Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1770 1771 [1772] 1773 1774 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4215820 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #26565 on: December 16, 2018, 11:15:23 am »

So, Mulvaney called Trump something along the lines of a horrible human being a few years ago.

New acting chief of staff by Christmas after he’s forced to step aside because if Trump sacks him so soon he’ll look like even more of a clown than usual?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26566 on: December 16, 2018, 12:10:06 pm »

So, Mulvaney called Trump something along the lines of a horrible human being a few years ago.

New acting chief of staff by Christmas after he’s forced to step aside because if Trump sacks him so soon he’ll look like even more of a clown than usual?

I wouldn't be surprised if even the most loyal loyalist said something bad about Trump at some point.

After they fracture maybe then we can break the Democratic party in two as well and get real political options.

Unfortunately, first-past-the-post voting rules out systems with more than two significant parties. (Entryism can help broaden the tents, but it's ultimately a binary tree all the way down.) Fracture the Democrats and Republicans in half, and the four demi-parties will reform into two parties.

(warning for mobile users, huge image)That's pretty much what happened between 1820 when one party collapsed and the US briefly became a one-party state and 1828. Though I'm not sure how much of it was the rivalry between Andrew Jackson and John Quincy Adams (which was intense) and simple factionalism and FPTP.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #26567 on: December 16, 2018, 02:01:23 pm »

It would be fascinating to see a country where some states have single-payer healthcare and some don't. Alabama would cease to exist as anyone older than 40 flees to better states to get healthcare, and anyone younger than 40 flees to better states to get a job. The only people left would be soveriegn citizens and cultists. Wait, isn't this the plot to Far Cry 5?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #26568 on: December 16, 2018, 02:36:57 pm »

Far Cry 5 had a plot?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #26569 on: December 16, 2018, 02:53:22 pm »

I think the better question would be “there’s a fifth one?”
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26570 on: December 16, 2018, 02:56:40 pm »

Its the usual FC plot outline, but yeah.

Bigbad cult leader organizes a grassroots campaign to buy up huge tracts of land in some alpine state, then uses a combination of psychotropic drugs and operant conditioning to control the local population.  True to FC style, he has several subordinates that he has invested local operations to, by region. Each one has a different schtik in how they maintain order, but all of them are involved in his doomsday cult. 

Due to the difficulty in asserting rule of law, given the largeness of the area controlled, the group operates with near autonomy.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26571 on: December 16, 2018, 03:04:23 pm »

And the premise was bashed by people saying that a heavily armed fanatic cult in the US was unrealistic.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26572 on: December 16, 2018, 09:12:06 pm »

It would be fascinating to see a country where some states have single-payer healthcare and some don't. Alabama would cease to exist as anyone older than 40 flees to better states to get healthcare, and anyone younger than 40 flees to better states to get a job. The only people left would be soveriegn citizens and cultists. Wait, isn't this the plot to Far Cry 5?

Actual deepestlore

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #26573 on: December 16, 2018, 10:12:08 pm »

Its the usual FC plot outline, but yeah.

Bigbad cult leader organizes a grassroots campaign to buy up huge tracts of land in some alpine state, then uses a combination of psychotropic drugs and operant conditioning to control the local population.  True to FC style, he has several subordinates that he has invested local operations to, by region. Each one has a different schtik in how they maintain order, but all of them are involved in his doomsday cult. 

Due to the difficulty in asserting rule of law, given the largeness of the area controlled, the group operates with near autonomy.

Why go to the mountains ? It is better to go in the rural areas, gather all your followers so you have a overwhelming local superiority, then vote the locals out. Then poison them while drugging your cult members into obedience.

It's not even a movie plot

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26574 on: December 16, 2018, 10:14:22 pm »

Far Cry was... what again? Full admssion: I dropped out of the console treadmill after the ps2 and a horrible ffxi addiction, not counting an on-again-off-again bout of animal crossing with hints of rune factoryitis.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #26575 on: December 16, 2018, 10:19:38 pm »

Far Cry is a series of PC First Person Shooters. The first game was a linear campaign with extremely open levels, while the sequels are open-world GTA clones.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26576 on: December 16, 2018, 10:26:46 pm »

It's kinda a weird series.  3-5 have been amusement park-style open world first person shooters, where you have to liberate local people from oppression by sneakily pressing F near enemies to unleash mostly-unexplained knife-jitsu, despite being some American kid a "Far Cry" from home (a different kid each time).  They're kinda stealth-action shooters which threw realism out the window.  They also have long trippy cutscenes, often involving drug use, and casts of quirky outlandish characters both on your side and the enemy.  There's also magic?  Probably?  The drugs make it hard to tell.

Far Cry 2 was kinda like that, except there's no humor.  You're a mercenary in Africa who has to earn the trust of *both* factions in a civil war, by killing people on both sides, so you can eventually kill the protagonist of the first game.  It's absurdly gritty.  Guns break, people try to drag their wounded friends away from you, the only currency is blood diamonds...  The only light comes in the form of your fellow mercenaries, who are your bestest friends and nothing bad happens.
(If it isn't clear, it's one of my favorite games of all time)

I never played Far Cry 1 but I think there were aliens or something.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #26577 on: December 16, 2018, 10:32:40 pm »

I never played Far Cry 1 but I think there were aliens or something.

No aliens (that's Crysis). Far Cry 1 starts off with you fighting lots of mercenaries (with amazing AI for the era) and introduces lab-grown living weapons about halfway through. It is a completely different game from 2+.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26578 on: December 16, 2018, 11:20:37 pm »

aaa, you're reminding me of games that I want to play and don't own.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26579 on: December 16, 2018, 11:44:02 pm »

Ok I have vague weird recollections of GTA:VC and launching myself from a junk yard across the underside of the map to get into the mall on a bicycle... I swear it made more sense at the time, and then I remember getting pissed off after failing a GODDAMN FUCKING STUPID ASS MOTHERFUCKING LOWRIDER MINIGAME BULLSHIT ARGH AND SMASHING GTA:SA BECAUSE FUCK THAT SHIT FOREVER... I mean, glitching around, derping through town as swole CJ with a fro and katana before ganking that one badass NRG superbike to go ride straight up the side of a building was fun... but trying to get full completion? Fuck all that noise.
Pages: 1 ... 1770 1771 [1772] 1773 1774 ... 3566