Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1861 1862 [1863] 1864 1865 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4211901 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #27930 on: February 05, 2019, 12:03:22 pm »

We'd be better off deleting that acronym from the english language

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27931 on: February 05, 2019, 12:08:22 pm »

Yeah, I've only ever heard SJW used as an insult.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #27932 on: February 05, 2019, 12:54:23 pm »

I always saw SJW as a speciation from keyboard warrior

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27933 on: February 05, 2019, 01:21:26 pm »

Russia announced it's developing intermediate-range missiles, flying in the face of the treaty brokered in the 80's.

I'm pissed this is being allowed to happen and glad I live both in America and in a non-priority low-population area.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27934 on: February 05, 2019, 01:28:53 pm »

Russia announced it's developing intermediate-range missiles, flying in the face of the treaty brokered in the 80's.

I'm pissed this is being allowed to happen and glad I live both in America and in a non-priority low-population area.

They're not "flying in the face of" the INF Treaty. They've suspended the INF Treaty, following our lead.

I'm also curious how exactly you propose we not allow this to happen.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27935 on: February 05, 2019, 01:30:39 pm »

:::Ninja'd by Russian Missiles:::

I always saw SJW as an insult referring to a person who seeks to create a conflict where none exists in the interest of posturing themselves as a progressive hero. They enjoy hurting or bullying people for it's own sake and use the veneer of saving society to deflect the backlash. They are in it to help nothing or anyone but themselves. Sort of the obnoxious vegan who has to ask everyone what they ate for breakfast this morning just in case they're missing an opportunity to remind you of their dietary choices, except now we're talking about serious issues and it can have a real negative impact on the world.

Plenty of people are passionately progressive or campaign for societal change who are not SJW's, and shouldn't take such a negative label for themselves. You don't have to be a little shit to want good things, nor do you need to associate with them. I don't hang out with Westboro [creative expletives] just because I'm Christian and they're famous.

I live in VA which contains some manner of military installation every few towns or so.

At least I know, and knowing is half the battle. The other half is not being here when my house gets vaporized.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 01:32:20 pm by Dunamisdeos »
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #27936 on: February 05, 2019, 01:36:14 pm »

The only difference between now and two months ago is that Russia is no longer pretending that it isn't building and deploying those missiles. They have been blatantly ignoring the INF for years now.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27937 on: February 05, 2019, 01:41:06 pm »

I always saw SJW as an insult referring to a person who seeks to create a conflict where none exists in the interest of posturing themselves as a progressive hero. They enjoy hurting or bullying people for it's own sake and use the veneer of saving society to deflect the backlash. They are in it to help nothing or anyone but themselves. Sort of the obnoxious vegan who has to ask everyone what they ate for breakfast this morning just in case they're missing an opportunity to remind you of their dietary choices, except now we're talking about serious issues and it can have a real negative impact on the world.

I mostly see it used as an insult to insinuate the person who it's directed at is the type of person your describing, but there doesn't seem to be much correlation between its usage and if the target is such a person or not. If anything, I'd say that correlation is normally negative. At least, that's my instinctive reaction when someone uses it pejoratively, that they are the ones being shitty and trying to deflect onto someone else who's sin is calling them out.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27938 on: February 05, 2019, 01:43:04 pm »

I usually only saw SJW used as an insult against a rather vague group of people, but then I met people who fully and happily adopted the term. Those people were about as batshit as you'd expect. Still gets tossed around a lot.

I suppose it's a bit like Nazi these days? There are the actual damn Nazis, and then there are the people who get called "Nazi" by one group or another for whatever reason. Sometimes it sticks, sometimes it doesn't.

Also, I mean... Your dietary choices really can be serious issues with a real negative impact on the world, in fact that's currently the case for most of us here... But I get what you're saying (not sayan, vegans do not actually get superpowers. Can confirm).

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #27939 on: February 05, 2019, 01:55:11 pm »

The only difference between now and two months ago is that Russia is no longer pretending that it isn't building and deploying those missiles. They have been blatantly ignoring the INF for years now.
It's also worth mentioning that when they reduced their nuclear stockpile in compliance with the INF, they were decommissioning obsolete warheads they already intended to decommission: an olive branch that cost them nothing strategically

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27940 on: February 05, 2019, 02:01:06 pm »

It's also worth mentioning that when they reduced their nuclear stockpile in compliance with the INF, they were decommissioning obsolete warheads they already intended to decommission: an olive branch that cost them nothing strategically
"Here is olive branch, gift for future peace between countries!"

"It... This is literally just a stick. You found this on your lawn, didn't you?"

"Is olive branch."

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27941 on: February 05, 2019, 02:19:45 pm »

I mostly see it used as an insult to insinuate the person who it's directed at is the type of person your describing, but there doesn't seem to be much correlation between its usage and if the target is such a person or not. If anything, I'd say that correlation is normally negative. At least, that's my instinctive reaction when someone uses it pejoratively, that they are the ones being shitty and trying to deflect onto someone else who's sin is calling them out.

Yeah I also see it mostly used as a petty insult thrown out at whoever the thrower does not want to listen to. Or, I see it adopted proudly by bullying dirtbags who are gleeful that they were able to hurt someone with different beliefs today. I think there was a time where it was adopted by regular folks who wanted to use it as a counter-term, but that was ruined long ago.

"Here is olive branch, gift for future peace between countries!"

"It... This is literally just a stick. You found this on your lawn, didn't you?"

"Is olive branch."

Is Russian olive, is better than regular olive. Why do you hate free olive.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27942 on: February 05, 2019, 02:35:26 pm »

In Soviet Russia, olives argue whether pizza toppings should include you!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27943 on: February 05, 2019, 02:41:23 pm »

So to clarify about the yearbook thing:  I thought he was actually named under the yearbook photo.  Apparently not (unless Fox rearranged the picture), he's just adjacent to it.  I was wondering how this got through vetting for governor, and eh...  I don't see this as a valid scandal anymore.

It wasn't "on another page" or anything, it was adjacent, but still.  Racism was prevalent back then, nothing about this implies that he was.

(Though I still think he could have handled it better)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27944 on: February 05, 2019, 02:52:51 pm »

So to clarify about the yearbook thing:  I thought he was actually named under the yearbook photo.  Apparently not (unless Fox rearranged the picture), he's just adjacent to it.  I was wondering how this got through vetting for governor, and eh...  I don't see this as a valid scandal anymore.

It wasn't "on another page" or anything, it was adjacent, but still.  Racism was prevalent back then, nothing about this implies that he was.

(Though I still think he could have handled it better)

It was also a reasonable prior that he'd seen his yearbook page prior to now and not objected to the picture, which would itself be troubling.
Pages: 1 ... 1861 1862 [1863] 1864 1865 ... 3566