Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2132 2133 [2134] 2135 2136 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4196740 times)

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #31995 on: August 30, 2019, 06:05:38 pm »

It's stupid, but we've had examples of sat photos in the past that have had similar quality. I don't think he's revealed anything new, as far as capabilities go. It's very much expected that they can do far better than even that example in his tweet.

EDIT: http://english.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2017/12/26/2017122601156.html
Here's an example from a couple of years ago where satellite photos were used to read the name off the side of a ship
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 06:21:55 pm by sluissa »

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #31996 on: August 30, 2019, 09:13:58 pm »

I mean, those are comparable, though the photo in Iran is clearly better.

It is possible that it's a satellite image that's been cleaned up by a neural network -- human or AI.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #31997 on: August 30, 2019, 10:12:18 pm »

This photo reveals a lot about the technical capabilities (probably a drone) of the asset that captured it. Not only can you get good info on the optics, but the photo has enough information to determine the precise location of the asset at the time the photo was taken - which could give Iran (and thus Russia and/or China. knowledge like this is very valuable) a big leg up in detecting future surveillance if they kept good recordings of their sensor data.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31998 on: August 30, 2019, 10:16:46 pm »

If it had been video, they could deduce the orbit/flightpath of the asset as well.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31999 on: August 30, 2019, 11:15:48 pm »

I highly doubt they'd do that to anything that they actually want to get data from. A neural network might be able to "fill things in", but not in a way that'll retain necessary accuracy.

There's also the question of why, if someone did provide such a photograph as an input to a neural network, the output would be an image. I could see using one to determine the probability that a given image contains a tank or a plane or something, even if partly obscured, but in such a case you'd probably want to read out those probabilities directly rather than trying to fill in the image and in so doing invite people to draw conclusions from doctored pixels.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 11:18:21 pm by Trekkin »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32000 on: August 30, 2019, 11:28:44 pm »

The AI could be used to draw attention to regions of the original image for human evaluation. That would be a useful function, yeah. I could totally see that.  But altering the dataset before human eyes are on it properly is dangerous in so many ways.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32001 on: August 30, 2019, 11:47:02 pm »

"Enhance!"
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32002 on: August 30, 2019, 11:53:38 pm »

« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 11:55:23 pm by wierd »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32003 on: August 31, 2019, 01:45:46 am »

"Any more remarks like that and I'll ask for an A3 out of your waste disposal"
nghgng
I love Rimmer's humor, though.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

thompson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32004 on: September 01, 2019, 06:42:15 am »

You're underestimating AI image enhancement. I won't go into details, but think of it like this: Your surveillance satellite will have multiple cameras which are likely optimised to collect information at different wavelengths of light. These wavelengths interact slightly differently with the atmosphere. You also take many different pictures over the time your asset is passing overhead. Each individual image is highly distorted. However, you can correct for fluctuations as you have many independent measurements that are distorted in different ways. There's zero chance a human is combining those images: Software AI is doing that.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32005 on: September 01, 2019, 03:55:54 pm »

Nobody’s talking about the latest shooting which apparently started as a traffic stop and somehow the person decided to go on a shooting rampage? Though it’s not clear yet whether that person was about to do a mass shooting anyway and their plans got thrown.

Anyways, https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/01/politics/texas-state-rep-praying-for-protection-shooting/index.html

When are religious people, politicians in particular, going to realize that god does not work like DnD?

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32006 on: September 01, 2019, 04:02:52 pm »

and now they are allowing guns in churches and schools, because why NOT make the problem worse, hey, if they all shoot each other there are fewer morons voting for republicans

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32007 on: September 01, 2019, 04:06:38 pm »

and now they are allowing guns in churches and schools, because why NOT make the problem worse, hey, if they all shoot each other there are fewer morons voting for republicans
I agree this will not help, but I think their idea is that if someone wants to kill people, targets armed with guns would be harder targets

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32008 on: September 01, 2019, 04:22:08 pm »

I agree this will not help, but I think their idea is that if someone wants to kill people, targets armed with guns would be harder targets

Except that every active shooter that I know of have either been taken down by the cops or taken their own lives. If there’s been an active shooter taken down by a Jane/joe random, I don’t know of it.

Also, I bet that a significant people on the road had guns for the west Texas shooter, but that didn’t stop them did it.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32009 on: September 01, 2019, 04:40:55 pm »

In Sydney Australia there was a guy who killed one woman with a knife (in an apartment) then went on a knife rampage. Bystanders took him down with a milk crate and a chair.
Pages: 1 ... 2132 2133 [2134] 2135 2136 ... 3566