Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1856 1857 [1858] 1859 1860 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4212529 times)

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #27855 on: February 01, 2019, 11:09:08 am »

Since we are on the topic of nukes, and creative use of them,  it might be relevant to note that Trump backed up by some NATO members is about to end the cold war nuclear treaty. This because the russians have seemingly already developed missiles that are in breach of the treaty. Russia denies this.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 11:13:00 am by Bralbaard »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #27856 on: February 01, 2019, 11:16:00 am »

Since we are on the topic of nukes, and creative use of them,  it might be relevant to note that Trump backed up by some NATO members is about to end the cold war nuclear treaty. This because the russians have seemingly already developed missiles that are in breach of the treaty. Russia denies this.
wait what

This because the russians have seemingly already developed missiles that are in breach of the treaty. Russia denies this.
Putin says Russia is ready to deploy new hypersonic nuclear missile
How can their lie be so brazen?

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27857 on: February 01, 2019, 11:24:42 am »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AIR-2_Genie
Lmao how did I only just find out the USA invented an air-to-air nuclear missile during the cold war

"Dogfight? ... No, no. We just turn a square kilometer or three into plasma. Much quicker."

Even better: It's an UNGUIDED nuclear rocket. So if you miss, um....please don't miss.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27858 on: February 01, 2019, 11:38:44 am »

Lmao how did I only just find out the USA invented an air-to-air nuclear missile during the cold war

"Dogfight? ... No, no. We just turn a square kilometer or three into plasma. Much quicker."

Even better: It's an UNGUIDED nuclear rocket. So if you miss, um....please don't miss.

If it's aimed at a squadron of bombers, my guess is that it's set to blow up in mid-air or something, not on impact...

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27859 on: February 01, 2019, 11:47:35 am »

wait what

This because the russians have seemingly already developed missiles that are in breach of the treaty. Russia denies this.
Putin says Russia is ready to deploy new hypersonic nuclear missile
How can their lie be so brazen?

They also claim the missile to be unstoppable/uninterceptable or something like that, which honestly, is the same kind of mentality that sunk the Titanic. It's always unsink/impreg/stopp/intercept/ and so on -able until it isn't.

While the Russians being constantly in breach of it is one reason, the other main reason is that the flexibility is needed in order to oppose China.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27860 on: February 01, 2019, 11:49:08 am »

If it's aimed at a squadron of bombers, my guess is that it's set to blow up in mid-air or something, not on impact...

Yes. It's on a time delay fuse that starts running when the rocket motor shuts off.

I've seen similar criticisms of nuclear artillery and several kinds of nuclear torpedo, but unguided nuclear weapons have a major advantage consonant with nuclear doctrine: they can't go off in the wrong place because somebody fooled a guidance computer. That's no trivial thing for a weapon with a blast radius comparable to its range, and there are doctrinal benefits to having a human be ultimately responsible for the location of the detonation.

ICBMs are the major exception, but guidance is necessary at those ranges and nuclear Armageddon is a special case anyway.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27861 on: February 01, 2019, 11:51:27 am »

Were the Soviet strategic bomber formations this tight, though? Because Wiki rather suggests these were developed in the absence of adequate missile guidance technology. More so that you can reliably hit anything, not to hit more than one target.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27862 on: February 01, 2019, 12:03:45 pm »

Were the Soviet strategic bomber formations this tight, though? Because Wiki rather suggests these were developed in the absence of adequate missile guidance technology. More so that you can reliably hit anything, not to hit more than one target.

Since they never arrived, we can't say with certainty, but given the nuclear-capable Tu-4A was derived from a copy of the B-29, we can assume they could have flown in similar formations. Judging from photos of those...maybe? Certainly multiple planes would be within 600m, but probably not the entire formation.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #27863 on: February 01, 2019, 12:05:06 pm »

Even if they aren't there's plenty of side effects of a nuke going off in your general vicinty that would probably cripple them, if not outright destroy them.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27864 on: February 01, 2019, 12:06:32 pm »

They also claim the missile to be unstoppable/uninterceptable or something like that, which honestly, is the same kind of mentality that sunk the Titanic. It's always unsink/impreg/stopp/intercept/ and so on -able until it isn't.

While the Russians being constantly in breach of it is one reason, the other main reason is that the flexibility is needed in order to oppose China.

Well, with the Titanic the stakes weren't as high.

I don't care who broke the treaty first. I just think that we should't welcome a new nuclear arms race. One would hope those politicians did their actual jobs by negotiating a solution

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #27865 on: February 01, 2019, 12:16:29 pm »

Well, with the Titanic the stakes weren't as high.

I don't care who broke the treaty first.
It was the icebergs man
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27866 on: February 01, 2019, 12:19:22 pm »

I think you mean the Hapsburgs
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27867 on: February 01, 2019, 12:21:21 pm »

bombs?
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #27868 on: February 01, 2019, 12:22:35 pm »

I don't care who broke the treaty first. I just think that we should't welcome a new nuclear arms race. One would hope those politicians did their actual jobs by negotiating a solution
I mean, one, lots of the ones capable of doing that job got kicked out. Two, russia was apparently doing it anyway, so negotiations came pre-fucked, even if the shitgibbon's lot was able and willing to attempt them. Unfortunately you can't really negotiate with an insistently bad faith actor. Double unfortunately, that describes both russia for a while now and much of the US's current upper administration.

So, like. Omnifucked, welcome to stupid cold war to go with your stupid watergate. Do whatever your equivalent to praying is for it to not go hot.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27869 on: February 01, 2019, 12:23:21 pm »

So it was the austrio-german monarchy that sunk the titanic?

Now I'm curious... what exactly was a hapsburg doing out in the atlantic on that cold, fated night--- and how did he shear though so many bulkheads on impact?  I mean, I've heard some rather tall tales about the Hapsburgs and their prowess, but still..

:P
Pages: 1 ... 1856 1857 [1858] 1859 1860 ... 3566