Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2234 2235 [2236] 2237 2238 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4204255 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #33525 on: December 02, 2019, 07:14:58 am »

Regardless, the explanation is a true enough one. Conservative thought is obsessed with exclusivity attained through hierarchy. Law-abiding, executive lifestyle, prestigious academy, heaven for Christ's Platinum cardholders and eternal hellfire for the rest of humanity all the way back to Australopithecus.

The reason conservatives treat proposed changes to society like grifts is because, well, that's the only reason they'd try to change something! So even if they can't figure out why exactly abolishing late fees for library books would cheat them out of the Upper Hellslum they stole fair and square and see them plunge into the Lower Hellslum, this is the framework by which they've decided reality functions and so it must be true somehow.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33526 on: December 02, 2019, 07:24:55 am »

It's really difficult to live in a world where the word Conservative is spelled the same as conservative.  I'm a conservative person, but not a Conservative.  But because it's the same word, I feel ostracized whenever people make observations about Conservatives.

:'(
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33527 on: December 02, 2019, 08:47:41 am »

It's really difficult to live in a world where the word Conservative is spelled the same as conservative.  I'm a conservative person, but not a Conservative.  But because it's the same word, I feel ostracized whenever people make observations about Conservatives.

:'(
It does help to expound what defines the word for you, I think. Hell, come up with your own descriptor! Don't be bound by language. :)
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33528 on: December 02, 2019, 09:42:08 am »

What we need are communities that aren't built by developers looking to make a quick buck, but rather by the people who are going to live in them, and which by design include features that make them pleasant to live in and sustainable for generations. Above all, this must be the dominant living style, or else its greatest benifits aren't available; thus, it must be available to all people, not just the rich.

I am not an urban usability expert, but I do know that those features are not found in the way cities and rural areas are currently managed.

That's a reasonable suggestion, which is why it's not going to work. As soon as one developer complains that you're taking food away from their children, politicians will sell everyone else out.

As an aside, good luck to everyone meeting relatives for Thanksgiving.

Eh...it worked itself out.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #33529 on: December 02, 2019, 11:11:15 am »

What we need are communities that aren't built by developers looking to make a quick buck, but rather by the people who are going to live in them, and which by design include features that make them pleasant to live in and sustainable for generations. Above all, this must be the dominant living style, or else its greatest benifits aren't available; thus, it must be available to all people, not just the rich.

I am not an urban usability expert, but I do know that those features are not found in the way cities and rural areas are currently managed.

That's a reasonable suggestion, which is why it's not going to work. As soon as one developer complains that you're taking food away from their children, politicians will sell everyone else out.

I appreciate the agreement, but I feel that cynicism to the point of not even trying is a failing strategy for fairly obvious reasons.

Anyway, is there some way that we can go past not voting for Bloomberg? For one thing, we can't have a guy running for office with his own personal news media.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33530 on: December 02, 2019, 11:19:28 am »

I appreciate the agreement, but I feel that cynicism to the point of not even trying is a failing strategy for fairly obvious reasons.

I like the idea, and would support it. I'm also just aware of how things would turn out.

Anyway, is there some way that we can go past not voting for Bloomberg? For one thing, we can't have a guy running for office with his own personal news media.

Can we vote for him to live on the surface of the sun? Or not. Once he's there, he's the sun's problem.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33531 on: December 02, 2019, 11:23:49 am »

I like the idea, and would support it. I'm also just aware of how things would turn out.

Can we vote for him to live on the surface of the sun? Or not. Once he's there, he's the sun's problem.
He would likely die from suffocation before even getting near the sun. Also, the sun would vaporize him long before he gets there. Also, if the idea is death, placing him on Venus would be cheaper

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33532 on: December 02, 2019, 12:01:03 pm »

But that contaminates a planet that might harbor unusual life, making further science there less valuable. He's not worth that cost.

At least until we definitively rule out exotic microbiota over there, He should definitely enjoy a summer vacation closer to the sun. Like, ON the sun. :)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33533 on: December 03, 2019, 05:53:14 am »

So, the DHS has decided that the best way to protect American rights and safety, is to jeopardize both.

https://techcrunch.com/2019/12/02/homeland-security-face-recognition-airport-citizens/

Can we please end this madness?  Please?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #33534 on: December 03, 2019, 06:00:17 am »

*bunga bunga intensifies*
Love, scriver~

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33535 on: December 03, 2019, 07:39:17 am »

Eh, I'm not going to assume the hubris necessary to think my own definition of a word is the definition of a word. I believe in the concept of common understandings of words to promote communication, not conflict.  I just have to practice not taking things personally when associated with a group other than that with I'd prefer association.

Regarding facial recognition: The trouble with "security" is that it's a really hard problem.  How do you balance prevention against reaction?  At what point does automated surveillance become worse than "in person" surveillance?  Can you have security without surveillance?  How do you balance security surveillance versus general surveillance?  I don't have answers to these, and there are many differing opinions.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33536 on: December 03, 2019, 09:41:38 am »

Eh, I'm not going to assume the hubris necessary to think my own definition of a word is the definition of a word. I believe in the concept of common understandings of words to promote communication, not conflict.  I just have to practice not taking things personally when associated with a group other than that with I'd prefer association.

Regarding facial recognition: The trouble with "security" is that it's a really hard problem.  How do you balance prevention against reaction?  At what point does automated surveillance become worse than "in person" surveillance?  Can you have security without surveillance?  How do you balance security surveillance versus general surveillance?  I don't have answers to these, and there are many differing opinions.

Using airport security as an example: Neither the shoe bomber nor the underwear bomber (both named for where they were keeping explosives) were caught by all of the new security procedures that have been added since 2001. They made it through the perv scanners, x-rays, pat-downs, etc. They were caught because human guards saw them acting weird, because apparently blowing yourself up is something to be nervous about.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33537 on: December 03, 2019, 10:19:31 am »

Then there were the Homeland Security tests carried out a few years ago, where about 80% of the weapons, explosives and contraband made it all the way through security.

I believe the head of TSA stepped down after that fiasco was published.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33538 on: December 03, 2019, 10:32:22 am »

Security theater is not about actual security.

It's about keeping up the appearances of "DOING SOMETHING!!" to save face-- AND getting a "Useful" secondary service for the intelligence agencies in the bargain. (national databases of citizens' DNA, face pattern data, et al.)

East Germany would have had a hardon for this kind of shit.  Why we allow it in the US is completely beyond me. 

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33539 on: December 03, 2019, 10:55:08 am »

Given the chance, the US will always choose the most authoritarian option, followed by whatever punishes people for being poor most.
Pages: 1 ... 2234 2235 [2236] 2237 2238 ... 3566