Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1912 1913 [1914] 1915 1916 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4211035 times)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #28695 on: March 06, 2019, 04:17:42 pm »

Bloomberg is not running! The left-wing rejoices.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28696 on: March 07, 2019, 07:58:13 am »

Rule requiring the reporting of civilian deaths by drone strike deemed "unnecessary" and "distracting".

Whaddaya wanna bet that he's soon gonna brag about how his drone strikes have had fewer reported civilian casualties than Obama's drone strikes?  Despite having a fuckload more of them (which is an interesting little tidbit I hadn't heard about)?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28697 on: March 07, 2019, 08:17:17 am »

How is oversight (even if it is just public opinion based oversight) "unnecessary", and how is the availability of that information to the public "Distracting?"

Distracting from WHAT exactly? How is the availability of more data to evaluate performance with not valuable to government intelligence agents? If not advising government on better strategies and the behaviors of enemy agencies, then what exactly *IS* the "Primary Mission" of these agencies?

This just smacks of "We dont like the numbers and we dont like how they make us look bad, so we dont want to keep collecting them, and instead focus on blowing people up without thinking about what we are actually doing over there" rather than any actually useful policy considerations.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #28698 on: March 07, 2019, 08:35:25 am »

It's that, with a helping of fuck 'Bama, really. Maybe a side order of throwing terrorist groups a propaganda bone so they keep being a red meat offering if some GOP ratfucker or another was particularly on the ball, as the fellow at the bottom of that article gives grounds to intimate.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28699 on: March 07, 2019, 06:50:46 pm »

(Quick question...  Is this Bizarro World?)
It is shameful that House Democrats won’t take a stronger stand against Anti-Semitism in their conference. Anti-Semitism has fueled atrocities throughout history and it’s inconceivable they will not act to condemn it!

I have no idea what is going on. Are democrats taking an anti-semitism movement? I'm hearing too many things and not sure what is going on. One side are blatant racists and hate those that aren't the same as them, the other seems to be going the same path. And I'm just here confused because that wasn't what I was supporting democrats for. Its like they are becoming the same party on the same coin, but opposite sides of the coin.

But I really have no idea what is going on, because it seems according to CNN there might be two sides right now in congress about this. I don't think this was the article I read yesterday, but here is one on front page today

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/07/opinions/rejecting-antisemitism-could-heal-partisan-wounds-opinion-ghitis/index.html

That was one big reason I voted against Trump and been democrat, because of his and others of the republican party's racism, their hatred of those of jewish descent, women and everyone else.

And then this happens. And it isn't fox news saying their usual BS, but even CNN is reporting on it.

So wtf is going on? 2019 is starting off really weird as far as politics go (weirder than usual). Honestly if this is what both parties are turning into, I won't be bothering to vote at all because as far as I know, both seem to be engulfed in this hatred and racism. That isn't why I've been a democrat 100%. Except one party hates muslims, the other seems to be turning anti-semitism. But that makes no sense for democrats to do such a thing, and I really have no idea what is going on besides reports on cnn.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 06:53:30 pm by Trolldefender99 »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #28700 on: March 07, 2019, 06:57:28 pm »

The Democrats are just shook that they now have at least one person with the courage to speak the truth about Israel's political influence in the American political system, as well as Israel's ongoing genocide against Palestine. And they're right to be scared: Last time it was neoliberalism, and now the Democratic base despises it.

If you're allowed to tell the truth, then people are allowed to listen. Ergo, you must not allow people to tell the truth if you're committed to a lie. Hopefully, by this time next year Israel's crimes will be a matter of public discussion.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28701 on: March 07, 2019, 07:15:58 pm »

The Democrats are just shook that they now have at least one person with the courage to speak the truth about Israel's political influence in the American political system, as well as Israel's ongoing genocide against Palestine. And they're right to be scared: Last time it was neoliberalism, and now the Democratic base despises it.

If you're allowed to tell the truth, then people are allowed to listen. Ergo, you must not allow people to tell the truth if you're committed to a lie. Hopefully, by this time next year Israel's crimes will be a matter of public discussion.

Ah ok, that part I didn't know was a big deal with them having influence. Maybe misunderstanding that part, but that one I don't think is a big deal. There is a lot of people that aren't even from the US that donate a ton of money to various political parties and organizations, plus the US interferes a lot with other countries so nothing different there really.

The 2nd part is definitely a more serious one. Though definitely extends past Israel. Though the big problem I see is that Israel bombards Palestine quite often, even bombing schools where children are in. Even if Palestine starts it or not, that part is like a he said/she said kinda thing, bombing schools with children in them=an action that needs actual consequences.

There is China too with their extensive concentration camps pretty much and attempted force religion conversion, though I don't see that one talked about very much either. But they've been doing terrible things in those camps, from the few things that have been leaked out. That and they have really large influence around the world, with them buying immense amount of land, businesses and rather extending their influence outside their own nations besides them occupying islands out at sea.

Russia similarly hasn't been treating their muslim populations any better than China currently is.

Definitely needs more done to reign in these warcrimes is what they are pretty much. Though China doesn't seem to care about embargos or threats, so not sure what more can be done in their case.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #28702 on: March 07, 2019, 07:18:48 pm »

They can't be war crimes if they are not done during war now can they?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28703 on: March 07, 2019, 07:22:40 pm »

They can't be war crimes if they are not done during war now can they?

Well, I'm not sure a better way to put it. Its pretty much war crimes to me, even if its not an actual declaration of war. To me, China especially has pretty much declared war against their Muslim populations, even if they don't say it is. Same with what is happening in South Africa of the farmers down there, Russia and their Muslim populations, and Israel/Palestine stuff going on (actually not sure if they consider themselves at war, do they? If so that one be more accurate in that case).

Is there a better word to use for it instead?

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28704 on: March 07, 2019, 07:23:31 pm »

Crimes against humanity is the term for it.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28705 on: March 07, 2019, 07:26:05 pm »

Crimes against humanity is the term for it.

Ah, yeah there. That is definitely more fitting way to put it. Since war crimes would be crimes in a war, I just didn't know a different way to put it.

But yeah, that.

Sadly seems to be a lot of crimes against humanity going on in various parts of the world.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28706 on: March 07, 2019, 07:27:06 pm »

If there's one thing that humans are good at, it's commiting crimes against themselves.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #28707 on: March 07, 2019, 07:28:05 pm »

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/07/politics/paul-manafort-sentencing-virginia-case-russia-investigation/index.html

Manafort gets 4 years, when facing 25.

Manafort was convicted last summer for defrauding banks and the government, and failing to pay taxes on millions of dollars in income he earned from Ukrainian political consulting.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28708 on: March 07, 2019, 07:31:04 pm »

An 84% reduction, not bad.
For him, anyways.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28709 on: March 07, 2019, 07:53:20 pm »

(Bit of a slow reply, I was distracted)
https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/07/opinions/rejecting-antisemitism-could-heal-partisan-wounds-opinion-ghitis/index.html
That article is shamefully painting both sides as the same, because one Democrat isn't Zionist enough.
None of those quotes from Rep. Ilhan Omar are the least bit anti-semetic, they are harshly critical of Israel.  A lot of Jewish people share similar opinions. 

"Should there be a theocratic ethnostate, and is it treating the displaced native people properly" (paraphrasing) is not an anti-semetic sentiment.  Pointing out that the US supports Israel for financial reasons isn't "echoing the tropes, the themes of anti-Semitism through the ages", it's common sense.  US foreign policy is fundamentally economic, particularly since we have unrestricted corporate lobbying.

But obviously Republican leaders are seizing the opportunity to look a little less anti-semetic...  At the expense of a Muslim.  It's a no brainer for them.

Conservatives themselves are a great example of the difference between Israel and Jews.  A very loud and significant portion of them blame Jews for everything from current events to the death of Jesus, and yet in general Conservatives are very Zionist.  It's not actually contradictory at all.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 07:56:56 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 1912 1913 [1914] 1915 1916 ... 3566