Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2133 2134 [2135] 2136 2137 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4196880 times)

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #32010 on: September 01, 2019, 04:53:00 pm »

Nobody’s talking about the latest shooting which apparently started as a traffic stop and somehow the person decided to go on a shooting rampage? Though it’s not clear yet whether that person was about to do a mass shooting anyway and their plans got thrown.
Anyways, https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/01/politics/texas-state-rep-praying-for-protection-shooting/index.html
When are religious people, politicians in particular, going to realize that god does not work like DnD?

Mass shootings generally don't qualify for Ameripol thread until politicians start responding. I've yet to hear a single politician say a word about this one...I guess there weren't enough victims, or they're still worn out from all of the shootings last month. Numbers are currently at 7 dead, 22 injured.

One interesting note on the political side of this shooting, it occured 1 day before Texas(the state where the shooting happened) put into effect a bunch of new more lenient gun laws.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32011 on: September 01, 2019, 05:21:43 pm »

the problem with arming people to stop shooters is the same thing  as one of the things that causes people to need training to fight in the military/police, a normal person's reaction to being shot at by someone else is to run away or hide, not to shoot back

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32012 on: September 01, 2019, 05:44:56 pm »

Nobody’s talking about the latest shooting which apparently started as a traffic stop and somehow the person decided to go on a shooting rampage? Though it’s not clear yet whether that person was about to do a mass shooting anyway and their plans got thrown.
Anyways, https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/01/politics/texas-state-rep-praying-for-protection-shooting/index.html
When are religious people, politicians in particular, going to realize that god does not work like DnD?

Mass shootings generally don't qualify for Ameripol thread until politicians start responding. I've yet to hear a single politician say a word about this one...I guess there weren't enough victims, or they're still worn out from all of the shootings last month. Numbers are currently at 7 dead, 22 injured.

One interesting note on the political side of this shooting, it occured 1 day before Texas(the state where the shooting happened) put into effect a bunch of new more lenient gun laws.

Start responding verbally or legislatively? Because they have said stuff, but it’s the same as you’d expect from either side, Democrats: Gun reform now dammit! Republicans: We need god to grant clerics the shield spell so that we can protect ourselves! (To tongue-in-cheek the DnD comparison I made earlier).

Gov. Abbott of Texas said that he was tired of people dying like this, but if only he’d put that into action because god isn’t going to rescue them, they’re just using it as an excuse to not do anything.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #32013 on: September 01, 2019, 06:08:15 pm »

Using it as an excuse to try to make the issue worse, you mean, more like. They're doing stuff but it ain't terribly helpful if you want fewer americans gunned down in our streets.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32014 on: September 01, 2019, 08:25:33 pm »

There have been occasions where civilians have taken out active shooters, but it is usually law enforcement.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32015 on: September 01, 2019, 08:54:17 pm »

There have been occasions where civilians have taken out active shooters, but it is usually law enforcement.

There have also been situations where civilians made things worse, and got themselves or other bystanders killed in the crossfire.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #32016 on: September 01, 2019, 10:46:44 pm »

That’s kind of interesting how politicians seem to think people have an innate desire to protect others by putting themselves at risk.

I mean, does having a gun give someone greater intestinal fortitude? Sudden impressive marksmanship skills in situations of great peril?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32017 on: September 02, 2019, 01:05:30 am »

But they don't seem to support mandatory range hours...
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32018 on: September 02, 2019, 01:16:36 am »

pff, who needs accuracy

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32019 on: September 02, 2019, 01:23:34 am »

That’s kind of interesting how politicians seem to think people have an innate desire to protect others by putting themselves at risk.
I mean, does having a gun give someone greater intestinal fortitude? Sudden impressive marksmanship skills in situations of great peril?

There are all kinds of people out there. And I doubt that the ones buying up guns are the types to turn tail when presented with the opportunity to kill someone and be hailed as a hero.

EDIT: Okay, that's not fair. I know there are many people who carry guns to protect themselves and their loved ones, and pray that they will never need to do so. And some of them have good reason to be prepared.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 05:38:20 am by Folly »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32020 on: September 02, 2019, 03:28:14 am »

Trump made a statement that he's never heard of a Category 5 hurricane.

I mentioned this to co-workers and they said he's just ignorant. However ... this isn't the first time he's said that. He said the same thing 1 year ago and again 6 months ago, plus he said it back in 2017 too. This is the fourth Cat 5 hurricane that's hit since Trump got in office, and each time he says he's never heard of a Cat 5 hurricane. This isn't ignorance, it's dementia onset: the lack of the ability to retain new information while having decent recall of information that was imprinted in earlier life (i.e. he always remembers that Cat 4 hurricanes exist, but he can't form a new memory that Cat 5 is a thing now).

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32021 on: September 02, 2019, 03:31:15 am »

Maybe we'll get lucky and he'll forget that he's the president, and then he'll wonder where he is, leave the white house, and everyone that insists that he is the president gets dismissed as he goes back to incompetently running his business.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #32022 on: September 02, 2019, 05:40:44 am »

There are all kinds of people out there. And I doubt that the ones buying up guns are the types to turn tail when presented with the opportunity to kill someone and be hailed as a hero.
They probably are, though, or something to similar effect. Gun hoarding doesn't particularly make you any better at responding to that sort of attack than non-hoarders. About the only thing that does is near-constant training, of the sort that not even most cops or military get.

Firearms are honestly kinda' shit for self-defense, and the issues involved in drawing, aiming, actually pulling the trigger, all from a cold start, especially all while everyone around you is panicking... it doesn't fucking matter what "type" you (think you) are, by that point you're probably already shot or too flustered to get a shot off. More likely you just run and hide, especially initially, and a pile of longarms back home isn't going change that.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #32023 on: September 02, 2019, 10:40:48 pm »

hey, if they all shoot each other there are fewer morons voting for republicans

Huh, I've now been confronted with the image of many of my friends (those who would vote for Republicans) being shot. And also the suggestion that this would be a good thing. What a great image to have in my head. Thanks a lot.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #32024 on: September 02, 2019, 10:47:54 pm »

hey, if they all shoot each other there are fewer morons voting for republicans

Huh, I've now been confronted with the image of many of my friends (those who would vote for Republicans) being shot. And also the suggestion that this would be a good thing. What a great image to have in my head. Thanks a lot.

The context being that they are mostly shot by each other as the result of an environment that they openly advocate for.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.
Pages: 1 ... 2133 2134 [2135] 2136 2137 ... 3566