Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2021 2022 [2023] 2024 2025 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4204219 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #30330 on: May 22, 2019, 01:11:36 pm »

Obama's congress literally stole a supreme court justice, to give some context as to how much they were willing to compromise.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #30331 on: May 22, 2019, 01:29:03 pm »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2019/05/20/what-happened-all-trumps-infrastructure-weeks-trump-happened/

Speaking of branches of government not doing their jobs, Trump declined to do an important planned infrastructure meeting today. Trump says it's because infrastructure and investigations just don't mix. The Dem's are saying it's because he has no idea how to get the $2 trillion that he wants to spend.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30332 on: May 22, 2019, 01:49:07 pm »

I can't help but wonder if Pelosi intentionally sunk that one because she had to have known how Trump would react. It actually seems like it might have been planned independently on both sides, which is just nuts.

Also, the debt ceiling deadline is being moved up earlier than thought, sometime in late summer. I know nobody truly wants a default, but I wouldn't put it past Trump to pull some sort of desperate move that ends up going past it.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #30333 on: May 22, 2019, 02:03:58 pm »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2019/05/20/what-happened-all-trumps-infrastructure-weeks-trump-happened/

Speaking of branches of government not doing their jobs, Trump declined to do an important planned infrastructure meeting today. Trump says it's because infrastructure and investigations just don't mix. The Dem's are saying it's because he has no idea how to get the $2 trillion that he wants to spend.

He didn't know how to pay for it 2 years ago when it was just $1 trillion. He wants to cut other stuff from the budget rather than raise taxes to pay for it.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #30334 on: May 22, 2019, 02:50:52 pm »

But what if the incentive to compromise has been removed via other means before that? It's a chicken-egg scenario. Obama did his EO (though some Dems did say that doing that was too much) because he was frustrated at Congress and Congress was refusing to compromise. I know it's more complex than just not compromising, but theres a feedback effect here since both actions feed off of each other. Basically, what if saying 'if Congress won't act, I will!' is a sign of a broken Congress rather than the other way around? Though I suppose it'd be a sign that both are broken, which comes right back to the chicken-egg thing.

You aren't wrong, but you don't fix a building by hacking away at the load-bearing walls - not without reinforcing them first, at least. That reinforcement is exactly what happened in 1860, when Lincoln actually needed near-imperial power to fight the Civil War. SCOTUS threw out most of his attempts to take it directly, then Congress voted him such powers in an explicitly limited timeframe. The solution to a broken Congress, especially for a sitting Congresswoman, is to address the structural problems, not simply declare "Congress is broken, so I'll throw it away if you put me in charge."
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30335 on: May 22, 2019, 02:57:41 pm »

fuck it, let's just get an emperor /s

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30336 on: May 22, 2019, 03:11:04 pm »

I get your point, though addressing the problem is going to require consistent leadership on both sides or some sort of coalition with both sides because without that, both the load bearing walls and the reinforcement get rotted away and you can't just reinforce on one side as it ends up being unstable. The extended metaphor kind of gets mangled when you translate it into politics, but you probably get the idea.

Anyways, I've mostly heard about EOs getting proposed being used for gun control and climate change, so, it sounds more like pandering to the base atm, if anything. It'll likely start showing up in the debates if she is actually serious about it.

fuck it, let's just get an emperor/empress /s

FIFY, lol.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30337 on: May 23, 2019, 12:47:17 am »

I can't help but wonder if Pelosi intentionally sunk that one because she had to have known how Trump would react. It actually seems like it might have been planned independently on both sides, which is just nuts.

What would it have looked like if she didn't, though? Democrats weren't even meaningfully involved in the meeting; there was no meeting before it became a tantrum, if you believe their account, and even if not it's hard to explain the slides and the brevity of the meeting any other way. In a larger sense, of course he'd pull something like this. He always rants and attacks when he's worried.

I guess maybe she could have sunk it just by attending, since he's so reliably triggered by women with thoughts, but how do you talk about a $2 trillion infrastructure package without the heads of both houses of Congress?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #30338 on: May 23, 2019, 03:49:47 am »

What would it have looked like if she didn't, though? Democrats weren't even meaningfully involved in the meeting; there was no meeting before it became a tantrum, if you believe their account, and even if not it's hard to explain the slides and the brevity of the meeting any other way. In a larger sense, of course he'd pull something like this. He always rants and attacks when he's worried.

I guess maybe she could have sunk it just by attending, since he's so reliably triggered by women with thoughts, but how do you talk about a $2 trillion infrastructure package without the heads of both houses of Congress?

The way I understand it:
  • Trump, Schumer, and Pelosi have infrastructure meeting planned for the day.
  • Pelosi gets out of a Democrat meeting and tells the press she thinks Trump's doing a coverup.
  • Schumer and Pelosi show up for infrastructure meeting.
  • Trump arrives and says he won't work under these conditions, tells them to finish their "investigations" first, then leaves.
  • Pelosi acts baffled as to why Trump cancelled the infrastructure meeting, offers her prayers.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 03:57:49 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #30339 on: May 23, 2019, 06:41:09 am »

Pelosi didn't say she thinks Trump is doing a coverup. Pelosi mentioned that Trump has done a coverup. We're well past acknowledging this as fact by now.

And even if it was just Dem's spreading nasty baseless rumors, that's just the way politics are, and it's no excuse for shirking his responsibility of managing trillions of dollars that hundreds of millions of people are trusting him to use for essential infrastructure spending. Disaster victims are literally relying on him right now and he's acting like a spoiled brat.

Cheesy Honkers

• Bay Watcher
  • eat the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #30340 on: May 23, 2019, 09:59:05 am »

sing us a song you're the orange man, sing us a song tonight

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30341 on: May 23, 2019, 10:33:50 am »

Pelosi didn't say she thinks Trump is doing a coverup. Pelosi mentioned that Trump has done a coverup. We're well past acknowledging this as fact by now.

And even if it was just Dem's spreading nasty baseless rumors, that's just the way politics are, and it's no excuse for shirking his responsibility of managing trillions of dollars that hundreds of millions of people are trusting him to use for essential infrastructure spending. Disaster victims are literally relying on him right now and he's acting like a spoiled brat.

Either way, it's a mess because Trump has skin thinner than rice paper.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #30342 on: May 23, 2019, 09:18:18 pm »

U.S. Justice Dept just unveiled 17 more charges against Assange.  So yet another in a long line of I-told-you-so's against those who initially bought the obvious lie and decried alarmism over one minor charge worth only a few years.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #30343 on: May 23, 2019, 09:26:34 pm »

... did anyone here actually do that? I might have been one of like two people that mentioned the charge as-is wasn't out of line or whatever, and I'm pretty sure I noted that if shit changed and other charges dropped, the situation would, y'know, change.

Innit he still not extradited, anyway? Considering the new charges appear to be under the espionage act the UK might not even be allowed to extradite under their laws in the face of that. Someone or another on that side of the pond has some kind of restriction on doing that in the face of a potential death sentence, iirc.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30344 on: May 23, 2019, 09:38:23 pm »

It's notable, and probably telling, that many of the charges are centered around Manning, like they need to get Assanage in order to get Manning or something. He hasn't been extradited yet AFAIK.
Pages: 1 ... 2021 2022 [2023] 2024 2025 ... 3566