Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1805 1806 [1807] 1808 1809 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4211758 times)

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #27090 on: January 07, 2019, 12:19:43 pm »

Bay12 has easily definable trains of thought, they just tend to jump a little farther than normal trains.

Multi-Track Drifting!

I'm now picturing a freight train drifting and track hopping. Thank you.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27091 on: January 07, 2019, 02:33:31 pm »

I just pass my passwords through an irregular matrix. Coincidentally and totally unrelated, one could perceive the keyboard as a sort of physical matrix of characters. So all you would need is a "key equation" of key-movements and your password is effectively encrypted.

&4pq g84 488 t/3w 7e 586 32h2hf23 q92ii7gr /gw w2d7/478gq
I like to trace words across the keyboard.

Cat= REWAZXCdszxdcsdfedc

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27092 on: January 07, 2019, 03:37:36 pm »

The trouble is the arbitrary nature of selectively enforcing laws. This is what leads to abuse of police power - if you don't know what laws are de facto ignored in your locale, or if the powers simply decide to change which ones they enforce, it's problematic.

Yes, there is a spectrum of "what is the best use of enforcement resources" - but that's why it falls into politics.  I would argue that you did state the correct solution though: make sure the laws we have are the minimum set of necessary and sufficient.  Don't try to "keep adjusting laws to track with consensus notions of justice" - keep the law set to the minimum and you don't have to keep adjusting things.

For instance - why do we have business license laws in the first place? I'd say get rid of them.  Pay for the departments that are funded by licensing out of the general taxes. This will be a benefit to all - it will slightly lower barrier to entry to start a business.  If you're worried about compliance: just roll this into liability law. Just make it so that if a business is in violation of environmental or OSHA or labor laws apply civil and criminal liability.  Why have a need for both up-front licensing and liability law?  I guess maybe I could see a need for having a business registry, but not necessarily a license.

I agree the above is simplistic, but for the sake of discussion it should convey the idea of streamlining regulations.

That would be ideal if the minimum were not variable, but it too is subject to shifts in public thought, and at some point of resistance to change we stop being robust to fleeting variations and start just not representing the public consensus, at which point we stop being a republic. Then, too, we have a legal system in which most of our post ex facto adjustments to the enforcement of the law are exclusively mitigatory. In addition to our double jeopardy provisions, we don't have any way to anti-pardon people for conduct we agree should have been criminal in retrospect, and while I think we'd agree that such a system would be hugely abusable (and has been, in legal systems that have had it), it does mean that if we err on the side of too minimal a legal code, we have fewer tools available to us to correct after the fact than if we unintentionally convict people of crimes we don't want to punish them for.

As for why we have apparently frivolous laws like licensing, it's the same reason we have malum prohibitum laws in the first place: so that laws can actually be protective without punishing people for things that haven't happened yet. Drunk driving isn't illegal because we think it's inherently wrong. It's illegal because we'd rather pull people off the road before they crash than charge them with vehicular manslaughter after the fact. Similarly, licensing laws exist in part to prevent people from evading other laws governing commercial conduct by claiming they're not actually operating a business or a specific kind of business; they're how you make a registry that people actually sign onto, and part of a whole constellation of codifying regulations. Disambiguating which laws apply to who up front saves a lot of time on the back end.

That's not to say these systems aren't abused or that regulations can't be streamlined, only that apparently superfluous laws can better serve the goals of the legal system than an absolutely minimal set of proscribed conduct by virtue of it only being possible to directly regulate past conduct.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 03:39:24 pm by Trekkin »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27093 on: January 07, 2019, 03:43:51 pm »

I always assumed business licenses were in place for registration purposes. That way 16 companies can't officially be named Google inc and you have to legally sort that out after the fact.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27094 on: January 07, 2019, 04:19:29 pm »

I always assumed business licenses were in place for registration purposes. That way 16 companies can't officially be named Google inc and you have to legally sort that out after the fact.
Well, I call that a "registration fee" - it's typically small, like $25 a year or something.  But names are also trademarks - which aren't quite licenses (although I guess it is the "license to use that mark in trade.")

I guess I was focused on "you need a retail license" which basically just limits who is allowed to sell things.  It's not like an occupancy license stating you meet fire codes, or a professional license which says you have passed a competency exam, which are the preventive things like @Trekkin mentioned.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #27095 on: January 07, 2019, 05:04:16 pm »

I just pass my passwords through an irregular matrix. Coincidentally and totally unrelated, one could perceive the keyboard as a sort of physical matrix of characters. So all you would need is a "key equation" of key-movements and your password is effectively encrypted.

&4pq g84 488 t/3w 7e 586 32h2hf23 q92ii7gr /gw w2d7/478gq
I like to trace words across the keyboard.

Cat= REWAZXCdszxdcsdfedc

That's clever. So "correcthorsebatterystaple" could be something like xzaqwzaqwedcxzaqwezaqwexzaqwedsxzaqwexswqezaqsdccxzaqwedcxzaqweewqasdcxzcxzaqwedsqasdcxzzaqwedcsxswqexswqecxzaqwedszaqwewdrcewqasdcxzxswqezaqwedcszaqwedsxswcxzaqweds and you could memorize it as long as you remembered the button patterns.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27096 on: January 07, 2019, 07:59:33 pm »

My password is correcthorsebatterystaple
Look at me. Look at me.
I am Rolan7 now.
What??  How!?
I am a shadow, the true self!
*Explodes into a giant frog-ninja*

bada badaa bada badaa bada badaa da da da da duh da da da

sensei, you're so cool!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 08:01:25 pm by A Thing »
Wasteland 1 & 2
"Power Couple: Markus Athing & Cyborg 45"

Makes me curious, can cyborgs have future babies too?
On the offchance they can, I know who I want my daddy to be
(finished)Age of Decadence

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #27097 on: January 08, 2019, 01:56:53 am »

The news media is helping Trump by airing his propaganda piece.

The guy who said that the press is "the enemy of the people."

What the fuck is even going on anymore?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27098 on: January 08, 2019, 02:56:02 am »

US media == Strung out junkies addicted to that sweet sweet ad revenue, cravenly pandering to the sensationalist drivel that sells the most eyeballs, even when that means sucking orange mushroom.

US President == Paradox in an orange wrapper. Do not try to comprehend, that way lies madness.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27099 on: January 08, 2019, 03:33:28 am »

I once forgot my computer's password after being away from it for a few months.

Luckily, my fingers remembered it... I just needed to start typing and not think about it. I can remember several bizarre passwords at a time, so long as I actually use the damn things regularly... Which is why I've set Steam to never remember my password for autologin. Eventually it'll need to be entered in again, and by that point I'll have hopelessly forgotten it.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27100 on: January 08, 2019, 04:30:40 am »

Back on the topic of the great Trump Variety Hour,  Our version of Super Milk Chan's president has decided that the best time to ask the public if it wants a border wall or not, is *AFTER* subjecting them to a government shutdown, and causing people to go without necessary social services, rather than *BEFORE* doing that.

Because he is such a great negotiator, something something.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/07/us/politics/trump-address-border-visit.html

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27101 on: January 08, 2019, 08:54:37 am »

The news media is helping Trump by airing his propaganda piece.

The guy who said that the press is "the enemy of the people."

What the fuck is even going on anymore?

Well, it is a Presidential address, and historically the media have aired those as a public service despite the cost in ad time. It's true that this is propaganda and a flagrant misuse of the system, but the norms of the executive branch will endure beyond individual Presidents if we choose to preserve them, and this is one that has many legitimate governmental uses. Even if you don't believe the media has an iota of civic spirit left, there's still a clear advantage in giving that appearance, both in the short run and when all this is history.

There's a political interest as well, both for FOX in appeasing the President and all the other networks in letting him have a lot of rope to hang himself with. Trump's tweets have fallen apart into aimless meandering. He's been sounding less and less coherent by the day. Now he, legendarily averse to prepared remarks, has offered to spend a considerable amount of time making statements about his signature, rally-defining issue, which neither the American public nor any relevant experts support and which is founded exclusively on racist misconceptions. Statements which you can then point to when he contradicts them tomorrow.

In short, if you think the Emperor has no clothes and he asks you to televise his fashion show, you say yes.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #27102 on: January 08, 2019, 10:14:13 am »

I'm curious tho, has pointing out recorded instances of him saying the opposite things in the past ever worked on him? I get this feeling he'd just brush it off as #fakenews and hardcore trumpists would agree with him, despite clear, physical evidence to the contrary (because the alternative is admitting you fucked up and we can't have that)
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27103 on: January 08, 2019, 10:24:41 am »

You're right, but I was assuming the non-FOX networks would be presenting those contradictions for their base rather than Trump's. It's good television, not an attempt to reform the MAGAs.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27104 on: January 08, 2019, 10:33:09 am »

I'm curious tho, has pointing out recorded instances of him saying the opposite things in the past ever worked on him? I get this feeling he'd just brush it off as #fakenews and hardcore trumpists would agree with him, despite clear, physical evidence to the contrary (because the alternative is admitting you fucked up and we can't have that)

You pretty much answered your own question. He changes positions more often than your average politician.
Pages: 1 ... 1805 1806 [1807] 1808 1809 ... 3566