Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1769 1770 [1771] 1772 1773 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4215696 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #26550 on: December 14, 2018, 07:19:49 pm »

He’s gone and done it. Outgoing Wisconsin governor Scott Walker (Republican) signs Republican authored bills to limit the powers of Democratic governor- and attorney general-elect Tony Evers and Josh Kaul.

A day after he used one of the now limited powers to provide Kimberley Clark $28m in tax incentives to save 400 jobs.

These Republicans don’t take losing so well.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #26551 on: December 14, 2018, 07:25:36 pm »

Oh, and DeSantis has decided that the whole Florida felons thing isn't happening after all.

Are we ready to admit that letting everybody have their say is wrong? If you gave me a way to declare the Republican Party an illegal organization tomorrow, I wouldn't even hesitate. Those who are most apt to oppress others gain the greatest dividends from a "free" political system, since they aren't bound by those conventions themselves when in power.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26552 on: December 14, 2018, 07:49:50 pm »

Quote from: So to summarize
...letting everybody have their say is wrong
Those who are most apt to oppress others gain the greatest dividends
...they aren't bound by those conventions themselves when in power.

What could go wrong.

We are, however, in agreement that the GOP leadership is basically Dr Evil all the way down.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 07:51:38 pm by Dunamisdeos »
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #26553 on: December 14, 2018, 08:01:55 pm »

Y'know, I do wonder where you actually get your news from, because that was, at best, a statement made in some interview and not official policy of him wanting a specific legislation providing language for its implementation, for which he might not even have the legal ability to require.

We get it; you'd rather kill a Republican than shake their hand. Do we need to hear about it in perpetuity? It's not like we're not aware that the only thing Republicans value is winning, but it doesn't mean I want it shoved in my face on a daily basis, especially when your examples aren't even true. For context, I mean the quoted example; obviously the Wisconsin thing happened just now.
Oh boy, how great that the Governor of Florida only might have the power to pass an implementation that nullifies the amendment, exactly as he said he would do. You're right, an open racist like DeSantis would never really do the thing he said he'd do and has the support to do in order to maintain white dominance in Florida, which is the only reason the felon disenfranchisement even exists in the first place.

Hey, I don't pretend to see your actual angle and all, but don't get angry at me for admitting the system you're bought in on does and will continue to scam you out of results.

Well, until ecological collapse, that is. So I guess we still have an endpoint in sight!

What could go wrong.

We are, however, in agreement that the GOP leadership is basically Dr Evil all the way down.
What goes wrong is deciding to cooperate when you are faced with an opponent who has never done anything but defect in the past forty years. I'll give the GOP this, they actually understand power and means. They have no intention of losing no matter what the circumstances and will enact their will regardless of the law or tradition or anything else.

There is no purpose in believing in the system to begin with, and even less of one should even a single participant in the system understand that truth. The process is not the value.

What are you going to say when hundreds of millions of people need to relocate in the climate crisis, and genocides preventing that become commonplace? That you believed in democracy? Soon enough we will yearn for days when it was only occasional murder.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #26554 on: December 14, 2018, 08:39:17 pm »

Or maybe he's just agreed to be the acting CoS until Trump really has found the one he wants. Inb4 acting becomes permanent as it is in so many other things he has yet to fill and still have acting leaders.
I'm 99% sure Trump did this because he didn't want anyone to think that no one wanted the job. Chris Christie was a bridge too far for him. Mulvaney was forced into it.

The problem? Mulvaney doesn't appear to want the job. "He's not interested in chief of staff," a source close to Mulvaney told CNN's Rebecca Buck. "He has been saying for almost two months that he would be more interested in something like Commerce or Treasury, if that's where the President needed him."
Source. Some reporters have mentioned that Mulvaney's aides didn't know he was Chief of Staff until they found out over twitter, and the rumor is Mulvaney didn't actually accept it until after Trump tweeted that he had been appointed to the position.

For what its' worth, Mulvaney was already the Acting head of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, which was the equivalent of a fox-run hen house, but oh well.
Quote from: The new Chief of Staff, and current (former?) Director of the Office of Management and Budget
“If you’re a lobbyist who never gave us money, I didn’t talk to you. If you’re a lobbyist who gave us money, I might talk to you.”
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26555 on: December 14, 2018, 09:00:42 pm »

(Can someone tell politico.com that I don't overly mind the inserted adverts in their articles that they likey feel they need to run to make it a non-paywall, but - whosever's system they use and/or whoever concocts the ad code that gets pushed through that system - I feel aggrieved that the Ad tells me to rotate my device to view it properly (in the meantime it prevents my reading the article itself without great difficulty, the way the hover-frame happens), and then when I do I find that it isn't anything that needs rotation to view, and rotating back again doesn't even give my the same problem of interruption. Those ultimately responsible (probably at least one step removed from Politico) are overturning the core web principle of letting a browser do what it can, the best it can, and I actually feel uncomfortable with such explicitly obvious "I can grab your browser's state" power (even if it's just checking if a 100% width and fixed-height window is measurable as having a ratio of n:1 or 1:n, prior to rendering, or whatever other little trick is employed) and their advertiser certainly hasn't gained any extra kudos by the stunt.)

(Just to get this off my chest. Probably not worth discussing here. Though that needn't stop you if you must, like I just had to.)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 09:03:49 pm by Starver »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26556 on: December 15, 2018, 10:58:01 am »

Or maybe he's just agreed to be the acting CoS until Trump really has found the one he wants. Inb4 acting becomes permanent as it is in so many other things he has yet to fill and still have acting leaders.
I'm 99% sure Trump did this because he didn't want anyone to think that no one wanted the job. Chris Christie was a bridge too far for him. Mulvaney was forced into it.

Chris Christie himself declined, not Trump. Even though he gave the usual boilerplate 'family reasons' as an explaination, I think it's pretty obvious that the only job that he'd accept is AG because he's previously said so. Plus I'd guess there were some conditions that Trump wouldn't agree to if he became CoS.

The problem? Mulvaney doesn't appear to want the job. "He's not interested in chief of staff," a source close to Mulvaney told CNN's Rebecca Buck. "He has been saying for almost two months that he would be more interested in something like Commerce or Treasury, if that's where the President needed him."
Source. Some reporters have mentioned that Mulvaney's aides didn't know he was Chief of Staff until they found out over twitter, and the rumor is Mulvaney didn't actually accept it until after Trump tweeted that he had been appointed to the position.

Being blindsided like that is unfortunately par for the course for this adminstration.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26557 on: December 15, 2018, 09:10:28 pm »

Chris Christie himself declined, not Trump. Even though he gave the usual boilerplate 'family reasons' as an explaination, I think it's pretty obvious that the only job that he'd accept is AG because he's previously said so. Plus I'd guess there were some conditions that Trump wouldn't agree to if he became CoS.
I know, that's the point. Trump was like "Oh shit now everyone's making fun of me on the internet, this cannot stand, someone get me, um, Mulvaney."
"Won't he say no, sir?"
"...nevermind, I have a better idea."

Also I don't think we discussed this, but a judge in Texas struck down Obamacare.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26558 on: December 15, 2018, 09:38:55 pm »

Hottest take on the Obamacare ruling is that it's going to help motivate dems all over again.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26559 on: December 16, 2018, 01:22:19 am »

Hottest take on the Obamacare ruling is that it's going to help motivate dems all over again.
Politico is going with that one, yeah. GOP feels heat in wake of Obamacare ruling: 'It's all the downsides'. Curious how things change.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26560 on: December 16, 2018, 07:09:31 am »

Politico is going with that one, yeah. GOP feels heat in wake of Obamacare ruling: 'It's all the downsides'. Curious how things change.

Let's just hope that grumpy, illiterate douche keeps mismanaging this and the Republicans get further and further down the 'are we actually in this together' rabbit hole.

After they fracture maybe then we can break the Democratic party in two as well and get real political options.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26561 on: December 16, 2018, 07:25:38 am »

Let's just hope that grumpy, illiterate douche keeps mismanaging this and the Republicans get further and further down the 'are we actually in this together' rabbit hole.

After they fracture maybe then we can break the Democratic party in two as well and get real political options.

Lizard for President 2020

A vote for Lizard is a vote for America

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #26562 on: December 16, 2018, 08:05:07 am »

Also I don't think we discussed this, but a judge in Texas struck down Obamacare.
It's less struck down the ACA and more massively pissed off whichever appellate judge gets stuck with the heap of bullshit the critter shat out, tbh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26563 on: December 16, 2018, 08:44:46 am »

From the party that thought it would be a good idea to bring you such hits as Sweaty Drunken Liar: The Nixoning, Who's Shoe is This (The Dubya Years), and Sorta-Famous Racist Grandpa Part 1: The Reaganator comes a new level in "oh god how did these fuckers manage to not choke on their tongues" disappointment: Sorta-Famous Racist Grandpart Part 2: When It Rains, It Trumps... now in Twittervision, so you can watch this trainwreck unfold in real time!

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26564 on: December 16, 2018, 10:04:36 am »

Unfortunately, first-past-the-post voting rules out systems with more than two significant parties. (Entryism can help broaden the tents, but it's ultimately a binary tree all the way down.) Fracture the Democrats and Republicans in half, and the four demi-parties will reform into two parties.

Pages: 1 ... 1769 1770 [1771] 1772 1773 ... 3566