Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2015 2016 [2017] 2018 2019 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4202944 times)

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #30240 on: May 15, 2019, 03:09:01 pm »

Somebody needs to make a secondary layer of society that can comfortably sit on top of the currently trainwrecked primary layer.  Lets call it the Federation of Humanity, and just pretend we live in a star-trek universe where we all do our best not to shit on each other.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #30241 on: May 15, 2019, 03:11:00 pm »

Somebody needs to make a secondary layer of society that can comfortably sit on top of the currently trainwrecked primary layer.  Lets call it the Federation of Humanity, and just pretend we live in a star-trek universe where we all do our best not to shit on each other.
But if we're situated directly above the other remnants of humanity, gravity will naturally cause our poo-poo to fall onto them.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30242 on: May 15, 2019, 03:18:36 pm »

But if we're situated directly above the other remnants of humanity, gravity will naturally cause our poo-poo to fall onto them.

It'll be okay because the only people left on that layer will be politicians, and they don't count as human.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #30243 on: May 15, 2019, 03:20:24 pm »

It'll be okay because the only people left on that layer will be politicians, and they don't count as human.

I think you underestimate the propensity of people to give the reigns of power to people who "know how to do it", despite evidence to the contrary, or because some nebulous "them" won't get it instead.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #30244 on: May 15, 2019, 03:26:47 pm »

So let's review

France is burning, Britain is in complete legislative paralysis, and the US is too corrupt to do anything except bomb other countries into anarchy and afflict the country with the religious whims of a small minority.

What the hell is going wrong with Democracy?
Someone famous said recently that Democracy has to be protected or it can decay... I don't remember the actual quote or who said it.

The recent blitz of bad news in the past ~3 years seems to have been a direct result of Russian intelligence efforts and Russian money.  A lot of the cold war era bad news seems to have been a direct result of what you just said: the US fucking up perfectly good democracies.

If its any consolation... non-democratic regimes seem to collapse more quickly then democratic governments.  Economically democratic countries do seem to slow the consolidation of resources into a small number of hands and thus keep democratic economies stronger.  Much as it might seem like that's not the case, remember that the worst economic inequality is NOT in democratic nations, also the US has survived ~250 years of rich people trying to take everything, which is longer than most modern governments have continuously existed.  Hell, as much as Russia might seem like they're kicking our asses, Russia is hurting too.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #30245 on: May 15, 2019, 04:27:23 pm »

So let's review

France is burning, Britain is in complete legislative paralysis, and the US is too corrupt to do anything except bomb other countries into anarchy and afflict the country with the religious whims of a small minority.

What the hell is going wrong with Democracy?
Someone famous said recently that Democracy has to be protected or it can decay... I don't remember the actual quote or who said it.

The recent blitz of bad news in the past ~3 years seems to have been a direct result of Russian intelligence efforts and Russian money.  A lot of the cold war era bad news seems to have been a direct result of what you just said: the US fucking up perfectly good democracies.

If its any consolation... non-democratic regimes seem to collapse more quickly then democratic governments.  Economically democratic countries do seem to slow the consolidation of resources into a small number of hands and thus keep democratic economies stronger.  Much as it might seem like that's not the case, remember that the worst economic inequality is NOT in democratic nations, also the US has survived ~250 years of rich people trying to take everything, which is longer than most modern governments have continuously existed.  Hell, as much as Russia might seem like they're kicking our asses, Russia is hurting too.

Somehow, that actually does help a lot.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Craftsdwarf boi

• Bay Watcher
  • Member Of the UC Dwarven Rights Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #30246 on: May 16, 2019, 06:07:29 am »

Is this mercantilism?

This is trump pretending he knows something.  He does not.
Indeed
DEATH THO THE THE IGNOBLE NOBLES
Come and amuse oneself the Game of Skirmishes and Transpiration!
...and Engine Heart!
"It was inevitable"----Urist Mcphilosopher
"Losing is !!FUN!!"-----Pretty much every forum member
"#Proletariatinsurrection"-----Every Non-noble dwarf when under rule by nobility

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30247 on: May 16, 2019, 11:34:32 am »

I mean I think a few of us will blame Capitalism and the fact that Democracy has been bought out.

Also, the US democracy was made by rich white landowners for the same (although that's no longer a requirement to vote in most places). It was designed to protect capitalists from the poors. What is wrong with people who think the US was a good idea?

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #30248 on: May 16, 2019, 02:09:44 pm »

Donald Trump just finished announcing his new immigration plan.

According to Trump the current random lottery is too discriminatory, so we will be moving to a more fair and equal system that requires immigrants to be financially self-sufficient, speak english fluently, and have a comprehensive knowledge of civics.
And of course any objection to these proposals could only be based on politics, and will require voters to reelect Trump and then elect his supporters into Congress.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #30249 on: May 16, 2019, 02:53:16 pm »

Bill de Blasio has announced that he's running, and successfully managed to seem vastly less impressive as the Mayor of New York City than Mayor of Southbend.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30250 on: May 16, 2019, 03:08:28 pm »

Donald Trump just finished announcing his new immigration plan.

According to Trump the current random lottery is too discriminatory, so we will be moving to a more fair and equal system that requires immigrants to be financially self-sufficient, speak english fluently, and have a comprehensive knowledge of civics.
And of course any objection to these proposals could only be based on politics, and will require voters to reelect Trump and then elect his supporters into Congress.

How is 'speaking English fluently' defined? Does speaking in a southern accent count? New York accent? Also, knowledge of civics, that one would certainly be a problem with just regular citizens.

Bill de Blasio has announced that he's running, and successfully managed to seem vastly less impressive as the Mayor of New York City than Mayor of Southbend.

Yea, when I heard that he was planning to run and that New Yorkers really didn't want him to run, I was like 'Doesn't he have a city to run?' (yes, that could be said of Pete Buttigeig as well, but he has more support from his hometown than De Blasio does I believe).

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #30251 on: May 16, 2019, 03:22:00 pm »

De Blasio running is a stupid, stupid idea. AOC is going to do better with liberal New Yorkers, he's already pissed off a lot of less-liberal New Yorkers, and he's going to have a hard time advancing on the national stage if he can't even get his own city behind him.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #30252 on: May 16, 2019, 03:27:00 pm »

De Blasio running is a stupid, stupid idea. AOC is going to do better with liberal New Yorkers, he's already pissed off a lot of less-liberal New Yorkers, and he's going to have a hard time advancing on the national stage if he can't even get his own city behind him.

Not that I disagree with your point, but AOC can't run in 2020 because she'll be 31 on election day and you have to be at least 35 to be President.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30253 on: May 16, 2019, 03:33:05 pm »

Have to be 35 to be president, just the same as how the president has to cut connections with their business interests.  If there is anything I learned from this presidency it's that the rules of the presidency don't apply.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #30254 on: May 16, 2019, 03:45:05 pm »

I was phone posting, and somehow cut out a big chunk of the post. I was referring more to her media presence influencing the mood of the electorate, not a direct challenge. Her supporters probably will find de Blasio to be too moderate, and will pick somebody else.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 2015 2016 [2017] 2018 2019 ... 3566