Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1718 1719 [1720] 1721 1722 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4228985 times)

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #25785 on: November 15, 2018, 08:49:16 pm »

No one mentioned Trump freaking out about midterms and Mueller? I'd link if I wasn't on a mobile.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25786 on: November 15, 2018, 08:55:19 pm »

No one mentioned Trump freaking out about midterms and Mueller? I'd link if I wasn't on a mobile.
We're just used to it.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25787 on: November 15, 2018, 09:11:54 pm »

Ohio's 9th district might be here in a few years. It has been solidly blue for a long time, but that has more to do with "Marcy Kaptur is an insanely popular congresswoman" than it does party, even if Clinton carried the district easily in 2016. When she dies or retires, there isn't going to be a single strong frontrunner to inherit the loyalty, and there are a few planks in the Democratic platform that are pretty unpopular here.

That may not be the kind of scenario in which ranked-choice voting helps the GOP over FPTP, though, since the spoiler effect would presumably work in their favor there and the unpopularity of the platform would affect the entire Democratic slate as easily as a single candidate.

If you'll pardon my stating the obvious, IRV, at least, generally helps the more ideologically diverse party, insofar as it lets parties with a broader spectrum of candidates share a larger pool of second-choice votes. Historically that's been more of a GOP thing, at least where guns and abortion are concerned (and those have been ideologically important), but Trump may make the GOP the more unified party in future on immigration and so forth, in which case I'm with RedKing on this one.

EDIT:
I for one am waiting to see if Mueller does anything tomorrow.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 09:23:09 pm by Trekkin »

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #25788 on: November 16, 2018, 12:06:56 am »

I mean best-case scenario, he just has a mental break but remains just active and ornery enough to be impossible to remove from office without turning his supporters against the party. Then he'll be completely ineffective and yet won't leave the office open for Mike "Ol' Sparky" Pence.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25789 on: November 16, 2018, 12:38:42 am »

I mean best-case scenario, he just has a mental break but remains just active and ornery enough to be impossible to remove from office without turning his supporters against the party. Then he'll be completely ineffective and yet won't leave the office open for Mike "Ol' Sparky" Pence.

That's arguably exactly what's happening, according to reports that Trump is pissed at "damn near everyone." I'd add his own frenetic tweets, but we know those sometimes mark fits of pique rather than anything sustained. Besides, how do we sort out the Acosta rage from the midterms rage, the Mueller rage and whatever he's currently feeling about the reception of his firing Sessions and the uncertain constitutionality of Whitaker's appointment?

Ultimately, he knows he has weeks left before Democrats can subpoena his tax returns. If he thought Comey was trying to blackmail him with the Steele dossier, there aren't many other ways he can parse his enemies getting to  look at his money, and the image of extreme wealth and success is at the core of who he is. What is more, they could intimate whatever they want about his wealth and steal the spotlight in a way he can only really trump by releasing his tax returns.

Had he had that hanging over his head a year ago, his anxiety could be managed, but now half the things his handlers would distract him with are going to worry and anger him more. Heck, even Melania had the nerve to have an official opinion despite her anatomical incompatibility with Trump's chauvinism and there aren't enough upcoming military parades to distract him even without other leaders making disparaging remarks about values. He's got too many directions in which to punch back and not enough Executive Time in which to do it, so we can expect more unhinged decisions soon.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #25790 on: November 16, 2018, 01:28:56 am »

So apparently the Justice Dept accidentally released this text mixed in with the paperwork for an unrelated case (being called a copy-paste error?) that reveals the existence of sealed charges against Assange, and specifically mentions that he is avoiding extradition.

5. The complaint, supporting affidavit, and arrest warrant, as well as this motion and
the proposed order, would need to remain sealed until Assange is arrested in connection with the
charges in the criminal complaint and can therefore no longer evade or avoid arrest and
extradition in this matter.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25791 on: November 16, 2018, 01:39:32 am »

I’m guessing related to Wikileaks.

Also, the arrest warrant is sealed, but needs him to be arrested in order for it to be unsealed, that sounds contradictory and self defeating. He’s also holed up in the Equadorian embassy, though it’s starting to sound like he is beginning to overstay his welcome, or at least straining their hospitality.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #25792 on: November 16, 2018, 01:57:50 am »

Over-stayed his welcome in the sense that new leadership in Ecuador isn't so favorable to him as the ones that originally gave him asylum. 
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25793 on: November 16, 2018, 02:53:33 am »

Just a dumb question, but does Sweden have a statute of limitations for the type of sexual misconduct he is accused of?

As it relates to US jurisdiction,  If Assange can stay another 4 years, he might be able to dodge litigation as well...  (espionage has a 10 year statute of limitations.)

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25794 on: November 16, 2018, 03:12:54 am »

Just a dumb question, but does Sweden have a statute of limitations for the type of sexual misconduct he is accused of?

As it relates to US jurisdiction,  If Assange can stay another 4 years, he might be able to dodge litigation as well...  (espionage has a 10 year statute of limitations.)

Yes, though the investigation's already dropped. It could be reopened before 2020, though, and he's still wanted for failure to surrender to custody. I can't find the statute of limitations on that.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #25795 on: November 16, 2018, 03:14:52 am »

The minor charges in Sweden ran past their statute of limitations in 2015.  The "more serious" charge (quick Wiki check doesn't specify which one is the serious one) expires in 2020.  But Sweden did finally interview him in Nov 2016, and they dropped their arrest warrant in May 2017.  The pretense since then has been Britain wanting him for bail violation.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25796 on: November 16, 2018, 04:32:20 am »

Know what we need more of in politics?

Beards... these goddamn doofy looking kids we have in office are like twice my age, exposing their weak naked little chins to the world as if to say "look at how tame and civilized I am" or some bullshit. I understand the razor manufacturers were really good at selling the idea that manliness involves a shorn face, so fucking what? Kellogg was really good at convincing people mutilating baby penises would keep them from masturbating which was supposedly a huge problem, both practices have lasted far too long frankly. I can't undo the latter easily, but I can make damn sure the former is over, the only time I get cut is if I slip and hit a finger with a saw or chisel!

Well, that and my head hair, it hits my ears and neck and drives me nuts, but I'm not going through the itchy valley of growth again, and besides, learning to deal with little persistent annoyances in a gracious and patient manner is good practice for all sorts of situations a man may face.
Couple that with the inherent isolation of otaku culture, and you have people who get stuck in feedback loops about ridicule, and end up with bad self-image, and bad opinions of other people in meat-space, which reinforces the digital-only communication bottleneck that contributes to the isolation problem.
So you're saying socially awkward loners get on the Internet, where they're made fun of by other socially awkward loners, and thus become more socially awkward and loner? Actually, I can buy that.
Still doesn't completely answer why you kids aren't out there fucking like weasels in heat, though.

And I refuse to believe it's a generational thing. Or if it is, it's post-Millenial. Because I know a number of Millenials (and have slept with a number of Millenials) >_>
...ok fine I'll admit it... I'm in a relationship with... a millenial... she was born just that side of the divide apparently, but I swear I didn't know when we met, I had no idea it would end up like this... all my carefully curated Gen-X coolness, fwoosh, up in smoke because I fell for a chick two years younger than me...

...I DIDN'T KNOW

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25797 on: November 16, 2018, 04:41:32 am »

Know what we need more of in politics?

Beards... these goddamn doofy looking kids we have in office are like twice my age, exposing their weak naked little chins to the world as if to say "look at how tame and civilized I am" or some bullshit. I understand the razor manufacturers were really good at selling the idea that manliness involves a shorn face, so fucking what? Kellogg was really good at convincing people mutilating baby penises would keep them from masturbating which was supposedly a huge problem, both practices have lasted far too long frankly. I can't undo the latter easily, but I can make damn sure the former is over, the only time I get cut is if I slip and hit a finger with a saw or chisel!

Well, that and my head hair, it hits my ears and neck and drives me nuts, but I'm not going through the itchy valley of growth again, and besides, learning to deal with little persistent annoyances in a gracious and patient manner is good practice for all sorts of situations a man may face.
Couple that with the inherent isolation of otaku culture, and you have people who get stuck in feedback loops about ridicule, and end up with bad self-image, and bad opinions of other people in meat-space, which reinforces the digital-only communication bottleneck that contributes to the isolation problem.
So you're saying socially awkward loners get on the Internet, where they're made fun of by other socially awkward loners, and thus become more socially awkward and loner? Actually, I can buy that.
Still doesn't completely answer why you kids aren't out there fucking like weasels in heat, though.

And I refuse to believe it's a generational thing. Or if it is, it's post-Millenial. Because I know a number of Millenials (and have slept with a number of Millenials) >_>
...ok fine I'll admit it... I'm in a relationship with... a millenial... she was born just that side of the divide apparently, but I swear I didn't know when we met, I had no idea it would end up like this... all my carefully curated Gen-X coolness, fwoosh, up in smoke because I fell for a chick two years younger than me...

...I DIDN'T KNOW

So.. I'm technically a millennial, apparently, but millennials are a special breed of feckless numpties and a culture apart.  I cannot count as a millennial, because I have nothing in common with those people.  What then, am I?  To me, millennial is as much a cultural thing as a generational one, and I refuse to be lumped in with them, because it is indicative of an immaturity and unrealistic nature that I don't possess.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25798 on: November 16, 2018, 04:58:27 am »

So.. I'm technically a millennial, apparently, but millennials are a special breed of feckless numpties and a culture apart.  I cannot count as a millennial, because I have nothing in common with those people.  What then, am I?  To me, millennial is as much a cultural thing as a generational one, and I refuse to be lumped in with them, because it is indicative of an immaturity and unrealistic nature that I don't possess.

You're a millennial. Arguing that your feelings on the matter should entitle you to a special classification to acknowledge your nonspecific specialness is the single most stereotypically millennial thing imaginable.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25799 on: November 16, 2018, 04:58:50 am »

I cannot count as a millennial, because I have nothing in common with those people.  What then, am I?
A hipster. For whom, being a millennial is too mainstream.

Ergo, a millennial.
Pages: 1 ... 1718 1719 [1720] 1721 1722 ... 3567