Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2013 2014 [2015] 2016 2017 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4202391 times)

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #30210 on: May 11, 2019, 12:16:38 am »

Fools! I'VE BEEN A COW THIS WHOLE TIME.

My bovine brethren! Rise, I tell you, rise against the bipedal oppressors! Two legs bad! Two legs bad!

"My bovine brethren! Rise, I tell you, rise against the bipedal oppressors! Two legs bad! Two legs bad! A bipedal oppressor! What an injustice! A species of slavery! How dare they make us submit! There's a man with two legs, a bull with two legs! And when I say two legs, I mean one! A man with one leg… two legs… and that's not enough for me! The bull with two legs! Is that enough for the bull?"

Hans Christian Andersen, Snowbound

I thought of Animal Farm when I read "two legs bad."
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30211 on: May 11, 2019, 09:59:16 pm »

I don't know if people are still following this given the current constitutional crisis, but hey, the NRA is still imploding. $24 million in legal fees thus far, apparently, and that's without the incipient IRS investigation into their finances.

Thoughts and prayers, lads.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30212 on: May 11, 2019, 11:31:13 pm »

Is the IRS going to take NRA's guns?

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30213 on: May 11, 2019, 11:36:40 pm »

Is the IRS going to take NRA's guns?

Probably not, but "you can have my 501(c)(4) status when you pry it from my cold, dead accountants" doesn't rile people up as effectively.

Craftsdwarf boi

• Bay Watcher
  • Member Of the UC Dwarven Rights Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #30214 on: May 12, 2019, 06:59:26 am »

When is idiocracy going to end
DEATH THO THE THE IGNOBLE NOBLES
Come and amuse oneself the Game of Skirmishes and Transpiration!
...and Engine Heart!
"It was inevitable"----Urist Mcphilosopher
"Losing is !!FUN!!"-----Pretty much every forum member
"#Proletariatinsurrection"-----Every Non-noble dwarf when under rule by nobility

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #30215 on: May 12, 2019, 03:27:49 pm »

It has only just begun

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #30216 on: May 12, 2019, 05:57:01 pm »

Fools! I'VE BEEN A COW THIS WHOLE TIME.

My bovine brethren! Rise, I tell you, rise against the bipedal oppressors! Two legs bad! Two legs bad!

"My bovine brethren! Rise, I tell you, rise against the bipedal oppressors! Two legs bad! Two legs bad! A bipedal oppressor! What an injustice! A species of slavery! How dare they make us submit! There's a man with two legs, a bull with two legs! And when I say two legs, I mean one! A man with one leg… two legs… and that's not enough for me! The bull with two legs! Is that enough for the bull?"

Hans Christian Andersen, Snowbound

I thought of Animal Farm when I read "two legs bad."
It was actually a homage to Snowbound all along. The wikipedia page says as much
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #30217 on: May 12, 2019, 06:48:50 pm »

I read that as "Snow Crash" and was like 'wtf, Andersen didn't invent cyberpunk dammit!'

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30218 on: May 13, 2019, 12:05:54 pm »

My company designs and sells electronics but they are built in China.  I wonder how much pain the tariffs are going to bring us.  I haven't heard if it's on all electronics, or just consumer goods (we're B2B).
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #30219 on: May 13, 2019, 01:09:17 pm »

The real question is what's stopping us and China from both going through intermediaries.  Are we going to put the same tariffs on our other trade partners as we do on China?
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30220 on: May 13, 2019, 01:11:41 pm »

Chances are, going through intermediaries would be even more expensive. After all, the intermediaries would be looking to cash in on that deal.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30221 on: May 13, 2019, 01:17:15 pm »

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #30222 on: May 13, 2019, 02:16:38 pm »

The real question is what's stopping us and China from both going through intermediaries.  Are we going to put the same tariffs on our other trade partners as we do on China?

The tariffs are applied based on Country of Origin.  Country of Origin usually (not always) means the last country in which the item went through any manufacturing process or major modification.  Your suggestion would only alter the Country of Export.  So you can't just re-organizing your shipping process.  It has to take place on the manufacturing level.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #30223 on: May 13, 2019, 02:52:38 pm »

Hmmm... but a lot of our trading partners also manufacture in China right?  So the tariffs would apply to a large portion of the market.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #30224 on: May 13, 2019, 04:02:44 pm »

Hmmm... but a lot of our trading partners also manufacture in China right?  So the tariffs would apply to a large portion of the market.

Yeah, it's totally fucked.  There's always been some protectionist policies in place.  We still use quotas and anti-dumping.  But those are very surgical policies.  Very narrowly targeted.  Sometimes even down to only specific manufacturing plants being subject to them.  Trump's China tariffs by comparison are a massive bludgeon, completely ignorant of the nature of the modern global economy and supply chains.  More than half the stuff I see imported is Country of Origin China.  And most of the stuff that isn't has components in it that were made in China and shipped around for assembly of the larger product.  Stuff that's "made" in the USA (in terms of final assembly) almost certainly incorporates parts that were made in China, such as our beloved automotive industry.

But disruption like this is always good for someone.  I wouldn't be surprised if Trump/friends have ties to businesses which are uniquely positioned to be less hindered by this than their competitors.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.
Pages: 1 ... 2013 2014 [2015] 2016 2017 ... 3566