the $105 trillion is the total of all cohorts added together. Have another look at the data. You can turn off the other cohorts if you want to see just one cohort graphed.

I got the numbers by merely clicking on the tab labeled "Table" to view the raw data from your link.

Over the same period it looks like the bottom 50% went from maybe 2 Trillion, down to less than 1 Trillion, and back up a bit over 2 Trillion?

The figures tell and interesting story, if you look back at the "bottom 50%" wealth, you'll notice there was almost zero growth for the 10 years before the crash. 1997 Q2 wealth (bottom 50%) is 1.30 trillion (and that's not even the peak, but I'm using Q2's to be fair: if you pick a later date in 1997 or 1998 can actually show *negative* growth between 97/98 and 2007), while the very peak at 2007 Q2 was only 1.39 trillion (I missed this data point before, it's higher than 2007 Q3 for this cohort, so it's a fairer peak).

So in the 10 years between 1997 Q2 - 2007 Q2, the bottom 50% averaged 0.67% growth per year (one fifth of one percent). In the 12 years between 2007 Q2 (the peak before the crash) and 2019 Q2, they've averaged 3.1% per annum growth, a growth rate 4 times faster than the previous decade. 

And this is measuring from the peak, not the bottom, so it accounts for both the crash and recovery. Growth since then is actually averaging much higher than 3.1%. Right now, the last 12 months growth for the bottom 50%'s wealth was apparently 12.8% per annum, and if you average growth rates since the absolute bottom for the poor (2011 Q2 - 2019 Q2), you get 36% per annum growth.
Well thanks for correcting my misinformation, like I said, I've tried a few things that usually get sites working fine, if not workable enough to use but the fed site is, well...
Java enabled, disabled, css allowed, straight up disable ublock, it wants to do some fucked up shit I ain't interested in giving it full freedom to do.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33678 on: December 16, 2019, 09:13:07 pm »

It probably wants flash player. :3
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33679 on: December 16, 2019, 10:35:12 pm »

Hah, what the fuck, it just might, though HTML5 steps in to fill those roles everywhere else I've seen online.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33680 on: December 17, 2019, 12:14:52 am »

Is flash player even still a thing anymore?

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33681 on: December 17, 2019, 12:24:35 am »

Last stable release was six days ago, so yes, I suppose it is.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33682 on: December 17, 2019, 01:09:39 am »

Last stable release was six days ago, so yes, I suppose it is.

not for long.

https://www.ghacks.net/2017/07/25/adobe-retires-flash-in-december-2020/

the retirement of FLASH has been planned for this month for years now.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #33683 on: December 17, 2019, 01:34:12 am »

Still got a year left of updates.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33684 on: December 17, 2019, 01:36:08 am »

while thats more than win7 is getting, thats still very close on the digital horizon.  web developers should avoid using it where-ever and whenever possible.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #33685 on: December 17, 2019, 02:17:28 am »

Still got a year left of updates.
I recognize that avatar.  ;D

I feel like if DF had more visually appealing graphics it would be perfect for Gray. Mermaid-harvesting automated death towers sounds like something he'd be elated to be able to make.

while thats more than win7 is getting, thats still very close on the digital horizon.  web developers should avoid using it where-ever and whenever possible.
Yeah well, should is very far from do when half the time the web developer is an underpaid intern in a third-world country who learned HTML off the back of the town cereal box, or worse, a boomer.

Chances are it'll still be in use by various "who gives a darn, all our users are ancient anyway" type sites years after the last update. Old, decrepit, somehow still around even if really it should have been replaced by a newer model years ago, like the web version of Bernie Sanders.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33686 on: December 17, 2019, 12:56:43 pm »

Whenever I read about employee protections and benefits standards in other developed countries, I want to cry.  And I even have a decent job by U.S. standards.  Not great, but decent.  I get 2 weeks vacation, plus some sick time, and make nearly median household income by myself.  But I'm also salaried, so my hours are officially "as needed" and I can't make overtime.  I worked pretty much all the time for like 3 years, until my bosses finally took some steps to relieve me.

People who don't live in the US: Have you heard about the way we pay for health care (or, more likely, a doctor saying they can't help you)?

Health Savings Accounts. At the start of the year, you guess how injured/sick you will be in the coming year, measured in dollars. Then, an amount of money is taken out of your paycheck, which will total up to that amount by the end of the year. You save on some taxes that way, but if you have money left over (because you weren't sick/able to get in after your last paycheck), the company running the Health Savings Account keeps the rest of your money. They also, like rebate companies, find reasons why your health care need didn't meet the requirements so the money you paid into the account can't be spent.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33687 on: December 17, 2019, 01:16:56 pm »

The best part is that HR here hypes up those health savings accounts as great and free money that people should use, and I'm just scratching my head and wondering why I ever would unless I had a chronic illness and I knew I had some fixed medical costs where the meager tax savings would make it worth the headache.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #33688 on: December 17, 2019, 01:17:46 pm »

Yeah, those are a thing in the US, too. Largely horseshit, though. Feck off with yer tax rebate or whatev', I'd rather just pay a bloody tax that pays for healthcare and leave yer vulture arse in a ditch.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #33689 on: December 17, 2019, 01:25:14 pm »

Not sure what shitty HSA's you guys have.....

But my balance rolls over year to year, earns interest and I can invest it. Granted I can't just reclaim that money at will like it's a debit account, but I can withdrawal from it for non-health reasons at a 20% penalty. But they don't just steal my paycheck if I don't use it.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 01:30:18 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 2244 2245 [2246] 2247 2248 ... 3566