Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1657 1658 [1659] 1660 1661 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4230139 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #24870 on: October 31, 2018, 03:58:12 am »

It's important however because the birthright law prevents the creation of a stateless underclass of resident non-citizens. if someone wants to sneak fascism in, then that would be the way to do it.

There are about 10 million stateless people around the world currently. If the USA ended Jus Soli citizenship, then that number would start to balloon out, since the USA is the third largest nation on Earth in terms of population. You already have registered US citizens being denied passports along the border. Those people are not recognized as Mexican citizens. If Jus Soli is abolished, then these people's children become stateless residents of the USA, not Mexican citizens. It would be impossible to deport them since no other nation recognizes them as citizens, but they'd be denied all constitutional rights within the USA, in a permanent and hereditary way. It wouldn't take a whole lot of tweaks to the system for you to end up with a ruling class where citizenship is a privilege, and a growing mass of a "serf" class who lack basic democratic rights.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/the_americas/us-is-denying-passports-to-americans-along-the-border-throwing-their-citizenship-into-question/2018/08/29/1d630e84-a0da-11e8-a3dd-2a1991f075d5_story.html?utm_term=.39ea4a885150
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 04:15:55 am by Reelya »

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24871 on: October 31, 2018, 04:01:51 am »

It's important however because the birthright law prevents the creation of a stateless underclass of resident non-citizens. if someone wants to sneak fascism in, then that would be the way to do it.
It sure prevented that super well, huh? :P

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24872 on: October 31, 2018, 04:08:26 am »

Sure USA isn't perfect, but there's plenty of room for it to be far worse. Having a permanent legally-mandated non-citizen class would be one way for things to be far worse.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #24873 on: October 31, 2018, 04:10:29 am »

While I strongly dislike Trump's racially biased reasoning for challenging the birthright to citizenship, I find that I actually agree with the idea.
The piece of land a person is born on has absolutely no influence on who they become as a person, and should never be used as reasoning for what rights they are or are not entitled to. This is an archaic rule with illogical reasoning, and by all rights it should be abolished or at the very least altered.

I agree.  The idea of nations and borders is stupid, and we should get rid of them :)
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #24874 on: October 31, 2018, 04:21:18 am »

I agree.  The idea of nations and borders is stupid, and we should get rid of them :)

I have no outstanding objections to national borders...my issue is simply with classifying people based on which side of the border a person happens to be born on. Someone could be born in the USA, immediately removed and grow up somewhere else, then return one day and be legally considered as American as anyone else. Alternatively, someone could be born just outside the border, be immediately brought in and live their entire life in the US, and then as an adult one day be unceremoniously deported because they have no legal right to be in there.
A more reasonable metric would be to determine that a significant majority of a person's formative years have been spent within the borders to make them eligible for automatic citizenship.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24875 on: October 31, 2018, 04:37:05 am »

I have no outstanding objections to national borders...my issue is simply with classifying people based on which side of the border a person happens to be born on. Someone could be born in the USA, immediately removed and grow up somewhere else, then return one day and be legally considered as American as anyone else. Alternatively, someone could be born just outside the border, be immediately brought in and live their entire life in the US, and then as an adult one day be unceremoniously deported because they have no legal right to be in there.
A more reasonable metric would be to determine that a significant majority of a person's formative years have been spent within the borders to make them eligible for automatic citizenship.

But that still relies on an assumption: that propinquity to a country implies loyalty to that country. Which I think is a fallacy to say the least.

Having such hard and fast, but fallacious, rules does have an advantage in that it erases ambiguity, and just makes the bureaucratic portion of government slightly less maddening. Otherwise, I think that the natural logical conclusion would be something along the lines of:

"Countries have clearly delineated domains, and if you live there then you must pay the specified taxes. Merely living in, working in, being born in, or paying taxes doesn't make one a citizen. Citizenship, and the rights that go along with it, requires conscientious, willing, and diligent service to that country, in either military or non-military positions."

Naturally, this would lead to most people being nationless non-citizens, but free to live and work where they like granted they follow the laws and pay the taxes of whatever plot of soil they happen to occupy; and then a minority of people that choose to tie themselves to their nation and become citizens, and have the rights that that entails: voting, being electable, etcetera.

That's the logical conclusion that I jumped to, atleast.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 04:38:59 am by JoshuaFH »

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #24876 on: October 31, 2018, 04:54:32 am »

Loyalty to a country could mean literally anything. If you wanted to burn every inch of the country until nothing but ashes remain because you genuinely believe that the country would be better off that way, that could be considered loyalty.
In any country where the laws are subject to change at the whims of frequently changing leadership, expecting everyone to like the way things currently are is entirely unreasonable.

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24877 on: October 31, 2018, 05:00:45 am »

A lot of this come down to the system needing to be consistent across borders. If the USA declares someone Mexican and Mexico declares them American you end up with a problem. My understanding is these inconsistencies still sometimes exist but the current rules in the USA are a better match for international standards then a change would be. Someone who knows more on the subject will likely clarify.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24878 on: October 31, 2018, 05:06:53 am »

It's a question of what's worse: Anchor babies or Airport babies.

Why can't they all just be Unborn babies, which are objectively the best kind?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24879 on: October 31, 2018, 05:22:02 am »

It's a question of what's worse: Anchor babies or Airport babies.

Why can't they all just be Unborn babies, which are objectively the best kind?

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24880 on: October 31, 2018, 05:32:52 am »

I prefer deep-fried babies. Airport food always made me queasy.
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24881 on: October 31, 2018, 06:08:53 am »

"Countries have clearly delineated domains, and if you live there then you must pay the specified taxes. Merely living in, working in, being born in, or paying taxes doesn't make one a citizen. Citizenship, and the rights that go along with it, requires conscientious, willing, and diligent service to that country, in either military or non-military positions."

Naturally, this would lead to most people being nationless non-citizens, but free to live and work where they like granted they follow the laws and pay the taxes of whatever plot of soil they happen to occupy; and then a minority of people that choose to tie themselves to their nation and become citizens, and have the rights that that entails: voting, being electable, etcetera.

Service Guarantees Citizenship!
Would you like to know more?

In all seriousness, though, that has problems with what gets defined as "service" and effectively weighting the political power of different public organizations by how many people they employ, so there's now an incentive to do things like enlist everybody the military can get their hands on just to create more military-friendly voters. After all, it's not like the "real citizens" are paying for most of it. Then every other department does the same and now everybody's employed in a largely useless service role and we're back to the status quo but with a bigger underclass of nonpersons.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24882 on: October 31, 2018, 06:16:20 am »

Service Guarantees Citizenship!
Would you like to know more?

This was my first thought also.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24883 on: October 31, 2018, 09:25:43 am »

What do salmon know about borders. They don't even take hints from cascading waterfalls that clearly indicate an exit, not an entryway, to a water system. Their caravan still advances!

And salmon gods are likely even worse!

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #24884 on: October 31, 2018, 09:46:42 am »

While I strongly dislike Trump's racially biased reasoning for challenging the birthright to citizenship, I find that I actually agree with the idea.
The piece of land a person is born on has absolutely no influence on who they become as a person, and should never be used as reasoning for what rights they are or are not entitled to. This is an archaic rule with illogical reasoning, and by all rights it should be abolished or at the very least altered.
I could not disagree more.

The idea of birthright citizenship is to avoid a long-term dispossessed class of people. There are many people in many countries who've lived in a place - for generations! - without having rights. These people become a sort of permanent stateless underclass who are disenfranchised and live with in perpetual fear. And they always live with the specter of the Jews, or for a modern example, the Rohingya. The specter of the statelessness crisis haunted the 20th century; I would rather that that ghost remain to haunt the past rather than the present.
I have no outstanding objections to national borders...my issue is simply with classifying people based on which side of the border a person happens to be born on. Someone could be born in the USA, immediately removed and grow up somewhere else, then return one day and be legally considered as American as anyone else.
The point is that it doesn't actually matter what you sympathize with and care about. Your formative years are irrelevant because being a citizenship doesn't mean you like your government, it means your government is obligated to you. The simple fact is the less automatic someone's rights are, the more we can assume that those rights will be curtailed. It's happened with voting, god help us if it happens to citizenship.

The point of birthplace citizenship is that everyone (or at least the vast majority of people) are born somewhere, and jus solis means that at least some state on this earth will be responsible for them. If people have to apply for their rights like in this unintentional dystopia you've created, there will be many people who have no rights, most likely because a state will say they don't want them. And if the two countries a person grew up in don't want them, then what? You'll say "well there'll be laws to avoid this", to which I say there will be no international legal obligation to make sure that no one falls through the cracks, meaning people will.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now
Pages: 1 ... 1657 1658 [1659] 1660 1661 ... 3567