Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1683 1684 [1685] 1686 1687 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4226273 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #25260 on: November 07, 2018, 01:40:00 am »

Inb4 Tofurkey becomes the national meat, because...shit, guys we have to do something with all this soy

And just think how I feel. North Carolina changed NOTHING. All our districts remained in the same hands thanks to gerrymandering.
Meanwhile Iowa turned 3/4 blue and nearly ousted a white nationalist from his stronghold.
Fucking UTAH flipped a district blue, approved medical marijuana, expanded Medicaid and approved non-partisan redistricting. You know shit has gotten surreal when Utah sounds like a progressive utopia by comparison.

Us? We got a constitutional right to hunt and fish. Because we were in danger of....something something not-hunting and can't-fishing.

At least we're not Alabama, which went full theotard and approved a measure giving authority to display the Ten Commandments on government, school and other public properties.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25261 on: November 07, 2018, 01:52:57 am »

Well, Kansans elected Laura Kelly as Governor today, so there's that at least. Maybe our schools will get adequate funding this year.

However, aside from a small (but populous) district in the KC area, the state is as red as ever.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 01:55:13 am by wierd »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25262 on: November 07, 2018, 02:03:55 am »

It seems like a whole lot less blue wave and more muddled mess because Democrats made a lot of gains, but so did Republicans in some ways.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #25263 on: November 07, 2018, 02:06:30 am »

My district went to the incumbent republican carpetbagger. God damn I wish he'd just retire.

But at least Cortez won.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25264 on: November 07, 2018, 02:09:53 am »

The fight between Sen. Feinstein and DeLeon is a lot closer than people thought it would be https://fivethirtyeight.com/live-blog/2018-election-results-coverage/#3846 Not enough to unseat her though, obviously.

*Trump licks himself thickly.* Sounds a little TOO third person to be actually written by Trump though?

Oh hey, the Democrats managed to pick up a Senate seat in Nevada, small consolation prize I suppose.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 02:29:23 am by smjjames »

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #25265 on: November 07, 2018, 03:08:41 am »

The Republican running for senate in NJ ran a bunch of online ads about how he was going to stand up to Trump.  Even tho he's been serious Trump supporter in the past.  Thankfully he lost by a good margin.

My house vote mattered a lot less; the democratic guy was an incumbent who was practically predestined to win.  His/my voting district apparently contains a lot of latinos.  Which was news to me, until I looked it up and apparently my voting district contains two completely distinct pieces of a city that is separated from me by a large body of water.  So jerrymandered to hell and back basically.  I choose to blame Chris Christie.

Am I wrong that democrats took the house?  It seems like they took the house.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25266 on: November 07, 2018, 03:27:23 am »

What, ho! My dear immigrant squatters of America. Have the good forces of good won, or are we still in Episode V of Star Wars?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25267 on: November 07, 2018, 03:34:43 am »

As stated, rather than Blue Wave, it was more of a blue splash.  Narrow control over House. Senate still GOP territory, but that at least means bad legislation can be stonewalled, sorta. (both house and senate must agree to pass legislation to the prez. A narrow lead means there is a strong possibility that some Dem seats will agree to Rep bills, and they will carry, despite opposition.) 

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #25268 on: November 07, 2018, 06:48:10 am »

Aren't we all so glad the Rational and Realistic Democratic candidates like Gillum made sure to pivot to the center? After all, he might actually have won otherwise!

Do I hear a "Manchin For President"?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25269 on: November 07, 2018, 07:09:44 am »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Gillum
Gillum has been classified as a progressive, and is considered to be a politician in the mold of U.S. Senator Bernie Sanders, the highest-ranking elected official to support his primary candidacy.

Perhaps the strategic mistake was to pick someone that far to the left in the first place. In that case, the mistake was who they chose in the first place, not that he tried to appeal to undecided moderate voters afterwards. He only had to do that maneuver because he was too far left to be viable in the first place.

A left-wing bernie-bro who tried to appeal to the moderates. The bit you throw out isn't the "tried to appeal to the moderates" part.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 07:21:54 am by Reelya »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #25270 on: November 07, 2018, 07:25:55 am »

He went from fourth in the polls to first in the polls by backing M4A then turned around to campaign with Clinton in a red state and lost to a guy who made /pol/ tier racist comments.

"Moderates" as exist in this useless loser's strat don't even exist. The right ones always vote Reublican and the left ones don't vote because of this bullshit.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25271 on: November 07, 2018, 07:29:19 am »

Well according to NPR, centrist democrats make up the bulk of winners.

https://www.npr.org/2018/11/07/665103929/7-takeaways-from-election-2018

2. A lot of centrist Democrats will be headed to Congress. That presents an opportunity and a challenge for Democrats.

In order to secure that victory and retake control of the House, however, it took a lot of wins in center- to center-right congressional districts. That can be an opportunity for Democrats to own the middle after an election in which the president did little to win over independents. It's also a challenge in that a new Democratic speaker of the House — presumably Nancy Pelosi, who spoke for the party Tuesday night — will have to try to unify a caucus that will have new centrists as well as a restive progressive base looking to exact revenge on Trump as the 2020 presidential campaign begins to ramp up.

It's probably fortunate that the Democratic party didn't listen to the voices telling them to double-down on far left stuff.

This is just realpolitik, common sense. Both parties have a base who will never vote for the other side. Those aren't the people you need to win over. Elections are won by staking the center, and this is just plain common sense. If the left-wing party needs to win seats then the seats you need to win are further to the right than your current seats, so the candidates who win for you will almost all be more further to the right than your existing candidates.

... And this is where Trump & co screwed up. They failed to understand what things they did in 2016 that appealed to the independent/swinging voters, so they spent two years doubling-down on appealing to only their hardcore supporters. Effectively, they secured the middle by accident in 2016, and now they lost it by assuming that the win was a mandate to go full-on with the right-wing stuff.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 07:56:19 am by Reelya »

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #25272 on: November 07, 2018, 08:19:14 am »

... and Trump completely ignores losing the House, choosing to focus on a commentator saying he’s magic instead for bucking a trend and winning senate seats.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25273 on: November 07, 2018, 08:19:29 am »

I wonder, how is New Zealand this time of year...
Springy?

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25274 on: November 07, 2018, 08:19:45 am »

He went from fourth in the polls to first in the polls by backing M4A then turned around to campaign with Clinton in a red state and lost to a guy who made /pol/ tier racist comments.

"Moderates" as exist in this useless loser's strat don't even exist. The right ones always vote Reublican and the left ones don't vote because of this bullshit.

Sure, but Florida also just extended the franchise to more than a million people. "Plain common sense"  may assume an unchanging electorate in order to simplify things, but we don't have to, and given the previous biases in determining which felons would have their rights restored by gubernatorial mercy we could reasonably expect the state to turn significantly more liberal next term. Furthermore, many get-out-the-vote efforts are more effective in the election after they run.  Yeah, this sucks, but it's not hopeless.
Pages: 1 ... 1683 1684 [1685] 1686 1687 ... 3566