Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1722 1723 [1724] 1725 1726 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4228351 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #25845 on: November 16, 2018, 08:32:16 pm »

reminding people what a Republican looks like.

I can report a recent surge in less-conservative Republicans in my area.

I know a guy who was the kind of person that thought Alex Jones had good points sometimes, and he voted Dem for house on account of looking up their policies and deciding they met his needs better.

Things are beginning to change in some areas. They are starting to identify as "Conservative Democrats".
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25846 on: November 16, 2018, 09:24:11 pm »

Sounds like the opposite of so called Reagan Democrats, which are conservatives who were Democrats but went to the Republicans because Reagan. Or maybe not really as they're still Conservative either way.

It's either a cry for help for a third party or simply the beauty of big tent parties. Hopefully the Democrats actually recognize what is happening here and try to accommodate those who are fleeing the Republicans since some of them are hell bent on running as far left as possible when theres this whole asset here.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25847 on: November 16, 2018, 09:31:39 pm »

That's definitely the smartest/most healthy thing to do, which means they'll probably find a way to do the exact opposite.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #25848 on: November 16, 2018, 10:50:48 pm »

That's the curse of big-tent parties. They really aren't good at adapting their platform to fit the "outer" groups, and tend to stick with whatever the hardcore center deem important. This often drives the moderates to the other party (due to the "well, both of these are pretty far from what I want, but THIS group isn't quite as far), and can also drive their supporters into jumping ship or not participating if the "I agree with 90% of what this party stands for, but this bit is something that I just can't be a part of."

The national parties wouldn't even have to change positions on a lot of these issues - just declare that "we recognize that people in different areas have different opinions on these matters, and we feel that this is an issue that is best left to the state branches."  There would still be issues in the Presidential elections, where the national party has to take the lead in developing a platform, but things would go a lot smoother at the state level, and lead to a better representation of the popular will there.

Ohio's a pretty good example - both parties would gain a significant boost by dropping a single issue. No matter how red it gets, Ohio is a very pro-union state - the one time the Ohio GOP managed to push through a Right To Work Law, it was thrown out by one of the most lopsided popular votes in state history. Nonetheless, Ohio's cities are solidly blue - largely due to union voters trying to protect their bargaining rights. It is very likely that Mike DeWine would not have won the election if he had not publicly stated "there will be no right-to-work law under my administration." Making "protecting the unions" part of the GOP platform, or even just dropping all anti-union aspects, would probably swing the scales in the GOP's favor.

On the other side of the aisle, gun control is a very unpopular position to take in Ohio, even in the otherwise blue cities*. One of the reasons Cordray won the primary to run for governor is that he didn't support an assault weapons ban, while his closest opponent did. Polling data suggests that a major factor in his loss is that he was essentially forced to align closer to the Party stance on this matter. Just dropping those sections from the state-level party platform would probably bring in a lot of support.

*Toledo's mayor recently put a policy into place that the city would only buy guns and ammunition from "ethical" companies that refused to sell "assault weapons" to civilians, and encouraged other cities to do the same - openly stating that he hoped the loss of government contracts would do what regulators refused to do. Polling data after this move is sparse, but I've already seen at least two people that campaigned for him talking about a recall because of it.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25849 on: November 17, 2018, 01:36:06 am »

In other news, Whitaker is... special: https://www.syracuse.com/us-news/index.ssf/2018/11/matt_whitaker_bigfoot_toilet_time_travel.html

I mean, just look at the link for a hint and be warned it is much crazier than it seems at first.
Beards are totally a Millenial thing too. Only Millenial wannabees of older generations get beards.

(Also, ffs don't beardshame people. Some of us just can't grow the damn things.)

Max's constant rants about beards makes me think he can't either and is just projecting.
Spoiler: You asked for it. (click to show/hide)

I admire the courage in submitting a picture.

Moustaches are not beards! They are the devil's whiskers. They're only acceptable as part of a bigger beard.
Courage pfft, I'm luscious, and I do prefer a moustache to have accomplices, but it's better than the inverse amish beard.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #25850 on: November 17, 2018, 01:49:19 am »

I dropped the pretence of growing a beard when I realized that at best I looked like Cardinal Richelieu, whereas anyone in Ireland with a mind to grow a beard can get one that is Drakkar-grade after a couple of months.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25851 on: November 17, 2018, 01:57:17 am »

I mean, just look at the link for a hint and be warned it is much crazier than it seems at first.

Is it, though? He ran a fraudulent invention promotion firm; they live by taking advantage of people with terrible ideas and an excess of confidence. It's perfect training for a Cabinet position in this administration.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25852 on: November 17, 2018, 01:58:55 am »

I didn't expect humblebrag toilets and cryptotemporal currency scams, honestly.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #25853 on: November 17, 2018, 02:24:57 am »

@Beard, I personally really dislike having a beard, but I'm sure if I let myself not shave for more than two weeks I'd essentially look like... let's go with Ivan the Terrible.

A toilet for the well-endowed though. The perfect gift for the men in your life who just need that extra space when they do the do.

The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #25854 on: November 17, 2018, 02:32:38 am »

Drakkar-grade

I don't understand what that means in this context

Also goddammit chairman go to bed, it's super late and you're responsible for people's lives or something
Love, scriver~

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25855 on: November 17, 2018, 02:37:24 am »

I didn't either, at least not specifically, but that's the sort of thing you find farther out on the fringes than even the bits of plastic rubbish sold via infomercial. Those, at least, are generally intended to solve a legitimate problem, if not a problem many people have, and therefore to exist.

Whitaker's firm was among those targeting people who never actually intend for their products to exist. You don't actually need to make a humblebrag toilet; you can just get the potential (male) investors in a room and ask anyone who could use the toilet for the exceptionally endowed to raise their hand. Similarly, all you really need to prove regarding time-travelling Bitcoins is that everyone who wants in on the ground floor is as contemptuous of the intellect of the average American as the inventor.

Drawing bad scams like moths to a flame is the whole idea, since bad con men con themselves first.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #25856 on: November 17, 2018, 02:45:29 am »

Drakkar-grade

I don't understand what that means in this context

Also goddammit chairman go to bed, it's super late and you're responsible for people's lives or something
It means that if they choose they can grow a beard that reaches their tummy. You probably can, too.  I assure you it's far from universal ;D

... wow it IS late. Or was.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25857 on: November 17, 2018, 03:16:33 am »

In other news, Whitaker is... special: https://www.syracuse.com/us-news/index.ssf/2018/11/matt_whitaker_bigfoot_toilet_time_travel.html

Isn't that the company that he was part of/involved in which got charged with scamming people? Seems right up there with Trump University. No wonder Trump liked him. Though Trump started distancing himself from Whittaker almost immediately when the controversies exploded.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 03:18:10 am by smjjames »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25858 on: November 17, 2018, 04:38:13 am »

Heh, my folks actually managed to get some money back after getting gipped by Trump University. Good times indeed.

Also, I think my favorite argument against the likelihood of time travel machines is that "if it hasn't existed yet, then it won't exist later". If someone had made one, they would have traveled back in time.

Which provides an interesting thought about a technological feedback loop... You travel back in time with your time machine and deliver the scientific information to an earlier example of your society, catapulting it into the future. But then the future is that much further ahead of the now-past, so you're bringing with you even more advanced technology than your first trip, which again hastens development and makes the future technology that much more advanced again.

So for the timeline leading up to the machine's destination date, everything is progressing at a normal rate until you pop out of the DeLorean and scientific advancement suddenly reaches near-infinity.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25859 on: November 17, 2018, 04:59:59 am »

I think my favorite argument against the likelihood of time travel machines is the physical impossibility of backward time travel.
Pages: 1 ... 1722 1723 [1724] 1725 1726 ... 3567