Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1785 1786 [1787] 1788 1789 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4211577 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #26790 on: December 28, 2018, 07:02:01 pm »

but how can he close the border if he has no wall?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #26791 on: December 28, 2018, 08:14:00 pm »

The same way he made the Space Force, and got the Better Deals, and stopped the Democrat Party Voter Fraud - through twitter.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #26792 on: December 28, 2018, 08:19:25 pm »

But then... what's the point of it all if you're building a wall... and in front of your eyes it disappears?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #26793 on: December 28, 2018, 08:39:23 pm »

But then... what's the point of it all if you're building a wall... and in front of your eyes it disappears?

Now that's a meme I haven't heard in a long time... a long time.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #26794 on: December 28, 2018, 09:07:07 pm »

Closing the border is going to have a much more pronounced effect on legal migration, compared to illegal. Most notable will be trade, where the loss in revenue will outpace the cost of a border fence within days, and the cost of an actual wall within weeks.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 11:01:06 pm by Folly »

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #26795 on: December 28, 2018, 09:40:20 pm »

But the US has a trade deficit with Mexico, so stopping trade is the only sensible way of fixing that.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #26796 on: December 28, 2018, 09:42:27 pm »

Most Americans have a huge trade deficit with their grocery store, but they don't panic about that.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #26797 on: December 28, 2018, 10:02:37 pm »

The purpose of a border barrier is ostensibly to prevent migration between legal points of entry. Closing down the legal points of entry could not possibly do anything to deter said migration. If anything, closing the legal points of entry will only force people to enter elsewhere.

So, Trump's proposal of closing legal points of entry is not an alternative method of preventing border crossing. What Trump is proposing is very much literally to make the problem worse, with the hope that doing so will somehow incentivise Congress to build his wall.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26798 on: December 28, 2018, 10:16:50 pm »

Ok look, yes I did set the house on fire, but only so it will spread and catch the neighbors houses unless the firemen get here fast and let me ride in the truck and ring the bell like a big boy who definitely didn't shit himself just now!

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26799 on: December 28, 2018, 11:24:02 pm »

So, Trump's proposal of closing legal points of entry is not an alternative method of preventing border crossing. What Trump is proposing is very much literally to make the problem worse, with the hope that doing so will somehow incentivise Congress to build his wall.

Mutually Assured Destruction Chicken is the only way Trump knows to negotiate, after all: either the other guy caves or everything falls through and Daddy/Putin bails him out.

It's not so much that he has no plan, as has been reported, as that the only plan he's ever had has failed and he can't process that. We'll be here a while.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26800 on: December 29, 2018, 01:29:45 am »

Replace "english" with "negotiation", and this is a dead ringer.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26801 on: December 29, 2018, 02:04:06 am »

Pretty much, although with an added element of "Well I say I'm great at negotiation, we'll compromise at a C. I never said I'd take a C, I'm a straight A student. Super genius of the world. I could teach this class. I'm the teacher now. You fail. Pathetic!"

"I won't fail you if you don't fail me. See, I'm so good at negotiation. A+. You still fail."

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #26802 on: December 29, 2018, 08:43:02 am »

Closing the border is going to have a much more pronounced effect on legal migration, compared to illegal. Most notable will be trade, where the loss in revenue will outpace the cost of a border fence within days, and the cost of an actual wall within weeks.

Clearly Trymp's master plan is to lower the American economy so far that the South Americans stop migrating there for work
Love, scriver~

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #26803 on: December 29, 2018, 10:31:51 am »

Clearly Trymp's master plan is to lower the American economy so far that the South Americans stop migrating there for work
Which will actually work, in a broken Paperclip Machine AI sort of way. If you tank the U.S. Economy, and achieve parity with Mexico, mexican immigration will eventually become mexican emigration!
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26804 on: December 29, 2018, 10:39:47 am »

The purpose of a border barrier is ostensibly to prevent migration between legal points of entry. Closing down the legal points of entry could not possibly do anything to deter said migration. If anything, closing the legal points of entry will only force people to enter elsewhere.

You know, I wonder if he is thinking of or is referencing off of what happened after 9/11. I know it wasn't a total border closure then, just a restriction, but I could see how Trump would make the leap to total forcefield closure of the border. However, even that partial closure with suspending flights didn't even last a month maybe before it got too painful to continue.

Course though, the illegal immigration problem is increasingly being those that overstay their visas, not cross the border illegally. I guess it's just harder to freak out about immigrants overstaying their visas than it is for 'invaders' since border crossers are more visible than those overstaying visas.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 10:44:52 am by smjjames »
Pages: 1 ... 1785 1786 [1787] 1788 1789 ... 3566