Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1745 1746 [1747] 1748 1749 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4222708 times)

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #26190 on: November 27, 2018, 03:34:00 pm »

It's also significant that they can prove he's lying, which would indicate a body of evidence that is probative to Mueller's exacting requirements without his testimony. That's a significant departure from the usual standard of conspiracy cases in which people flipping is about the only way to move the investigation up through the hierarchy.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26191 on: November 27, 2018, 03:35:56 pm »

It's also significant that they can prove he's lying, which would indicate a body of evidence that is probative to Mueller's exacting requirements without his testimony. That's a significant departure from the usual standard of conspiracy cases in which people flipping is about the only way to move the investigation up through the hierarchy.
Alternatively, they have discrepancies between his story and another guy who flipped, and they're using it to punish him with harder sentencing. Sounds like they can verify though.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26192 on: November 27, 2018, 03:46:31 pm »

Alternatively, they have discrepancies between his story and another guy who flipped, and they're using it to punish him with harder sentencing. Sounds like they can verify though.

That would be one specific form that body of evidence could take, yeah. There just usually aren't so many witnesses to specific acts of conspiracy that you can do this sort of comparison with this confidence at this stage, which would suggest that, provided there's something there, it would not have been covered up with sufficient competence to hide, say, Trump's involvement.

In other words, there's usually a certain amount of circumspection and obfuscation here. Trump may well have just said, in the middle of a campaign meeting, something like "Hey Poptartopolis, loop Paul here in on the treason thing we're definitely doing with Wikileaks. I want to be able to tweet about it tomorrow."

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #26193 on: November 27, 2018, 04:09:19 pm »

Trump responded today to GM's announced plant closings by threatening to remove all subsidies:

Very disappointed with General Motors and their CEO, Mary Barra, for closing plants in Ohio, Michigan and Maryland. Nothing being closed in Mexico & China. The U.S. saved General Motors, and this is the THANKS we get! We are now looking at cutting all @GM subsidies, including for electric cars. General Motors made a big China bet years ago when they built plants there (and in Mexico) - don’t think that bet is going to pay off. I am here to protect America’s Workers!

So...he's going to protect American workers by hurting GM so that it has to lay off more American workers. Seems legit.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26194 on: November 27, 2018, 04:16:50 pm »

So...he's going to protect American workers by hurting GM so that it has to lay off more American workers. Seems legit.

I don't like Trump, but I think you're just being unfair here. What alternative(s) do you propose? Penalizing the company specifically and obviously for removing jobs in America is a good way to encourage companies to, you know, hold jobs in America. It's not the best method, but it's one that is simple and possible to implement...or at least threaten to implement...before the plants actually close.

If they lay off more American workers, well, what do you propose? If they do that then there's no point subsidizing them if they're not actually creating jobs here. Well, even LESS of a point subsidizing them than there is now that they're closing down a bunch of plants here.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #26195 on: November 27, 2018, 04:28:35 pm »

The guy who keeps half his wealth at least off shore to reduce his tax liability is pissed because GM is putting their plants where the cost of labor is the lowest?

This is why Trump is an asshole. If he were the head of GM he'd have done the exact same thing.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #26196 on: November 27, 2018, 04:30:53 pm »

I don't like Trump, but I think you're just being unfair here. What alternative(s) do you propose? Penalizing the company specifically and obviously for removing jobs in America is a good way to encourage companies to, you know, hold jobs in America. It's not the best method, but it's one that is simple and possible to implement...or at least threaten to implement...before the plants actually close.

If they lay off more American workers, well, what do you propose? If they do that then there's no point subsidizing them if they're not actually creating jobs here. Well, even LESS of a point subsidizing them than there is now that they're closing down a bunch of plants here.

Agreed here. Enacting more direct punishments against businesses for bad behaviors is something I've wanted forever, but instead we've had both sides of the aisle ass-kissing on the pretense that if we don't worship them, they'll take jobs elsewhere.  Not that there's anything especially great about Trump's response in this case.  Moving plants around is motivated by deeper issues with how the global economy works, and nothing's being done to address that here.  Where I want to see this kind of stuff is in response to taxation issues, finance scandals, golden parachutes, environmental abuses, etc.  That's where we normally encounter the "But it hurts their pocketses and then they can't afford to employ people!" rhetoric.  Even if this isn't quite the same, hearing that same message we would normally roll our eyes at makes me do a double-take.

The guy who keeps half his wealth at least off shore to reduce his tax liability is pissed because GM is putting their plants where the cost of labor is the lowest?

This is why Trump is an asshole. If he were the head of GM he'd have done the exact same thing.

And yeah, this is true.  He does still deserve to be called a hypocrite.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #26197 on: November 27, 2018, 05:30:36 pm »

You can't hurt an entity like GM unless you strike directly at its rotten heart. Their executives and stockholders don't give a good goddamn about losing the subsidies, not really. That sort of thing is an inconvenience for them and an existential threat for the actual workers at GM.

Now, if we were to arrest them all on tax evasion and use their fortunes to restart the Works Progress Administration...
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26198 on: November 27, 2018, 05:37:38 pm »

You can't hurt an entity like GM unless you strike directly at its rotten heart. Their executives and stockholders don't give a good goddamn about losing the subsidies, not really. That sort of thing is an inconvenience for them and an existential threat for the actual workers at GM.

Now, if we were to arrest them all on tax evasion and use their fortunes to restart the Works Progress Administration...
Join the MetalSlimeFront today for a better future!

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26199 on: November 27, 2018, 05:42:50 pm »

The shareholders are like that parasite that makes slugs purposely get eaten by birds.  Ultimately they care not if GM dies or not.  They'll find a new host to abuse, like they've been doing for decades.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #26200 on: November 27, 2018, 10:05:50 pm »

Well, when you're a shareholder you don't want your share to die. I mean clearly. You invested money in that, and it's in your interest not to lose it. That shits expensive yo. But it is also in your interest to squeeze it as hard as you can get away with it.

What is really insupportable hypocrisy is when people whose main income is the fruit of their share brag about their life of unproductive parasitism then blame poor people for not working.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26201 on: November 28, 2018, 12:29:20 am »

Well, when you're a shareholder you don't want your share to die. I mean clearly. You invested money in that, and it's in your interest not to lose it. That shits expensive yo. But it is also in your interest to squeeze it as hard as you can get away with it.

What is really insupportable hypocrisy is when people whose main income is the fruit of their share brag about their life of unproductive parasitism then blame poor people for not working.

I think Mr. Roboto means that the shareholders will sell before everything really blows up. They'll still have their dividend revenue, and compared to that the share price losses will be acceptable losses.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #26202 on: November 28, 2018, 12:51:47 am »

Agreed here. Enacting more direct punishments against businesses for bad behaviors is something I've wanted forever, but instead we've had both sides of the aisle ass-kissing on the pretense that if we don't worship them, they'll take jobs elsewhere.  Not that there's anything especially great about Trump's response in this case.  Moving plants around is motivated by deeper issues with how the global economy works, and nothing's being done to address that here.  Where I want to see this kind of stuff is in response to taxation issues, finance scandals, golden parachutes, environmental abuses, etc.  That's where we normally encounter the "But it hurts their pocketses and then they can't afford to employ people!" rhetoric.  Even if this isn't quite the same, hearing that same message we would normally roll our eyes at makes me do a double-take.

And yeah, this is true.  He does still deserve to be called a hypocrite.

I agree with all of this
Love, scriver~

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26203 on: November 28, 2018, 01:47:32 am »

Nah, he'd probably hire a bunch of undocumented immigrants for less than minimum wage and then 'forget' to pay them later.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #26204 on: November 28, 2018, 02:47:08 am »

How about making the subsidies based on the workforce? Like, "For every US worker you employ, you get a shiny new nickel" (or whatever...I'm throwing out random numbers here). Then it's just a matter of adjusting the subsidy amount to make it economically feasible for GM to employ US workers instead of moving those jobs offshore. Which is about the only reason ANY industry should be getting taxpayer subsidies in the first goddamn place, IMHO.

Trump is using the subsidies as a blunt object rather than a carrot-and-stick. He's using tariffs the same way. Hell, he uses Twitter the same way.
All he knows is stick.

Meanwhile, Mississippi reminded everyone why it's last in the country in most metrics of being a good place to live.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 02:48:44 am by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 ... 1745 1746 [1747] 1748 1749 ... 3566