Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1855 1856 [1857] 1858 1859 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4212615 times)

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #27840 on: January 31, 2019, 07:22:49 pm »

So Ron "Monkey It Up" DeSantis has decided that the federal government has stuck their nose too much into public schools, and in response decided to stick his own nose into public schools by cancelling common core in Florida.

I'm hoping this will go to the courts. I can not imagine a bigger waste of educational funds than to toss out years of preparation and materials just because some idiots can't figure out how to count out change. He doesn't even know what they're going to replace it with.

I swear republicans just want to fuck over public schools as hard as they can so that they have an excuse to turn the whole thing private. Rick Scott did it, now DeSantis is following it up.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #27841 on: January 31, 2019, 07:33:03 pm »

Yes? Fuck public schools are their baseline goal, along with fuck almost everything else public, too. Replace it with something is questionable, since plenty of their higher ups would be perfectly happy to let poor people just get fucked indefinitely.

Turning it private is just a happy medium that lets them rip off the newly (even more) desperate.

And yeah, it'll probably go to court. If there's anything anti-establishment chucklefucks, particularly republican ones, can't wrap their heads around, it's due legal diligence. Something about spending too much time around casual corruption, if I had to guess.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #27842 on: January 31, 2019, 08:14:56 pm »

the thought process is that the Free Market should handle schools, because that way people can "choose" what quality and sort of education the child receives. Because, of course, there will be plenty of options. Monopolies are a product of Regulation, and don't actually exist in true free markets. So all this fear about Coca-cola University is just hogwash.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27843 on: January 31, 2019, 08:56:25 pm »

...you all do know that Common Core isn't federal, right?

Half right. It was not originally federal and the first few states adopted it without any sort of federal intervention. But there was a big Obama-era federal grant program that 40-something states grabbed their share of that had part of its requirements as adopting common core, or similar standards in line with common core as one of the requirements.

It probably would not have taken off like it did without that federal incentive.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #27844 on: January 31, 2019, 08:59:07 pm »

I don't know much about Common Core, but isn't it heavily associated with the standardized testing junk that is emblematic of why USA public education is awful?
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27845 on: January 31, 2019, 09:08:17 pm »

Standardized testing was actually worse pre-common core, at least in Florida. It still exists... but it's not nearly as arduous as it used to be. There was a pre-common core year that a full 1/4 of the school days had some sort of standardized testing going on in the school. It was ridiculous.

I'm sure some people are associating it with other pre-existing ills in the system. (And standardized testing is still an ill that needs to be dealt with.) But the biggest complaint is that parents who had shitty education... or simply "different" education don't understand their childrens' school work. I can somewhat sympathize with that, and while I still want to call them idiots, I can see how it might be frustrating if you ARE a good parent and want to help your kids, but simply can't without relearning stuff you thought you already knew.

However common core has been proven to work, often better than what existed before. It's easier to understand from a ground-up, building block perspective a kid might have.

There WAS some pushback by teachers at the beginning, because they often had to relearn and retrain themselves, often on a subject they'd been teaching for decades, but that's largely gone now.

I'm not saying it's a perfect system. There are plenty of problems that could stand to be fixed, or at least acknowledged in a reasonable manner. But to simply throw out a system that is shown to work, without ANY sort of plan as to what you'll replace it with or how you'll pay for it or how teachers are going to deal with yet another basic reconfiguration of lesson plans after they might have had a handful of solid years to get used to these.... without considering ANY of that is irresponsible to the extreme. DeSantis is simply saying "Get rid of it and figure it out, I got no answers for you, just do it right."

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #27846 on: January 31, 2019, 09:56:55 pm »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AIR-2_Genie
Lmao how did I only just find out the USA invented an air-to-air nuclear missile during the cold war

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27847 on: January 31, 2019, 10:14:35 pm »

Lmao how did I only just find out the USA invented an air-to-air nuclear missile during the cold war

Multiple... although we weren't the only ones either.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Nuclear_anti-aircraft_weapons

Edit: My mistake... I swear I read about a soviet A2A nuclear weapon, but maybe I was thinking of one of their SAMs or just something completely fictional...
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 10:25:05 pm by sluissa »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27848 on: January 31, 2019, 10:52:20 pm »

yeah we keep those around so that we can give em all to x-com when they need to shoot at ufos
(The description of the Avalanche missile in original X-com states that it's an air-to-air nuclear missile.)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27849 on: February 01, 2019, 04:15:59 am »

Common Core also had a rough start of being explained very poorly by several people, so folks trying to figure out how the whole thing worked were met with terrible non-explanations that didn't make anything clearer, and it became a meme that Common Core was dumb and wrong.

I mean, I still don't get it, but I guess someone thought it had merit? I dunno.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27850 on: February 01, 2019, 06:57:03 am »

"Dogfight? ... No, no. We just turn a square kilometer or three into plasma. Much quicker."
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #27851 on: February 01, 2019, 07:07:38 am »

They were intended for use against nuclear bomber formations. The concern was that even one bomber getting through would be devastating, so a nuclear.warhead is the only way to make sure you got all of them.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27852 on: February 01, 2019, 07:13:42 am »

Take off and nuke the planes for a bit, it's the only way to be sure!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #27853 on: February 01, 2019, 08:55:08 am »

They were intended for use against nuclear bomber formations. The concern was that even one bomber getting through would be devastating, so a nuclear.warhead is the only way to make sure you got all of them.
It's an elegant solution to stealth bombers. Just liquidate the medium they fly in

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27854 on: February 01, 2019, 09:55:50 am »

Weren't these probably the ones they used in Independence Day?
Pages: 1 ... 1855 1856 [1857] 1858 1859 ... 3566