Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2201 2202 [2203] 2204 2205 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4195969 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #33030 on: October 19, 2019, 11:26:09 am »

Lucreomancy is not a parlor trick! It's serious magic! :P

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33031 on: October 19, 2019, 11:32:47 am »

Lucreomancy is not a parlor trick! It's serious magic! :P

"Lucreomancy is a perfectly valid school of magic, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise."
                           ~Skyrim
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33032 on: October 19, 2019, 11:35:02 am »

Seriously, how else do you transform mountains of toxic debt into mountains of credit?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33033 on: October 19, 2019, 11:40:44 am »

Obviously by clicking a banner ad or calling an infomercial that says it'll lower/raise/erase/triple my credit money debt score.

EDIT: Preferably from a Nigerian agency.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33034 on: October 19, 2019, 12:44:18 pm »

So lemme see if I've got this. Basically banks are finding barely-varying ways to get people to give them lots of money (using previously proven-as-disastrous methods as a base) on the premise that there will be a return on that money? And this promise is based on a third party's actions that cannot be predicted in any meaningful way except for the percentage that definitely will not hold up their end?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33035 on: October 19, 2019, 01:35:00 pm »

So that's like, what, basically loan shark tactics? I'm sure those are less regulated than bank loans, allowing for all sorts of predatory bullshit to occur. Been there.

Pavellius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33036 on: October 19, 2019, 01:52:01 pm »

Is there something I could do to protect myself from a crash?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33037 on: October 19, 2019, 01:57:34 pm »

Got it. They don't have any intention of paying back when they take the loan.

How do you protect against that? It's not like you can really tell in the end. Should we be giving less loans out to people, or being more scrupulous with the vetting process?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33038 on: October 19, 2019, 02:17:30 pm »

Ah, that makes sense.

Thanks for taking the time to respond and also for providing the reading material.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33039 on: October 19, 2019, 02:32:47 pm »

See but to me that sounds less like "forced to" and more like "unwilling to accept less extravagant profit margins".

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33040 on: October 19, 2019, 06:43:58 pm »

Generally it's up to the lender to properly evaluate the person taking out the loan to work out the risk. Generally, the riskier a loan is, the higher the interest rate. This works the same way with the consumer- your credit score is a reflection of how "risky" you are to make a loan to. Bad credit score, high interest rates.

Yeah, and it's exactly these checks that the Bush administration undermined leading up to the property market crash.

See "American Dream Downpayment Act" as one of the programs they enacted. This aloted a stack of money to pay the down payments and closing costs of low-income families to get a home loan, and made a special point of how it would help "minorities". In my opinion the real reason for this was political - if you hook black people in with 30-year mortgages, they're going to be subsceptible to economic fear at the voting booth - i.e. you can get them to vote for Republicans.

I've seen a documentary about it, and what happened was that managers were pressuring the people doing the lending paperwork to "sell sell sell" the low-income / minority home loans, because they didn't want to miss out on their share of the government incentives. Plus all the stuff that was enabled by repealing Glass–Steagall.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 06:47:07 pm by Reelya »

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33041 on: October 19, 2019, 11:38:00 pm »

Why do you think rich Chinese are scooping up foreign real estate?
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33043 on: October 20, 2019, 12:40:07 am »

Yes, but that's been going on well before China's economy started to slow (see: Vancouver, whose Chinese-produced housing bubble has persisted for the past 20 years). There's actually been a recent effort by Xi Jinping to drag those who've been hedging their bets back into China.

And China investing in foreign real-estate also doesn't suggest that Chinese real estate isn't solid. Those Chinese people might just be trying to cash in on foreign housing bubbles, because Chinese real estate is more stable (less risk but less profits). People traded dollars for bitcoin a while ago in a mad rush, that didn't imply dollars were on the way out.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 12:41:43 am by Reelya »

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #33044 on: October 20, 2019, 03:30:23 am »

Lately the phrase "I wonder what it would look like; a better world" has been hitting me harder cause it genuinely feels impossible for anyone to affect any sort of lasting change on the political landscape at large. I feel like every day we're inching (or footing, more like it) closer to a threshold where constituent trust in our government hits a point of no return and people just go apeshit. It certainly wouldn't take much, probably the recession/depression we're very obviously going to hit inside five years. Given the ways we've castigated the federal govt in this thread I don't think we'd have to be very creative to figure out the end result.

I wish I could do literally anything about it, but I don't have the means and every second not spent scrounging up influence and connections only widens that gap. Only 23 but I might as well be a 40 year old has been for how much of a chance I have of having any role in the beauracracy. I can't even wish that someone with the means could muster up the ambition to get a nice political coup going, because in the very unlikely event they could pull themselves away from their designated child fucking block of the day to do so they'd just manage to fuck it up. 🙁

My only source of fulfillment left from politics is the kind of schaudenfreude you get from seeing how bad somebody can manage to fuck the dog this time.
Pages: 1 ... 2201 2202 [2203] 2204 2205 ... 3566