Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2033 2034 [2035] 2036 2037 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4207239 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #30510 on: June 02, 2019, 03:13:24 pm »

Democracy does not flourish if rural people are given 30 times the voting power of urban people out of some misplaced nostalgia for a pro-slavery compromise.

Neither does it do so if we keep insisting that people who live in rural areas are "total buffoons" who shouldn't have any say, simply because they inconveniently voted for someone we don't like.

Or simply because of where they live. I agree that the sheer # of counties in low population states does give an advantage to rural voters and politics. But people do live there, and the reality at one end of the state may not the same as reality at the other end, so they need some kind of distinct representation.

This isn't just a state to state problem though. it's intrastate. I do live in Nebraska. Lincoln and Omaha are its two principle cities, and are basically liberal enclaves in an otherwise red state. We have just over half the population I believe but the state always goes red, because even the enclaves aren't uniform in their distribution. Because we have like 30 other counties in the state, some with less than 1000 people.

Or take California for example, an even more extreme one. I hear about California rural rednecks all the time as an actual demographic, even though when most people think California they only think of the cities.

Either way, rural or urban, one is going see the other as tyrannical. Either city dwellers are going to view rural policy as ignorant and out of touch with how "most people" live their lives, or rural dwellers are going to see urban policy and opinion as out of touch with how they live their lives, first and foremost, and how "everyone not living in a city" lives their lives.

Whatever my opinions and beliefs, if you take the phrase "it's only "x" number of people.....", it generally does not come across well regardless of the circumstances. If marginalizing the votes of "only a few hundred black people" is horrible and wrong, you can't take the stance that marginalizing the votes of "a few hundred elderly white folks in the panhandle" is somehow ok. Math is not my strong suit but whether you give each county its vote or conglomerate the counties in to one larger vote against the larger counties....I think the result still comes out the same. Unless we're going to start qualifying the weight of an individual vote based on where you live or whatever politics are prevailing (yikes!), the fact that some people live over here and live one way and other folks live other there a different way is going to remain. What is an equitable solution?

There's also probably a middle ground between the rural 20% of America having a Senate majority and them having no say whatsoever. In an ideal democracy, you could arguably expect the Apparently Rural Buffoons Party to have 20 Senate seats, not 53.

Again, take Nebraska as an example. Even within Lancaster County, which is as liberal as it gets in Nebraska, is 53% Republican and 36% Democrat (2016 data), with most Democrats living in Lincoln, the capital city. So it's not just "rural people" and I feel like with all we've seen in the Trump years, it's antiquated to keep putting it forward like that. Rural Republican voters are the base, but it's the urban, educated, white collar Republicans that have tipped the balance. But another way, I think you're less likely to find a Liberal Democrat out in the boonies than you are to find a staunch Conservative Republican living in the cities. At least around here. We're not a coastal city where the Liberalism swings toward the extremes, although we see a bit of it here in Lincoln being a college town and capital city and all that.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 03:18:16 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30511 on: June 02, 2019, 03:13:39 pm »

At least until the Dems control it. Then it'll be fine.
The senate has been broken for a long time, I'm no fan of it at all.
If this body is not capable of action, I suggest new leadership is needed. I move for a Vote of No Confidence in President Trump's leadership.

Maybe then he will bring balance to the force by killing Marth Duro.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #30512 on: June 02, 2019, 03:16:36 pm »

Democracy does not flourish if rural people are given 30 times the voting power of urban people out of some misplaced nostalgia for a pro-slavery compromise.

Neither does it do so if we keep insisting that people who live in rural areas are "total buffoons" who shouldn't have any say, simply because they inconveniently voted for someone we don't like.

To be fair, I think Karnewarrior was just bemoaning a general problem with democracy, and one that's been known since antiquity: giving equal power to everyone necessarily means giving the least informed person a say equal to the most informed person. You're the one who made the leap to the buffoons being specifically rural.

There's also probably a middle ground between the rural 20% of America having a Senate majority and them having no say whatsoever. In an ideal democracy, you could arguably expect the Apparently Rural Buffoons Party to have 20 Senate seats, not 53.
Thank you.
Yes, it had nothing to do with rural people, who can be quite intelligent. Nor does it have to do with urban people, who can be quite dumb. It has to do with people who jump to conclusions doing their jumps with the apparatus of state, in favor of one thing or another that isn't properly thought out.

Equal rights doesn't necessarily guarantee even an even distribution of resources, much less an equal playing field from birth. Some people, in pretty much any group larger than three, are going to be dumber than a box of rocks but think their hotter than a jar of chili peppers, and those people, given enough voice, can bugger the whole system for the rest of us.

Not sure what noticing that has to do with urban or rural populations.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #30513 on: June 02, 2019, 04:17:56 pm »

Worst of all is when people in power are blatant examples of the Dunning-Krueger effect, which Trump is the fucking avatar of, stupid fuckboi has no clue how stupid he is, and is only just barely aware of it to make him insecure enough to run around screaming how smart he is.

Trump is a petulant fucking child, I'll be glad when he fucks off or has a heart attack but beyond the general simmering ire I have for all old white men I can't give a particular fuck.

McConnell is actively evil, I'll celebrate the day he dies as a holiday.

I wouldn't help either of them up from a ledge, but I'm goddamn stomping on McConnell's fingers first.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30514 on: June 02, 2019, 04:30:26 pm »

I assumed your post was in the same thread of conversation as the 'garbage state' thing. That is why I made the connection.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30515 on: June 02, 2019, 05:08:23 pm »

Hey like I said, the vast majority of Texas is garbage, I'm not denying that, I'm just pointing out it's better garbage because it's Texan.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #30516 on: June 02, 2019, 05:59:26 pm »

You mean it's bigger garbage because it's Texan.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30517 on: June 02, 2019, 06:12:42 pm »

Bigger is better.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30518 on: June 02, 2019, 06:27:47 pm »

@Max: I get the frustration about Republicans and conservatives, but I’d be careful about making the same mistake as ‘basket of deplorables’.

Anyways, until we all live in mega cities that grow their own food via vertical farms, there’s always going to be a rural/urban split, even then though, a new analogous split would probably work it’s way in somewhere.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30519 on: June 03, 2019, 01:21:07 am »

Eh, I'm open about the targets of my disgust and will remain as such until someone gives me reason to think otherwise about old white people, boomers in particular, coming from the kids of the greatest generation we got the worstest generation and they're determined to fuck over everyone they can before they go.

Arguably it's probably a big part my fault, gen x made it so easy for hateful bullshit to get spread around, we never stopped to ask if we should!

We didn't know!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #30520 on: June 03, 2019, 04:12:37 am »

Oh please, have the courage to say the truth: a theocratic monarchy headed by a god-king, with a strict ethno-religious caste system underneath is vastly superior to western democracy
Just as long as you also include unaccountable secret police and supersoldiers, sounds bretty good. I imagine it'd create a future of only peace

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30521 on: June 03, 2019, 06:47:48 am »

The media sure is drumming up the specter of a US recession now.  It's always interesting to me because, as much as there are indeed tangible aspects of the business cycle, the media seems to amplify the business cycles (instead of dampen them). After all, a fair portion of the business cycle is sentiment - the causality / feedback between reality and media is an interesting one.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30522 on: June 03, 2019, 08:51:17 am »

I wouldn't be surprised if media discussion pushed it over the edge, but then it feels like people have been murmuring about one for 5 years now so who knows.

I wonder if a real recession would materially impact Trump's approval rating, or reelection chance since the two are not necessarily strongly related.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30523 on: June 03, 2019, 09:05:46 am »

I wonder if a real recession would materially impact Trump's approval rating, or reelection chance since the two are not necessarily strongly related.

Of course not.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #30524 on: June 03, 2019, 09:11:24 am »

I think the camps have been the same for the past two years. The undecideds are probably so few and far between they won't have that much of an impact.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.
Pages: 1 ... 2033 2034 [2035] 2036 2037 ... 3566