Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2051 2052 [2053] 2054 2055 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4211802 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #30780 on: June 21, 2019, 08:00:24 pm »

Actually no, ICE's job of racist murder and terrorizing does not need to be done.

Yeah, gonna have to agree with that.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30781 on: June 21, 2019, 08:20:03 pm »

Holy shit actual activity, and it only took three fucking years

The concentration camps weren't enough for you, then?

lmao okay, arresting people for committing crimes means that you must be literally Hitler. As to enough, the country still has as "little" as 12 million and as many as 22 million illegal aliens living here. 4-7% of the total population aren't even supposed to be here. I should say that no, it is not enough.

Actually no, ICE's job of racist murder and terrorizing does not need to be done.

What are the benefits of having an open border to the average American?
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #30782 on: June 21, 2019, 08:28:58 pm »

As far as rhetorical devices go, your insistence upon "just asking questions" could do with some variance. Have I ever bothered to play along with this? Hell, has anybody in this thread?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30783 on: June 21, 2019, 08:42:12 pm »

lmao okay, arresting people for committing crimes means that you must be literally Hitler. As to enough, the country still has as "little" as 12 million and as many as 22 million illegal aliens living here. 4-7% of the total population aren't even supposed to be here. I should say that no, it is not enough.

I wasn't calling you Hitler. I was referring to the actual concentration camps filled with kids DOJ is currently arguing they shouldn't have to give toothbrushes to. If that's not deterrent enough, it's fair to ask what would be.

But, to address your broader mockery, yes, there are crimes where arrests aren't warranted. Nobody's calling for homeowners to be raided at night over zoning violations, for example. The only thing that simplistic "all crime must be punished" reasoning does is provide a rhetorical shield for racism and class warfare. Immigration laws are, in the final analysis, malum prohibitum. They're there because they have to be for the legal system to work, not because failing to navigate our byzantine immigration system is somehow inherently immoral, and in light of that, yes, arrests aren't really warranted in many cases.

It doesn't make anybody comfortable, but in a legal system administered by fallible humans using laws written by other fallible humans, there's a certain amount of crime, particularly technical crime, that it's probably better to let slide. You don't want to pay enough cops to catch every speeder there ever will be and issue every concievable parking ticket. You don't want everyone's home raided all the time just in case there might be drugs there. You don't want compliance with every single applicable regulation to be constantly checked and re-checked for every bit of activity anyone ever does. That would be not only an inefficient use of public money but massively invasive. Immigration laws are kind of like that, I think; beyond a certain point, we do more harm ripping communities apart than we do just admitting our immigration system sucks and letting people work.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30784 on: June 21, 2019, 08:48:49 pm »

I'd argue that limiting immigration isn't as much of a vital thing as people seem to assume.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30785 on: June 21, 2019, 09:01:27 pm »

I wasn't calling you Hitler. I was referring to the actual concentration camps filled with kids DOJ is currently arguing they shouldn't have to give toothbrushes to. If that's not deterrent enough, it's fair to ask what would be.

But, to address your broader mockery, yes, there are crimes where arrests aren't warranted. Nobody's calling for homeowners to be raided at night over zoning violations, for example. The only thing that simplistic "all crime must be punished" reasoning does is provide a rhetorical shield for racism and class warfare. Immigration laws are, in the final analysis, malum prohibitum. They're there because they have to be for the legal system to work, not because failing to navigate our byzantine immigration system is somehow inherently immoral, and in light of that, yes, arrests aren't really warranted in many cases.

It doesn't make anybody comfortable, but in a legal system administered by fallible humans using laws written by other fallible humans, there's a certain amount of crime, particularly technical crime, that it's probably better to let slide. You don't want to pay enough cops to catch every speeder there ever will be and issue every concievable parking ticket. You don't want everyone's home raided all the time just in case there might be drugs there. You don't want compliance with every single applicable regulation to be constantly checked and re-checked for every bit of activity anyone ever does. That would be not only an inefficient use of public money but massively invasive. Immigration laws are kind of like that, I think; beyond a certain point, we do more harm ripping communities apart than we do just admitting our immigration system sucks and letting people work.

Except, unlike all the other examples, there aren't anybody being as hardcore draconian enforcement on regulations, having everybodys home raided, enforcing every single molecule of every regulation, etc, as hardcore immigration hawks are on immigration. While they would agree with you with you as far as being hardcore draconian on regulations etc, they don't see the harm in ripping communities apart, which is the whole problem since they see the hardcore draconian methods as not only acceptable, but neccesary.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #30786 on: June 21, 2019, 09:22:55 pm »

Reminder that ICE was founded only 16 years ago.  Unless you think immigration was a much worse problem prior to 2003, then I'm not sure what argument there is for the agency being totally necessary.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #30787 on: June 21, 2019, 09:28:51 pm »

While they would agree with you with you as far as being hardcore draconian on regulations etc, they don't see the harm in ripping communities apart, which is the whole problem since they see the hardcore draconian methods as not only acceptable, but neccesary.
What? No, these sorts have been caught out repeatedly saying they understand quite well the harm involved and it's part of what they're explicitly trying to do. Cruelty is literally the point of a lot of what modern anti-immigration hawks are peddling. "Deterrent", as if that somehow reduces the moral culpability in heaping unethical bullshit on the vulnerable.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30788 on: June 21, 2019, 09:38:03 pm »

As far as rhetorical devices go, your insistence upon "just asking questions" could do with some variance. Have I ever bothered to play along with this? Hell, has anybody in this thread?

Posts like that one strike me as combative and as much as I want to respond I know that will only get me b& for causing trouble. Asking you to justify your pronouncements allows for an actual discussion rather than me just calling you names or you accusing me of putting words in your mouth/acting in bad faith.

I don't think you can really call sneaking across the border, or overstaying a temporary visa because you would simply prefer to stay in the United States a "technical crime" that really anyone could make the mistake of committing. The reason we have immigration laws isn't just for procedural convenience, it's to control immigration for the benefit of the host country. Immigration has powerful economic, political, and sociological effects, and it can do (and I would argue is doing) serious harm if it's poorly controlled. As an American I have serious doubts about the benefits to the nation to admitting these people, or even the position of just focusing on securing the border and letting them be if they manage to make it in and don't cause too much trouble that many center-right people seem to be coming around to. If I were a Democratic politician, a Southern Republican politician, a businessman who employs a lot of low-skill workers maybe I could see some personal benefit, but I have yet to hear a convincing argument that the average person is helped out by this at all, let alone to a degree that outweighs the negatives. The immigrants themselves benefit I guess, but that just makes the question "why does the government of the USA care more about the citizens of other countries' wellbeing than its own?"

It's also true that there is a limit to what constitutes a reasonable effort to enforce a law, but leaving the realm of the theoretical and considering our practical position, we are nowhere near that point when it comes to immigration. The situation is so out of control that portions of the country are essentially being colonized by foreigners, and portions of the legal system are engaging in """""civil disobedience""""" to hamper the enforcement of even the gimped rules we have now. We have a serious problem, and we won't help ourselves by getting less serious about solving it.

While they would agree with you with you as far as being hardcore draconian on regulations etc, they don't see the harm in ripping communities apart, which is the whole problem since they see the hardcore draconian methods as not only acceptable, but neccesary.
What? No, these sorts have been caught out repeatedly saying they understand quite well the harm involved and it's part of what they're explicitly trying to do. Cruelty is literally the point of a lot of what modern anti-immigration hawks are peddling. "Deterrent", as if that somehow reduces the moral culpability in heaping unethical bullshit on the vulnerable.

You're not wrong. Really what we should be trying to do is restructure the system so being here illegally is as inconvenient and carries as few benefits as possible. Punishing employers who hire them is one thing, though it's been tried many times and rarely succeeds. Changing to a restricted lex soli like Australia and most European countries have that requires at least one of your parents be a citizen would be another. Maybe making transfers of money outside the country harder is an avenue to examine as well.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 09:39:59 pm by Baffler »
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #30789 on: June 21, 2019, 09:45:16 pm »

Yeah, no. The vast majority of the people that came to this country throughout our history didn't have to deal with even half that bullshit. I'll not piss on my ancestors graves by trying to make the lives of people doing what they did even more miserable, personally. They'll have enough trouble without the extra help.

Bonus points, our ancestors already handled most of the conveniently accessible genocide, so we can even skip that step. It'll be appealingly mediocre!
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #30790 on: June 21, 2019, 09:50:33 pm »

Posts like that one strike me as combative and as much as I want to respond I know that will only get me b& for causing trouble. Asking you to justify your pronouncements allows for an actual discussion rather than me just calling you names or you accusing me of putting words in your mouth/acting in bad faith.

That's ok.  Nobody needs to call you names when you make posts like this one.

I interrupt your shouting to bring you a news update, if not already posted: ICE predawn raids sunday morning.

Holy shit actual activity, and it only took three fucking years

You're not wrong. Really what we should be trying to do is restructure the system so being here illegally is as inconvenient and carries as few benefits as possible. Punishing employers who hire them is one thing, though it's been tried many times and rarely succeeds. Changing to a restricted lex soli like Australia and most European countries have that requires at least one of your parents be a citizen would be another. Maybe making transfers of money outside the country harder is an avenue to examine as well.

Or...

We could stop going out of our way to fuck over places so that people want to flee them.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30791 on: June 21, 2019, 10:00:54 pm »

Yeah, no. The vast majority of the people that came to this country throughout our history didn't have to deal with even half that bullshit. I'll not piss on my ancestors graves by trying to make the lives of people doing what they did even more miserable, personally. They'll have enough trouble without the extra help.

Bonus points, our ancestors already handled most of the conveniently accessible genocide, so we can even skip that step. It'll be appealingly mediocre!

Again with the "deport illegals == genocide." It's not clever, it's just an appeal to emotion that doesn't have any relation to what's actually happening. It doesn't suddenly become wrong to get rid of them once they reach some nebulous critical mass. If the system is that saturated with illegals it's cause to increase the efforts to getting rid of them, because it clearly isn't enough to meet the demands placed upon it as-is.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30792 on: June 21, 2019, 10:45:04 pm »

Again with the "deport illegals == genocide." It's not clever, it's just an appeal to emotion that doesn't have any relation to what's actually happening. It doesn't suddenly become wrong to get rid of them once they reach some nebulous critical mass. If the system is that saturated with illegals it's cause to increase the efforts to getting rid of them, because it clearly isn't enough to meet the demands placed upon it as-is.

Okay!

Quick recap.
Tha Guardian:

In 2000, however, more than 1.6 million illegal border crossers were apprehended. In 2001, the figure was 1.3 million.
Unlike adults crossing the border looking for work, families with children and individuals seeking asylum cannot be deported quickly; asylum takes months and years in immigration court.

Adults are often detained for the duration of the legal process, but current law forbids the government from detaining children for long periods.

The government can detain families together, but it doesn’t have nearly enough space to hold all of the families now coming. CBP apprehension statisticsreleased on Tuesday for fiscal year 2018 show steep increases in recent months – mostly families with children – a total of 16,658 people in September alone.

So, long story short, camps and facilities with terrible conditions are holding families in shitty conditions.
Just like the asian-american internment camps.
Which were cocentration camps.
Hence, the camps in the desert holding migrants are concentration camps.

Per the whole genocide thing, Frumple said nothing about deportation equalling genocide.

That said, there are several high up staffers who want to avoid having "brown" immigrants.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #30793 on: June 21, 2019, 11:01:52 pm »

As for Nenjin and Trekkin, I don't have time to deal with your fox-news propoganda. I'm trying to stop a war. If you'd like to contribute to that, please do by going out and protesting in any way, shape or form, as soon as possible. We can all agree that we don't want another generations-long-war in the middle east, to gain nothing.

I’m a liberal Democrat. And your attitude is the reason people are sick of liberals. Your protests mean exactly nothing to the powers that be. Just keep making an enemy out of everyone who doesn’t exactly share your ideology. I’m sure that will work out in the end.

Ironic that when I finally get around to responding, you’re the one calling for people to enhance their calm. Sheesh.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 11:09:45 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #30794 on: June 21, 2019, 11:18:54 pm »

My bad.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 2051 2052 [2053] 2054 2055 ... 3566