Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2019 2020 [2021] 2022 2023 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4204127 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #30300 on: May 20, 2019, 08:22:00 pm »

Harris is my absolute no-go, but after only a couple weeks of the Biden campaign and its supporters I'm about 95% of the way there with him too. No more blackmail. You can't evolve if you keep capitulating.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #30301 on: May 20, 2019, 08:31:08 pm »

I know I've returned to this point many times here, but yeah... the DNC has to learn that it can't use the threat of republicans to walk all over us.  We already have major media outlets misrepresenting poll data to favor another shitty establishment candidate who will give lip service to social justice while materially advancing the USA's slide into fascism.  They're going to try to fuck up the primaries again, and force us to face the same ultimatum of "Us or them and you know you hate them more".  We can't afford to keep supporting people who are killing us just because they do so with better manners.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #30302 on: May 20, 2019, 09:00:47 pm »

Like. As near as I've noticed the DNC fucking hasn't been pushing biden much or at all, so far. Current polling is due almost entirely to name recognition, what with us being something like nine gods damned months out from the first actual vote, and there's been little to no major campaigning as of yet. It's one of the reasons there's apparently major overlap between professed Biden supporters and professed Bernie ones. It's literally because they're the ones whose names people fucking recognize. We're still months out from major shifts and campaigning alignments and shit.

Though yeah I'm not voting for a fucking 70 year old fossil in the primary, for what that's worth. Not biden, not bernie, not whatever that other ancient bugger is (gavel?). Either end up being the nom and they'll get my vote in the general but to hell with that shit for the primary.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 09:30:09 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30304 on: May 20, 2019, 10:45:33 pm »

I will not vote for biden.

I will support either Sanders or Warren, but not Biden. 

Yes, All three of those choices are desiccated old crow. Show me a reasonable alternative.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30305 on: May 20, 2019, 10:50:20 pm »

I'd vote for a crow.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #30306 on: May 21, 2019, 12:32:42 am »

I hope Biden doesn't win but I'm not *too* worried.  If this is anything like the last few Republican primaries we're going to have several frontrunners before this is over.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #30307 on: May 21, 2019, 02:08:14 am »

Warren murdered her campaign by publicly shaking a fist at the big boys, there's no way in hell The Money is going to let her even get close to a position where she could put any of those plans into motion.

I would fucking love to see her try, though. Can you imagine the chaos?

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #30308 on: May 21, 2019, 02:11:14 am »

I really pisses me off that one of the big problems with the Democratic party in 2016 was "there's nobody in the party between 35 and 75." And in the past two fucking years, the DNC hasn't been able to fill that gap. Are there literally 0 middle-aged democrats?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #30309 on: May 21, 2019, 07:15:02 am »

There's twenty three declared candidates right now. 9 -- about 39%, more than a third, less than half -- are under 50. There's middle-aged democrats, they're just currently not as well known overall.

E: And for what it's worth, only 6 are over 60, only 3 over 70. You have 9 under 50, 6 over 60, and 7 in their 50s... also there's apparently someone I'm missing but that doesn't actually change much. Most of the candidates are under 60, better than a supermajority under 70.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 07:30:33 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30310 on: May 21, 2019, 11:37:57 am »

I was hoping someone of a...different nationality ...would be the front runner for democrats

Instead its more power to what is already leading. I was hoping the democrat party would have put in someone else that would have really made a statement to the changing of times in 2019/2020 and beyond. But instead its the same ole same ole like we have had every single time except once.

Different nationality? Only American born citizens can become President, and it's okay to say 'person of color'.

Who actually prefers Joe Biden? I've never met a single person who likes him more than Bernie, for example. Where are the people who're polling for him?

Biden will win the primary anyway, even if he really shouldn't.

I like him in terms of Trump being scared of him, but it's not set in stone, what with the first votes being more than a half year away. Plus, the not-Clinton vote is how we got Trump, so, that kind of thinking isn't neccesarily a good way to choose a candidate.

Harris is my absolute no-go, but after only a couple weeks of the Biden campaign and its supporters I'm about 95% of the way there with him too. No more blackmail. You can't evolve if you keep capitulating.

What's the problem with Harris? She did say that Biden would make a nice running mate, don't know what was up with that, sarcasm maybe?

We're what, a year out at this point? People calling anything for anybody right now are insane or trying to pull one on you or both.

As for Biden, this is a good breakdown as to why he's strong now and why he might not be as strong later.

Now, if I had to choose? I have a soft spot for anti-monopoly policies, so I'd have to go Warren.

More like about 9 months out. At this point in 2015-2016, people were all "It's going to be a clash of dynasties!", we know how that prediction turned out.

I really pisses me off that one of the big problems with the Democratic party in 2016 was "there's nobody in the party between 35 and 75." And in the past two fucking years, the DNC hasn't been able to fill that gap. Are there literally 0 middle-aged democrats?
There's twenty three declared candidates right now. 9 -- about 39%, more than a third, less than half -- are under 50. There's middle-aged democrats, they're just currently not as well known overall.

E: And for what it's worth, only 6 are over 60, only 3 over 70. You have 9 under 50, 6 over 60, and 7 in their 50s... also there's apparently someone I'm missing but that doesn't actually change much. Most of the candidates are under 60, better than a supermajority under 70.

Not sure what you consider 'middle aged' PTTG, but theres plenty under 50 and a pretty broad age range.... The problem in 2016 is that Clinton and the DNC forced everybody else not named Clinton out and they're still rebuilding their bench right now. The reason that they haven't been able to fill in that gap is simply time, there are definetly a lot of young Democrats (AOC for example), it just takes time for them to get to the age 35 requirement.

Yes, the age requirement of 35 is pretty arbritrary and it could definetly be changed through constitutional amendment, but AFAIK, there isn't a serious discussion on lowering that.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #30311 on: May 21, 2019, 12:07:11 pm »

Harris's record during her time as a DA/AG is a pretty serious black mark in some ways, honestly. MSH being as virulently anti-cop as they are isn't going to be particularly fond of 'er. E: There may be more going on there, but it'd be my first guess. Harris functionally codes as 'cop', to a fair extent.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 12:17:55 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Andux

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:semicolons]
    • View Profile
    • Andux's DFWiki page
« Reply #30312 on: May 21, 2019, 01:48:51 pm »

Now, if I had to choose? I have a soft spot for anti-monopoly policies, so I'd have to go Warren.

Warren/Buttigieg FTW. I want to watch Pence squirm during the VP debates.

So, just for fun, I did a thing:
  • Mike Gravel (89) Clap for Alaska.
  • Bernie Sanders (77) #BerningSensation
  • Joe Biden (76) Establishment Pick #1 - Brought to you by Comcast.
  • Elizabeth Warren (69)
  • Jay Inslee (68)
  • John Hickenlooper (67) Hickenlooper (n.) One who loops hickens.
  • Marianne Williamson (66)
  • Amy Klobuchar (58)
  • Bill de Blasio (58) #FeelTheBlasé
  • John "First!" Delaney (56)
  • Kamala Harris (54) Establishment Pick #3
  • Michael Bennet (54)
  • Steve Bullock (53)
  • Kirsten Gillibrand (52)
  • Cory Booker (50) Establishment Pick #2
  • Beto O'Rourke (46) He was in a band, you know.
  • Tim "White Bread" Ryan (45)
  • Wayne Messam (44) Mayor of Miramar. Miramayor?
  • Julián "The Acute Accent" Castro (44)
  • Andrew "UBI" Yang (44)
  • Seth "The Moult" Moulton (40) And the award for least convincing smile goes to...
  • Eric "And I'm Eric!" Swalwell (38)
  • Tulsi Gabbard (38)
  • Pete Buttigieg (37) "Booty Judge" is 1001% the correct pronunciation; don't let anyone tell you otherwise. #FeelTheButt
(Do not sign anything.) -- Fell, Planescape: Torment

MADMAN · Save Tools · WTF Tools · Generated Raws Extractor · Tweak for 0.31–34.xx

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #30313 on: May 21, 2019, 01:52:37 pm »

Gravel's "running to lose" at least, so he will likely drop out after having his word on the debate stage. As cool as he would be as president, I'll be surprised if he makes it anywhere at all.

Buttigieg is entirely too groomed for me to like him but I don't specifically dislike him.

Biden should just stop tbh.

Warren is cool in my book. Not my first pick (I have a Berning sensation I need to see a doc about) but I admire how she talks policy.

Everyone else doesn't matter too much.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30314 on: May 21, 2019, 03:28:11 pm »

Gotta say I'm leaning towards Elizabeth "American Indian" Warren.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0
Pages: 1 ... 2019 2020 [2021] 2022 2023 ... 3566