Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1669 1670 [1671] 1672 1673 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4228586 times)

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #25050 on: November 03, 2018, 06:42:41 am »

I use 50ppp, and some links are definitely still broken.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #25051 on: November 03, 2018, 07:21:25 am »

AFAICT the link issue only effects pages with pages after them, and just shunts you onto the next page. In either case, it really is super annoying. I'll send a PM to Toady.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25052 on: November 03, 2018, 08:06:05 am »

I was going to suggest it might be something to do with quotes linking to posts when posts in between have been deleted since, but I gather it's not that?
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25053 on: November 03, 2018, 09:06:05 am »

It's not that. If you click a post's heading then it should put that post at the top of the screen. That works properly if you go to the very early pages, or on whatever is the latest page, but not for a large expanse of pages in between.

It might be possible that Toady did in fact edit the thread to remove a derail, but did something wrong and the thread is borked from that point onwards.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 09:08:57 am by Reelya »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #25054 on: November 03, 2018, 09:30:55 am »

I figure it had something to do with the same break in function of the "new posts" button. I feel as if they appeared st the same time.
Love, scriver~

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25055 on: November 03, 2018, 09:47:15 am »

It came up that clicking quotes in the Ameripol Thread isn't jumping to the correct page.

I went back and checked, and it seems like it broke on page 866, which was around september 19th 2017. Clicking any quote or post title in this thread after that point no longer jumps to the correct position.

This is making it hard to follow conversations, obviously. So to fix that someone would have to alert Toady that's there's some potential glitch in the forum code or the data for this thread. Other than that, maybe it's time for a new Ameripol thread to cover the midterm elections and beyond.

I noticed that once before but thought it was a problem with that particular post, and It's definetly an issue for me here. I also checked out the WTF threads quotes and while one quote seemed to have that error, all others before and after that one were fine. Seems to be thread specific.

If someone hasn't already, I can PM Toady One about it. edit: Sent him a PM a bit ago.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 09:57:09 am by smjjames »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25056 on: November 03, 2018, 09:52:38 am »

In the county I grew up in ALONE,
Misread that as a call for sympathy, for a moment... ;)

(In the county I grew up in ALONE,) there are more than 20 bridges that have washed out since the 30s that need replacing, but never were.
If that county is Hazzard, you just need an orange car with a flag atop, numbers on the side, then a bridge being out is no problem.

Just avoid the two-tone car with the lights atop and star-badge on the side, or you're going to have trouble with usable bridges, bumps on the track, corners, trees, billboards, duck-ponds, barns, chicken-coops, etc.

ETA: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Art_Project - That might be fun, to rile up various people.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 10:02:44 am by Starver »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25057 on: November 03, 2018, 10:12:13 am »

I guess some might rile up over it being a waste of federal resources. It doesn't have appeared to favor any particular art style other than what was popular at the time and it included just about everything that would fall under the descriptor 'the Arts'.

It, like every other New Deal thing, was primarily to offer employment though.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 10:15:05 am by smjjames »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25058 on: November 03, 2018, 11:01:45 am »

It came up that clicking quotes in the Ameripol Thread isn't jumping to the correct page.

I went back and checked, and it seems like it broke on page 866, which was around september 19th 2017. Clicking any quote or post title in this thread after that point no longer jumps to the correct position.

This is making it hard to follow conversations, obviously. So to fix that someone would have to alert Toady that's there's some potential glitch in the forum code or the data for this thread. Other than that, maybe it's time for a new Ameripol thread to cover the midterm elections and beyond.
Toady knows (at least the basics - and, for me, it is not just Ameripol, but I haven't actually tried to tie down with certainty what the pattern is or where the breakpoint(s) exist between Ok and off-function, so not sure it matches your deducted transition) but I have no information about a possible fix. I also scanned the SMF fora themselves, but my glancing through, perhaps overly cursory, didn't identify it as a crossgforum known error.

I'm currently holding a page-number in my head and/or date-of-last completely-read for a small number of threads (or trying to!) where this is an issue for me, and suffering a bit of re-reading to try not to miss anything importantly new.

If my browser hadn't got so many other parallelised tabs upon historic points in threads, held in lieu of even more cumbersome bookmarking options, I might use 'permatabs' upon the truly-last-read point in these victimised threads, but I'm currently thinking I'm doing the best for my situation. If that suggestion works for your simpler circumstance, however, you're welcome to it.

And now I'm expecting to see a pre-ninja reply that obviates everything I just said, but because of the mechanics of things I'm not carefully reading to the current end-of-thread like I really should under normal circumstances. ;)

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #25059 on: November 03, 2018, 11:13:00 am »

Mass shooting at Yoga Studio
Gunman killed three, including himself. Wounded 5 others.

Firstly, on topic, I wonder if these shootings could affect gun-control candidates in the midterms?

Secondly, I feel like there's gotta be a story behind this one. Like, was the gunman's wife fooling around with the yoga teacher?  :o

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25060 on: November 03, 2018, 01:55:29 pm »

A domestic dispute is the running theory, I think, but I doubt it will affect anything. What about this mass shooting would affect anyone still undecided after all the previous mass shootings?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25061 on: November 03, 2018, 01:57:09 pm »

A domestic dispute is the running theory, I think, but I doubt it will affect anything. What about this mass shooting would affect anyone still undecided after all the previous mass shootings?
Well, this one is kind of a special case because it could have easily been avoided if the yogi's chakra owned a gun.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25062 on: November 03, 2018, 02:08:18 pm »

inb4 el prez says yoga studios should have armed guards
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25063 on: November 03, 2018, 02:32:30 pm »

Well, I guess a couple of folks with rocks in the studio wouldn't be so bad.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25064 on: November 03, 2018, 02:36:22 pm »

a gun wouldn't have helped
we need to teach yoga practitioners kung-fu
Pages: 1 ... 1669 1670 [1671] 1672 1673 ... 3567